What pipe is better for Deep Powder/Mountains? Single or Twin?

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is flow just like anything else the more flow the more power. There is alot of old two stroke boys on here that will know lots but adding twin or triple pipes will add HP to you sled. There are quite a few brands out there that will just simply be added with springs, couple things. If you run carberated machine you have to rejet and play. With EFI you'll want fuel control pyros ect.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also for the mtn`s you have to look at the factor of restriction in your exhaust.. The sixe of motor and volume of sair that it moves makes adifference aswell.. Sleds like the M1000 are fine with twins cause they move alot of air.. Other nes like 700`s not so good.. For flat land you need less restriction in your exhaust that you do for up the mtn`s.. This is mainly due to the fact that the air has less oxygen and is thinner at alttitude than flat land.. With carbureted machines and multiple pipes they are a little more finiky than an efi unit..

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So even with a single pipe, everytime I go to the mountains ill be adjusting my jetting bolt till i find the prime set?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So even with a single pipe, everytime I go to the mountains ill be adjusting my jetting bolt till i find the prime set?

No becuase with only one pipe it doesn't have as much volume of pipe to fill and they aren't finiky at all.. For the most part I'd go with a good single pipe becuase i also look at the fact that yes you can usually make a little more power with a set of twins but you are also adding more weight aswell..

snowzombie

Reaction score
Whats a jetting bolt?

Like glen said it depends on the motor and also the type of pipe single/twin and the manufacturer as to how its going to change performance and what needs to be done for jetting. Depending on what elevation your at where you normally ride you may be able to find a jetting combination that will work at home and in the mountains. If your @ 2500-3000' home and your mountain riding is mostly say 6500 you may get away with the same jetting being cautious at home and maybe sacrificing a little in the hills. Most commonly overlooked is not the alltitude but the temp. if its -25 at home and your jetted for that your going to have a slug if you ride a nice -5 day at Revy.

You may want to post under the snowmobile brands section with what type of sled you have and what type of pipe you are considering and see if anyone with that setup can give you more specific info.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I can keep my twins and try to find a balance between home and the regular mountain I ride at?

Hmm I may have to go with a more common pipe.

Im currently running Ceramic Twin Split Second Pipes on a 2004 800 RMK Vertical Edge.

Split Second Pipe seems a lil less common versus SLP, be tougher to find someone else that rides at the same elevation of home/mountain and tries to balance it.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ralphs pipes are good.. Just have to possibly do some jetting when go to the hills.. Other thgan that they shouldn't be to bad.. Maybe give ralph a call and ask his opinion.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jetting tips, White on plug electrodes is BAD too lean, chared brown is good combustion, wet & black is too rich. Best time to check plugs is after good hard 5-10 second run. Another thing if the machine feels really good and snappy at lower elevation be careful once again too lean.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jetting tips, White on plug electrodes is BAD too lean, chared brown is good combustion, wet & black is too rich. Best time to check plugs is after good hard 5-10 second run. Another thing if the machine feels really good and snappy at lower elevation be careful once again too lean.

Do most people jet at home leaner "lower elevation" with the plan to be richer up higher?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For myself i'd figure out what jets i need to run at home, and then figure out what ones i need for the hills and just put the ones in that i need for what i'm going to be doing that weekend..

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack the thread. I just put my ported jugs on and Tom said I should go to 450's to start with, so I was going to try to dial in close as I can at home and let the DPM handel the hills.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack the thread. I just put my ported jugs on and Tom said I should go to 450's to start with, so I was going to try to dial in close as I can at home and let the DPM handel the hills.

The dpm should do that for yah.. But on the other guys sled (rmk 800) it doesn't have that.. That was a very nice feature that doo came out with..

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dpm should do that for yah.. But on the other guys sled (rmk 800) it doesn't have that.. That was a very nice feature that doo came out with..

Agreed Altitude compensator and EFI is the way to go I hate jetting especially triples. Cold wet gas fingers is not a fun way to start the day! Most try to jet for top of hill conditions and run choke at bottom, and stay off throttel.:Snowmobile1:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It's a wise investment to have a Digitron to keep an eye on the Pipe temp as well.
I'm running a 2001 RMK with SLP pipes etc.
I find that I can tell what is happening at a glance with the Digitron, you still have to pull plugs but if your wrong your not doing a rebuild.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
single pipes are better for bottom end which is better in the mountains. twin pipes are good for top end good for flat land.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering for a while if putting a single pipe on a ski-doo with DPM is easier than other carb sleds. Is it usually the initial rejet and then forget about it because the DPM takes care of the rest? Looking at possible upgrades for next year already....

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering for a while if putting a single pipe on a ski-doo with DPM is easier than other carb sleds. Is it usually the initial rejet and then forget about it because the DPM takes care of the rest? Looking at possible upgrades for next year already....

Have been putting dynoport big single's on for a couple of years now and they work really well.. And you are correct that the dpm takes care of the elevation issues for you.

Top Bottom