What happened?

oldtimer

Reaction score
2001 800 summit, 3000km Only had about 3 hours this winter. Son-inlaw took to mountains, 2 miles from staging siezed up. Tore down tonight, flywheel side cylinder scored. Rings not broken, plugs nice and brown, piston domes look good, nothing jumps out. First time tearing 2 stroke apart. Boots look ok (previously replaced)
Any ideas on cause of failure. Thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it scored up on four spots around the piston? My guess he didn't warm it up and cold seized it. Thats how you get four corner scoring.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Likely a cold seizure, need a photo of the piston as stated above.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2001 800 summit, 3000km Only had about 3 hours this winter. Son-inlaw took to mountains, 2 miles from staging siezed up. Tore down tonight, flywheel side cylinder scored. Rings not broken, plugs nice and brown, piston domes look good, nothing jumps out. First time tearing 2 stroke apart. Boots look ok (previously replaced)
Any ideas on cause of failure. Thanks

Oil pump failure or cold seize. T-stat could have been stuck closed, then suddenly released as he got it to full temp up the trail. Its 13 yrs old so an oil pump failure or sticky t-stat is not out of the question. If he didn't warm it up then cold seize is very likely.

oldtimer

Reaction score
Sled 014.jpg Sled 015.jpg
If stuck thermo or n/g oil pump would we not see damage to both?

Thanks

Attachments

• Sled 013.jpg
    Sled 013.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 410

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I know. St. Albert , absolute power I beleive.

Sent from my iPhone

96sherm

Reaction score
Thats what my 2011 Assault looked like. Reason for mine going like that was the PTO side crank seal was wrecked from flying crank bearing parts... Some food for thought...

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my '01 800 Summit did the same thing 2km from the truck a few years back. But it stuck so hard it took out 1 jug, had to hammer the piston out of the jug lol! Found the waterpump impeller not in good shape, think the Doo dealer said it was a press onto the shaft and was slipping? Cost me about a grand to rebuild the motor and I did 75% of the labour myself. Took the bottom end to the dealer to have the crank trued and all seals replaced. Jug would have been the most expensive part but found a good used one for a big bottle of whiskey. :D

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cold Sieze??? Really?....2 miles down the trail??

By 2 miles, everthing should be warm, no?

It could of scored it up then get progressively worse and have taken that long to totally wreck it. Heck T&T voided my warranty cause they told me I cold seized my motor and put on 40 miles before miles before it seized. So apparently anything is possible! Lol

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats probably when the thermostat opened.

Stopped my cat middle of the day on the mountain, popped hood up, cold day, ate lunch, 15 minutes later fired up the hill, cold seize in about 1 minute. Cold seize can happen anytime if you have a slug of cold water in the heat ex-changer and your thermostat is closed. didn't think it could happen once you're already riding, but can as well. what happens is once thermostat opens, slugs in all cold water, cylinder begins to contract. BOOM. always make sure your exchanger is warm and circulating before riding. if not, sudden rush of cold water can seize your engine.

PS one more notch against your son in law.....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats probably when the thermostat opened.

Stopped my cat middle of the day on the mountain, popped hood up, cold day, ate lunch, 15 minutes later fired up the hill, cold seize in about 1 minute. Cold seize can happen anytime if you have a slug of cold water in the heat ex-changer and your thermostat is closed. didn't think it could happen once you're already riding, but can as well. what happens is once thermostat opens, slugs in all cold water, cylinder begins to contract. BOOM. always make sure your exchanger is warm and circulating before riding. if not, sudden rush of cold water can seize your engine.

PS one more notch against your son in law.....

x2 on this ^ exactly what I posted on another thread that got deleted. After lunch is a prime time for cold seizes.

He says 2 miles but what was the real distance..2 kms? The tow back always seems longer, even if its only 200 yrds.

oldtimer

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback and information.

As for the son-inlaw?
He owes me big. haha

crwdplsr

Reaction score
I have a complete motor here still in a complete sled that I have for sale, considering parting it out. Can also get you replacement pistoins and a renicked cylinder and top end gasket kit for about 700 bucks. Can usually do a top end job like yours for under 1200 labor and parts in. Mike 1-403-704-0825

Last edited:
Top Bottom