What kinda tires for alberta trails!

Ranarampage

Reaction score
Hi, Me and my family are new to the area (Beaumont). We are just wondering what kind of trail riding is out here. I have a Can am Xmr 1000 and am sure the silverbacks will do almost all of it. I am planning on buying a Can am outlander XTP max in the coming months for the wife and kid. I am just not sure if the tires that come on it will be good enough or if I should put something a bit more aggressive like big horns on the bike right out of the box. When I am with her I am sure she will be avoiding mud and stuff but the closest trails I can find is hells half acre and people have said mud tires are a must out there. So your advice would be much appreciated :D

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, Me and my family are new to the area (Beaumont). We are just wondering what kind of trail riding is out here. I have a Can am Xmr 1000 and am sure the silverbacks will do almost all of it. I am planning on buying a Can am outlander XTP max in the coming months for the wife and kid. I am just not sure if the tires that come on it will be good enough or if I should put something a bit more aggressive like big horns on the bike right out of the box. When I am with her I am sure she will be avoiding mud and stuff but the closest trails I can find is hells half acre and people have said mud tires are a must out there. So your advice would be much appreciated :D

Big Horn or Zillas are you best bet for an all around tire.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Hubby has Zilla's I use ITP mudlights. Both are great tires, but we don't play in the mud on purpose, we go around if we can, would rather puts the miles on actually going somewhere then putting miles on spinning uselessly in a deep mud hole. And we only by 1 inch bigger from stock size

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try those bighorns out before you waste money on another set I have the stock sets on both our commanders and no flats, one set has 3500 km on them and are only 1/3 worn. Awesome tire as far as I am concerned

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mud lights on my Ranger and like them but wearing out pretty fast! My brother has zillas and really likes them they seem to last really good.

Goondocker97

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 30 year old H-Trak tires with chains on my 1985 250 fourtrax with big chains I keep up with the 800 can ams all day!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd give the stockers a go first...they may work just fine. If you find she's getting stuck too often then it might be time to think about an upgrade, but it would be a shame to throw 800 bucks away on an upgrade you don't really need.

TommyTongue

Reaction score
Hey rampage,
i'm also from beaumont....... I am looking to change my tires on my rzr which is 2 yrs old. Have done well with the stock tires but they aer getting worn now......
There is a good area at alder flats about hour half south on beaumont....... Me and a few neighbours may be heading there sunday if you want to join us....... But not sure if it's a go yet...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zilla's are a great tire.. Bighorns are good also in gravel and hard ground. Bighorns are not a mud tire.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey rampage,
i'm also from beaumont....... I am looking to change my tires on my rzr which is 2 yrs old. Have done well with the stock tires but they aer getting worn now......
There is a good area at alder flats about hour half south on beaumont....... Me and a few neighbours may be heading there sunday if you want to join us....... But not sure if it's a go yet...

Let me know if your going. I am from Leduc and am itching to get out!

Ranarampage

Reaction score
I wont be able to make it out I am working :( Thanks for the help! IN the future I would love to get out there

Fish

Reaction score
Almost all people will tell you zillas but never listen to them. Zillas are probably the worst tires you can get for alberta truely i would rather run stock then zillas. Alberta is almost all swamp and muskeg so the best tire for the job is a outlaw but it sounds if you are looking for a less agressive tire so i would get a MudBug. They are smaller, lighter and have the same effect as a outlaw cause the tread patter is very simular. You dont want a all mud tire out here trust me

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost all people will tell you zillas but never listen to them. Zillas are probably the worst tires you can get for alberta truely i would rather run stock then zillas. Alberta is almost all swamp and muskeg so the best tire for the job is a outlaw but it sounds if you are looking for a less agressive tire so i would get a MudBug. They are smaller, lighter and have the same effect as a outlaw cause the tread patter is very simular. You dont want a all mud tire out here trust me

You sound about as knowledgable as oneeyewilly, zillas are a great tire for every condition, mud bugs are good for their price (very cheap)but are way to stiff and the rubber compound is to hard and sucks when trying to climb over wet logs and such, they just slide around and don't grip anything. Mud lites are alright but wear out fast and dont perform in the skag very well, but are a nice trail tire. Big horns are strictly trail but work very well in that aspect. Buddy just put zillas on his outlander 650 and is very impressed with them over his stockers, most we ride with have zillas and nobody is disappointed in them. They are nice and lite, and are aggressive enough for most everything youll run into, also they last a long time for a softer compound tire and flex and grip very well while going over logs and slippery stuff, and at higher speeds they roll nice and smooth with very little vibration and clunkyness you would get in a cheaper all around tire like a mud bug. Hope this helps

Fish

Reaction score
Sorry i did not meen to realy talk trash about the tire but my general point is alberta is full of swamp and muskeg. These dont have a solid bottom and zillas are meant to dig which means with zillas you spend more time getting your self out of a nasty rut then driving through a terran. Which means you want a tire which has great pull and will push your way through swamps. If you ride mud get a zilla if you ride swamp and skeg get a tire not designed to dig

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Zilla is a better tire than a Mudbug. Period. Both are not pure mud tires. I have ran both on several quads over that years and wouldn't go back to Bugs.

The OP wanted an all-round tire recommendation. To me that means trails, hardpack, rocks, mud, and skeg. If the OP had asked about the best mud tire, I would go with Silverback. If he asked for best skeg tire, I would go with Outlaw or Outlaw2. If he had asked about the best trail tire, I would have said Bighorns....

To be honest, tire threads are tiring. :d

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry i did not meen to realy talk trash about the tire but my general point is alberta is full of swamp and muskeg. These dont have a solid bottom and zillas are meant to dig which means with zillas you spend more time getting your self out of a nasty rut then driving through a terran. Which means you want a tire which has great pull and will push your way through swamps. If you ride mud get a zilla if you ride swamp and skeg get a tire not designed to dig

Either you are referring to MUDzillas or are not really up to speed on the tire situation.............

hobiretired

Reaction score
Many may not agree with me, but if you are going to finance the ATV, make sure you load it up the way you want with hand warmers, tool box, windshield and tires. It wont make a huge difference in your payments. If you pay cash, leave it stock. I have run Mud lites, mudzillas and now have Kenda Executioners. If you are going to play in the mud all the time, go extreme, but for all around riding those three kinds are great.

Fish

Reaction score
Clearly you dont ride the chit i do cause zilla is garbage worst money ever spend they have a realy shitty tread design were all it does is dig. Thats all it has the tred does not cup does not pull over all garbage. For swamps you want something to paddle not dig is that so hard to understand

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom