What is the best winter tire for towing?

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
I have a set of duratracs on my duramax and my dad has a set of goodyear silent armours on his power stroke, both great in the winter. Id say the silent armours are a little bit better on ice, and better mileage, quieter. The duraratracs are better in snow, and look better IMO. Cant go wrong with either.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X8 for the studded Hakapalitas. Not as sexy as the duartracs but what your after if your serious about traction on icy roads.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm going to run a set of studded Toyo mud terrains. Mostly due to full blowin winter tires not standing up well to our gravel roads.

That, and finding 35" 'winter' tires is pretty tough.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
canadian tire goodyear wrangler studded have run them for 4 years and never had a problem and the price is about 300 less then fountain tire. the payload on most tires like blizzaks are low as a tire like the wrangler are very high the ride is harder but the tire side wall won't flex i found the the truck had a tendency to roll on the tires and loose traction with 2 sleds on the deck

Blizzaks and Winter LTXs are available in an E rated tire.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying out the toyo CT's this year, 3 peak snow rated tire, also are able to be studded

spikeydave

Reaction score
I ran the toyo wlt1 last winter and they were great on my diesel. They where the only winter tire I could find in a 285/75-17. Load e and towed my trailer without any concerns. Someone stole them this summer and ended up looking at many other options but for piece of mind purchased another set for this winter.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a set of studded Winteforce I'm selling, 275/70/18 LR E, only 1500K on them, they measure around 33"

JDen

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for the factory studded Nokian Hakkapillata or however it's spelled LT2 from this guy! Ran them last winter and they'll be going back on this winter.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm going to run a set of studded Toyo mud terrains. Mostly due to full blowin winter tires not standing up well to our gravel roads.

That, and finding 35" 'winter' tires is pretty tough.

This is kinda why I like duratracs they stand up decent and are winter rated. With large selection of sizes.

Adam31

Reaction score
Just priced hakka lt2 for my f350 and hakka 8 for the wife's 4 runner both studded, $2300 otd thought that was a decent price.

DooDoo

Reaction score
studded hakkas are the best by far. I have tried others and nothing compares. I tow a backhoe around in the winter and I have not had and issues with slipping around.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money studding duratracs. They are a good all around oil field tire but the studs pound in the rubber because the rubber is too soft. I'm running them on my service truck but if it were my personal truck it would be Hakka's or winterforce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How and where do you get them studded? Be interested in trying a set myself..

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Goodyear durtracs or the silent armours. Durtracs are stud able. That will hook you up guaranteed!

Both have the snowflake sign on them.
x2 have then on my 2500 duramax and love them year round.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How and where do you get them studded? Be interested in trying a set myself..

The best by far is to buy them pre-studded. They are done in the factory. The studs last much longer. I drove from November to mid April with my Nokians and I don't think I lost more than a total of 5 studs on the 4 tires.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best by far is to buy them pre-studded. They are done in the factory. The studs last much longer. I drove from November to mid April with my Nokians and I don't think I lost more than a total of 5 studs on the 4 tires.
Yes they install proper studs

Most tire shops that stud have some retarded punk kid doing it, half them don't go in the hole way ect

Top Bottom