What kind of belt do you Run on what kind and size of sled ?

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you peeps out there have used other belts than the OEM ones from the dealer.Now that OME belts run around $200.00 bucks.Has anyone one run Dayco belts ie XPX or XTX belts on there sleds and how do they perform vs OEM Ski-doo,Polaris,AC and Yam belts.How well do the top of the line Dayco belts hold up vs OEM belts?Just looking for another option vs buying OEM belts from the dealer.Cheers

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This question I have had as well, those damn things from the dealer are not cheap!! The above mentioned yamaha belt doesn't do us BRP riders any good except breed a bit of contempt towards dealers and factory replacement belts. Or logic would say BRP stuff is a lot better quality therefore inflating the prices.

Chunk

Reaction score
This question I have had as well, those damn things from the dealer are not cheap!! The above mentioned yamaha belt doesn't do us BRP riders any good except breed a bit of contempt towards dealers and factory replacement belts. Or logic would say BRP stuff is a lot better quality therefore inflating the prices.
Thing I don't get is I run the stock $46 belt ($75 in canada). Sled runs an mcx 310 kit. I use one belt every 1000-1500 kms. All mountain riding. Why are some companies belts double or triple the price.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thing I don't get is I run the stock $46 belt ($75 in canada). Sled runs an mcx 310 kit. I use one belt every 1000-1500 kms. All mountain riding. Why are some companies belts double or triple the price.

I plead ignorance due to inexperience ergo the question. I don't want to talk about belt life or wear as I don't want to temp fate or past success. At the end of the day the sport is expensive enough and everyone has a bad day. Leave the park break on, burn up a belt doing what ever. My cross shift at work had a brother in law with a couple of other buddies all running the new cat turbo, day and half they shredded three belts. Two on the one sled with in a hour of each other. Each belt $160+ I guess. I can't remember where I read the article but it had a real valid point. Basically it was comparing moto cross parts to sled parts Vs. warranty and research and development. The skinny version; we as sledders always wanting improvements every year we don't allow manufacturers time to perfect equipment unlike moto cross. Which is almost peaked in technology. You buy a CR250 now there is a good chance you will get the same bike 2 years from now with minimal changes if any. Inflated prices offset "recalls" and "warranty" work while those of us who own brand new sleds almost suffer at times being the R & D department for the sled companies. Thrash a dirt bike motor how much to fix, not a lot. Dine o Mite a 2013 sled without warranty what would the cost be???

Do they factor belt costs help offset costs with money lost to having to fix sleds on warranty or recalls?? Sounds weak. I know a front end replacement isn't cheap if I mess up in the trees either. Maybe they figure to hell with them, they want to have this much fun and still being legal make them pay for it. The wife does say I think about way to much sometimes.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you peeps out there have used other belts than the OEM ones from the dealer.Now that OME belts run around $200.00 bucks.Has anyone one run Dayco belts ie XPX or XTX belts on there sleds and how do they perform vs OEM Ski-doo,Polaris,AC and Yam belts.How well do the top of the line Dayco belts hold up vs OEM belts?Just looking for another option vs buying OEM belts from the dealer.Cheers

I've run the Dayco's and Carlisle's on mod sleds for many years. Used the same Dayco belt for 4 seasons on one sled making 160 hp. Manfacturer belts are pricey because they are a wear part that needs to be replaced and so they stick the mark up on them. Yammy belts are harder but the drivetrain is well built and so its not an issue. Early XP's had poor belts and alignment, result was excessive heat and busted belts. Good drivetrain alignment, venting and clutch set up and you will not heat up a belt. Heat is what will kill your belt. The new Doo's have a cooling system built into the clutch cover to keep the clutches cooler.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a Carlisle belt I bought from Canadian Tire on my 800R (150+ HP), and have done so for four years, no problems. Cost was the issue I went with the aftermarket belt as well, and am very happy with it.

crowsfeet

Reaction score
I tried substituting the factory polaris for a dayco a few yrs back. The belt exploded under heavy load climbing a hill causing a huge overrev and blew the crankseal. That was a huge pain in the ass that probably could have been avoided by spending an xtra 50 bucks on the oem belt. Something to consider

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only run stock yamaha belts on my 290 hp apex. This belt costs about 85 bucks here. I did try all kinds of belts on my vmax4 that had about 170 hp belts for it were 140 from Yamaha I have found Orem belts to be better quality than the others.

Top Bottom