What is your Work Schedule

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 and 2 fly in. i love it. the two weeks at work go by fast enough and 2 weeks at home go even faster. i really enjoy my job though so that probably makes it easier.
x2 on the time at home going by way too fast! I wish my time at camp went as quick, but sometimes it drags on and on.

Assaulter13

Reaction score
I have a 2 days / 2 nights - 6 days off schedule. Working 12 hour shifts. Every 72 day cycle have to work two extra shifts to make up the hours to have a 36.1 work week. I have worked shift work for 30 years and have been doing this schedule for the past 15 --- there is nothing that beats it -- great shift and home every night. I love my job!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tuesday to Friday 10 hr days in the winter, 3 on 3 off 12 hour days with the odd set of nights for relief in the summer. Good and bad in both.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two days, two nights, five off (twelve hour days).

Don't love it.

Assaulter13

Reaction score
Two days, two nights, five off (twelve hour days).

Don't love it.

That doesn't sound too bad SledMamma - what don't you love about it? I get six off after working 2 days/2nights........ but 5 off isn't bad either.

I think the thing about shift work is you have to keep in your mind when you are working that it is working towards the days off. I have been doing it so long that I couldn't possibly work a 5 day week with only two off - I would never accomplish anything with only 2 days off.

So there is a trade-off. I love my days off, and I realize that I have to work the crazy shifts in order to have lots of days off. Working a regular work week would kill me - I guess I have been working shift work for so long that I just look at it optimistically - and I love the days off.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 -10s, 3 day weekend every week is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a 8-5 office jobber. 5 on 2 off. Hate it. Hate sitting at a desk.

Had a 4-10s office job, three day weekends. It was great.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 on 2 off, 15 hour days for the 5 on. Then I get April, May and June off. Love it when I get to the end of March.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently do week in, week out. 7/7, or technically 8/6 if you include travel - fly in. Most common shift for my line of work currently - been doing it for almost 5 years now. I've done 4/3, 5/2, 10/4, 21/7, 6/6 - I think it all depends on your situation. Those who are married or have kids, it's nice to be home more often I think. The 7/7 works for me, but being single I don't think I'd mind a 10/10 or 14/14 as some places offer now. I'd like to try the 28/28 overseas gig one of these years too maybe!

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Camp job I looked at awhile ago was 14/2 or 21/4 working 12 hour shifts.
and of course you travel on your time off.That sounded like a sweet job.
NOT......................

Vets07

Reaction score
i work in camp on a 4 night shifts then 4 days shifts in a 7 days we work a very odd change over schedule its extremely hard on the body as we have a very short change over but LOVE the 7 days off every set. I have worked the 16/12 before and a 7/7 is far better for the family life you can be involved in more.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound too bad SledMamma - what don't you love about it? I get six off after working 2 days/2nights........ but 5 off isn't bad either.

I think the thing about shift work is you have to keep in your mind when you are working that it is working towards the days off. I have been doing it so long that I couldn't possibly work a 5 day week with only two off - I would never accomplish anything with only 2 days off.

So there is a trade-off. I love my days off, and I realize that I have to work the crazy shifts in order to have lots of days off. Working a regular work week would kill me - I guess I have been working shift work for so long that I just look at it optimistically - and I love the days off.

I hate the switch over to nights. And then you come off a night shift, so that first day is not really a day off, just a really tired blurry day... I would rather work four straight days and then work four nights on the next stretch with no switchover in between. I often feel like my five off is spent preparing for the four on... It's hard to explain ;). Maybe I just don't like working as much as sledding??

I could never work a Monday to Friday job with 8 hour days tho... Torture!!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4-2-4-4. 4 on 2 off 4 on 4 off, 10 hour days. Through in a Stat on one of your days off like this Good Friday for example, pick up a TOIL and you have a 5 day weekend. Love it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 on 1 off 1 on 5 days off. Work 8 days a month

24 hr shift

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently do week in, week out. 7/7, or technically 8/6 if you include travel - fly in. Most common shift for my line of work currently - been doing it for almost 5 years now. I've done 4/3, 5/2, 10/4, 21/7, 6/6 - I think it all depends on your situation. Those who are married or have kids, it's nice to be home more often I think. The 7/7 works for me, but being single I don't think I'd mind a 10/10 or 14/14 as some places offer now. I'd like to try the 28/28 overseas gig one of these years too maybe!
Before my current job, I did consulting work, which was a Mon-Fri gig when I was in the office. However; I was a rather popular guy to be sent to site a lot, and I would see all sorts of schedule, and I worked whatever my clients worked. Only problem was, I didn't get the same time off when the job was done. I did some of the overseas stuff, and it's not that great. I've seen 8 weeks on, and 4 off (travel on your time off), and 7 weeks on 3 off (travel on Company time). Some sites can certainly make up for the big work hours with big salaries, but I don't think the time you work, and the time away from home are worth it. You end up losing almost a week of your time off with travel and jet lag (sometime more with jet lag).

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys should post up what you are doing for jobs. I recently left the Military up here in Cold Lake & looking for a new carrer.
Be good to see what shifts go with differnt jobs.

Top Bottom