What? Hearing Aids...

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I've been approved for hearing aids through WCB due to previous noise exposure in the workplace. My symptoms include reduced hearing (obliviously), and tinnitus. The tinnitus set in permanently after a BAD case of vertigo then sent me to the emergency ward at the hospital one morning in April! The vertigo was so bad that they initially suspected a heart attack or a stroke was the cause. I no longer have vertigo, but the tinnitus has been with me since the day after the hospital visit.

I know nothing about modern hearing aids but understand that they have come a long way. I'm looking for any recommendations and advice than anyone has to offer. I know they can now be controlled via your phone, some take batteries, some are re-chargeable, some go behind the ear, and some go in the ear canal, but that is about it!

Please, any advice is appreciated.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Starkey's from Living Sounds in Sherwood Park ( Synergy Center ) Pretty high tech, ya, can control from the phone, lots of settings for wind, masks, restaurants etc. I went with battery power as I remote camp sometimes, no power source. They are very comfortable to wear. Not cheap ( WCB paid foe a portion, my health care plan at work the rest. I had a cheaper set a few years ago, Living Sounds dis all my paper work for WCB ( the first guy missed that it was work related ) and even put in my annual mileage claim to WCB for the annual hearing test.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Starkey's from Living Sounds in Sherwood Park ( Synergy Center ) Pretty high tech, ya, can control from the phone, lots of settings for wind, masks, restaurants etc. I went with battery power as I remote camp sometimes, no power source. They are very comfortable to wear. Not cheap ( WCB paid foe a portion, my health care plan at work the rest. I had a cheaper set a few years ago, Living Sounds dis all my paper work for WCB ( the first guy missed that it was work related ) and even put in my annual mileage claim to WCB for the annual hearing test.

Nice! I've been going through Living Sounds (Camrose) as well. They seemed good. For the claim I submitted it with the help of our OH&S advisor at work. She really knew her stuff and made sure everything was submitted with nothing missed. I have my consult at Living Sounds next week so am looking to gather as much info as possible.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
One stop shopping--they look after everything for you from your first visit forward. Lethbridge Hearing Centre. Great people to deal with--family owned too. All your questions will be answered professionally. I have been using them for 10 of the 15 years that I have had hearing aids.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the conventional behind the ear model and they work pretty well for most situations. They take a replaceable battery which are paid for by WCB. Rechargeable batteries are okay if you charge them nightly but if they go dead you have no option other than to find some juice for your charger. A friend got the in ear canal ones and doesn't like them as well as the behind the ear ones. I think it is because the sound you hear all goes through the hearing aid whereas the behind the ear ones have a bit of opening so you hear natural sound besides the amplified sound. At least that's how my audiologist explained it to me. I have the custom molded ear pieces that were made specifically for my ear canal and not the generic ones that normally come with the hearing aid.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Go to Costco, half the price of anywhere else and good quality, they also will match your hearing aids to your phone and give you an app, most hearing aids are biased toward apple phones and Costco just got the android ones before I needed mine, I have been running mine for a year now with no issues.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to Costco, half the price of anywhere else and good quality, they also will match your hearing aids to your phone and give you an app, most hearing aids are biased toward apple phones and Costco just got the android ones before I needed mine, I have been running mine for a year now with no issues.

What brand of hearing aids does Costco carry?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup I agree. Got the same ones at LS Sherwood Park except rechargeable. They work very well. I had an issue with the charger but WCB covers repairs. Ended up with new charger case and new hearing aids.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who's deaf and has very little money. What's the best of the worst hearing aids?

Top Bottom