What Is Wrong?? ^&%%*

snowygaledm

Reaction score
I / We own a 1976 440 Everest Skidoo, We bought this machine a few years ago. When we brought it home we knew it needed some work. Now We've had the machine for several years. My husband put a new Carburator on, New fuel pump, throttle and still the same problem. Runs great when track is off the ground. the moment that the track is placed on the ground and weight is on sled it's like the sled powers down / out. And it's like Possibly the clutch is disengaging and engaging?? We are at the frustration point, I / We have a little knowledge of snowmobile repair so we are totally lost on this one??? Can anyone PLEASE tell us What our possible problem is with this Sled??? All responses or answers Will be appreciated!!!!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I / We own a 1976 440 Everest Skidoo, We bought this machine a few years ago. When we brought it home we knew it needed some work. Now We've had the machine for several years. My husband put a new Carburator on, New fuel pump, throttle and still the same problem. Runs great when track is off the ground. the moment that the track is placed on the ground and weight is on sled it's like the sled powers down / out. And it's like Possibly the clutch is disengaging and engaging?? We are at the frustration point, I / We have a little knowledge of snowmobile repair so we are totally lost on this one??? Can anyone PLEASE tell us What our possible problem is with this Sled??? All responses or answers Will be appreciated!!!!

it could be almost anything from compression to as simple as a belt.....I had a 1977 340 RV Ski-Doo that I did everything from new rings to pulling apart the clutches and replacing the springs....I must have had the clutches off 2 dozzen times playing with different set ups, thinking it was clutching.......the sled ran great when the back end was off the ground but when you took off on the snow it would jump 30-50 feet then fall flat on its face.......the belt even looked good....it sat in the secondary high.......I gave up after months of working on it.....next year I started working on it again....replacing parts left,right, and center......sled was almost new....I wasnt going to let it win.LOL I had way to much into this sled to walk away..........went to canadian Tire and bought a $50 belt......sled was a rocket after that......I was so pissed and the 3 other guys working on it were just as stumped as I was..... so it could be anything from engine to as simple as a belt. man does that story bring back memories of the good old day when sleds were simple. lol!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing I have learned is to look at the simple things first.....belt!

Then progress to the more costly and difficult......

to be honest....we looked at the belt everytime we took the clutches apart......belt looked great......this is why I never suspected it. I always start with the simple things.... the sled also went through 2 shops before I got it.....

whammy

Reaction score
Check chain case for proper tension & drivers and drive lugs on the track.........

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say clutching is the problem. When the machine is on the ground, what are the clutches doing when the engine dies? Is the secondary opening up all the way before the machine starts to move or what? If the secondary is opening wide before the sled starts to move, it's the same as starting off in 5th gear in your pickup, (unless you drive a chevy).

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
funny....just went through the exact same symptoms with a '78 444 Everest. turned out to be the bushing in the secondary sliding half, it is worn and allowing the sliding half to wobble back and forth and stick open on the shaft and stays in "high gear". when you pick the back end up and spin the track it allows it to close again making it look as if nothing is wrong. grab the sliding half and see if it is wobbly....might be the same problem.

dealer can't seem to find the bushing on the fiche, I have to go in and look at them myself and hopefully they can still get them if they are replaceable. looks like the exact same bushing in the sliding half of a TRA primary but no such luck....

newyears013Medium-1.jpg

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
funny....just went through the exact same symptoms with a '78 444 Everest. turned out to be the bushing in the secondary sliding half, it is worn and allowing the sliding half to wobble back and forth and stick open on the shaft and stays in "high gear". when you pick the back end up and spin the track it allows it to close again making it look as if nothing is wrong. grab the sliding half and see if it is wobbly....might be the same problem.

dealer can't seem to find the bushing on the fiche, I have to go in and look at them myself and hopefully they can still get them if they are replaceable. looks like the exact same bushing in the sliding half of a TRA primary but no such luck....

newyears013Medium-1.jpg

uuuhhh, you're missing half of the secondary in that photo there bud.....you're not supposed to start drinking until after the repairs are completed....:D

P.S. Sweet ride. My first sled was a '78 440 TnT

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
uuuhhh, you're missing half of the secondary in that photo there bud.....you're not supposed to start drinking until after the repairs are completed....:D

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahaa

good one Modman! and yes of course you are correct! hahahahahahahaahaahaAA TOO FUNNY :rollinglaugh:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

lol....was about a 6 beer CSI session for the diagnosis, about one beer for disassembly.... :d

this sled is pretty much mint, only the seat cover, hood decals, and handgrips are not original. it even has a cigarette lighter! I remember when they came out brand new, they were the cadillac of sleds back in the day.

newyears012Medium.jpg

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 1980 444 it was a tank, it would not go over snow banks it would go through them. That pin on the secondary holding the spring in would always shear off when I was flying wide open down the road and let go and make one hell of a mess under the hood. LOL Good luck

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the the belt if you can push the belt down between the 2 clutches more than 1.5" the belt worn to much and check the driven clutch by wigging
the sliding half side to side to check for bushing wear which is a common problem but a easy repair with a little heat and a socket and some loctight and a other common problem is the spring is getting weak and the clutch is opening to soon and it also a easy repair by using a center punch and knock the roll pin there should be about 15 pounds pull on the moving half of the clutch we use fish scale to measure the pull .I hope this helps I own a old 78'440 tnt went down this road before

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the the belt if you can push the belt down between the 2 clutches more than 1.5" the belt worn to much and check the driven clutch by wigging
the sliding half side to side to check for bushing wear which is a common problem but a easy repair with a little heat and a socket and some loctight and a other common problem is the spring is getting weak and the clutch is opening to soon and it also a easy repair by using a center punch and knock the roll pin there should be about 15 pounds pull on the moving half of the clutch we use fish scale to measure the pull .I hope this helps I own a old 78'440 tnt went down this road before
did you find a new bushing for the secondary?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol....was about a 6 beer CSI session for the diagnosis, about one beer for disassembly.... :d

this sled is pretty much mint, only the seat cover, hood decals, and handgrips are not original. it even has a cigarette lighter! I remember when they came out brand new, they were the cadillac of sleds back in the day.

newyears012Medium.jpg

thems some pretty sexy grips you have there troy!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thems some pretty sexy grips you have there troy!!!
I wish I could say they were mine, but sadly it is a friend's sled that his wife rides. I do have first dibs on it tho when he wants to sell....grips will be the first to go...lol

team secondary conversion problem solved
I would hate to make LHF's wedge look silly with the '78 444....might be too much trackspeed.

found a bushing, actually 3 of them at the local 'doo dealer. there were no part numbers, and the fiche didn't show them as a changeable part. the parts girl just did inventory, and when she saw the bushing that was still inside the sliding half she remembered seeing the same color material inside a bushing she catalogued in the parts room. they had no part number, no knowledge of what machine they were for, or who ordered them back in 2003. I bought them all....6 bucks a piece :)

Mac Daddy

Reaction score

I would try tearing carbs apart and cleaning jets,needles ect,in parts washer very good.Had simmaliar problems that were corrected this way.

Top Bottom