what is the biggest track lug I can go with?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been all over the net and cant get an ansewer. my 87 alpine twin track will be here in a week and was wondering what the biggest track I can put on it. it has a 139x15 with maybe 1/2 inch lugs. the pitch is a 1.97. it uses the same pitch as a tundra. the alpine uses boggies and the trundra uses sliders. can I go with two tundra rear skids and two tundra tracks if my drive axle uses the same pitch? Alpine uses a 9 tooth driver but looking I might be able to get a 8 tooth driver? there must be some older guys out there that played with these type of old work sleds in the old days lol. the alpine II uses slider skid. I wondering if the boggie set up will give better traction since it will mold to any ground surface? I would like to run a 1 inch lug or maybe a 1.5 max.

any input would be great!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes he has a very cool sled! saw it at the edmonton sled show in the back of his truck. a total work of art! 2 thumbs up!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try bolting on some of those Plastic paddles. Our S/C has a 96 Scandic SWT and we are going to try some just to give us a little more grip in soft snow. Should help for sure when off trail

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember those plastic paddles from my younger years lol. before there were long tracks and 2 inch rubber tracks. I guess they did their job but boy did they suck on the trails that had ice on them. this year there is alot of ice the last few KM on most trails around here. dont feel like crashing! lol

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you can always "make" a 2 inch track fit under one, and make your oen skid to fit it, my friend bought a alpine twin track and the first owner stuffed a suzuki 750 engine in it and it hauls ass with the 5 speed, and still has the alpine gearbox.

Top Bottom