What Gauge Wire?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
What gauge wire have you ran to the back of your trucks for charging on the 7 pin plugs? I need to buy the supplies to take on this task myself tonight, and want to know what is best. My dad suggested using 6gauge but I'm not sure if thats too thick or not.

Also, who runs their charging through a solenoid as opposed to direct on a fuse or circuit breaker? Which do you prefer/recommend and why?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
What guage wire for charging trailer battery?

I would only use a 16 or 14 guage wire..... It's only meant to trickle charge the battery on the trailer and keep it chargedand if you look at the trailer's plug wiring, you'll see its probably only a 16 guage wire(maybe 14 ga);) ........... Did you pick up the trailer yet???:confused:

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I would only use a 16 or 14 guage wire..... It's only meant to trickle charge the battery on the trailer and keep it chargedand if you look at the trailer's plug wiring, you'll see its probably only a 16 guage wire(maybe 14 ga);) ........... Did you pick up the trailer yet???:confused:

No Sir, not yet, finished the paperwork and got to actually see the trailer on Saturday, I will be picking it up April 27, after work, I just need to get the wiring on my truck done before I do that.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Wiring

Yea, wiring is pretty easy and basic, but it can be quite time consuming....... Be sure to use wire loom to put around all the wires to protect them from the elements. And use solder if you can, rather than electrical "squish" connectors, especially with a new trailer and i suspect you're gonna keep your truck a while, right??? good luck..... :d

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, wiring is pretty easy and basic, but it can be quite time consuming....... Be sure to use wire loom to put around all the wires to protect them from the elements. And use solder if you can, rather than electrical "squish" connectors, especially with a new trailer and i suspect you're gonna keep your truck a while, right??? good luck..... :d

That is definitely the plan, Solder,Shrink wrap tube, then wire loom. My trucks not going anywhere for quite a while, I'll be sure to make the connections work for the long term :)

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use 12 gauge for the charge wire and the solenoid is a good way to go also, that way if you leave your tow vehicle connected while using the battery power in your trailer it will not discharge the vehicle battery as well. Just remember if you decide to use a solenoid make sure that it is a continous duty solenoid and not a intermediate start solenoid. Best way to do the light wiring is to spend the money and buy the proper T connection that way there is no cutting wires. You may also want to check the Reese web site to see if your tow vehicle requires a turn signal modulator. Like was mentioned before protect your wiring

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Its already partially wired, its got 4 wire now I just need to upgrade to 7 wire. I never even thought about the different kind of solenoid, that is an excellent point, I will check at princess auto and see if they have the other type. Unfortunately there is no T-Connection available for my tow vehicle, I've looked everywhere, even direct from Ford there is nothing out there for the 2001 Explorer Sport Tracs.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at the steelership where i work we use 12g right from the under hood electrical center

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
at the steelership where i work we use 12g right from the under hood electrical center

Thats what I'm going to run as well, but I'm not sure what you mean by under hood electrical center, I'm not comfortable tapping into my under hood fuse box. The wire on the adapter I bought was 12 gauge so thats what I'm running to the back, but I still kind of want it on a solenoid.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I'm going to run as well, but I'm not sure what you mean by under hood electrical center, I'm not comfortable tapping into my under hood fuse box. The wire on the adapter I bought was 12 gauge so thats what I'm running to the back, but I still kind of want it on a solenoid.
usually there is a positive stud around or just under the plastic of the under hood fuse box specificaly for this purpose,but i work at a gm dealer may be slightly different on ford or dodge,but you should have it tied into there specificaly for surge protection and into a 40amp fuse that way if anything shorts it wont be looking for a ground through your ecm cause computers love that

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Tylerg

usually there is a positive stud around or just under the plastic of the under hood fuse box specificaly for this purpose,but i work at a gm dealer may be slightly different on ford or dodge,but you should have it tied into there specificaly for surge protection and into a 40amp fuse that way if anything shorts it wont be looking for a ground through your ecm cause computers love that
we have an "exploder" in my shop right now, and they don't have the positive stud that slomo is talking about(it's mostly a GM thing).... Just go right off the battery, but like slomo said, but a 30 - 40 amp fuse before the solenoid you're going to install...... Thats about it. Good luck:)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
we have an "exploder" in my shop right now, and they don't have the positive stud that slomo is talking about(it's mostly a GM thing).... Just go right off the battery, but like slomo said, but a 30 - 40 amp fuse before the solenoid you're going to install...... Thats about it. Good luck:)

I wonder how painful it'll be to fry myself while trying to remember all this fancy stuff. lol I did manage to find a "power on" lead for my solenoid, now its just a matter of waiting for this slushy crap to leave again so I can run my wires.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Tg

i wonder how painful it'll be to fry myself while trying to remember all this fancy stuff. Lol i did manage to find a "power on" lead for my solenoid, now its just a matter of waiting for this slushy crap to leave again so i can run my wires.
its quite easy, just a little time consuming. Missed you at "average joes" last nite...... All the guys kept glancing at the door everytime someone walked in to see if it was you. No one really knows what you even look like. It was a good gathering. :p

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
its quite easy, just a little time consuming. Missed you at "average joes" last nite...... All the guys kept glancing at the door everytime someone walked in to see if it was you. No one really knows what you even look like. It was a good gathering. :p

I woulda been the guy in the Trailseekers Hoody. However I did not make it, the last 2 I haven't made due to the stupid snow coming down. I'm in camping mode now, lets get rid of the local snow.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most charging wire are 10 gauge, and the rest of the wires being 14 gauge. oh yeah the ground should be 10 gauge also. trailer brakes wire should be 12 gauge. here is a site to goto : http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
hope that will help you

rmk 800

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
most charging wire are 10 gauge, and the rest of the wires being 14 gauge. oh yeah the ground should be 10 gauge also. trailer brakes wire should be 12 gauge. here is a site to goto : http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
hope that will help you

rmk 800

Thanks RMK800 I finished the project on Sunday, I ran 12 gauge for my charge wire, don't have brakes hooked up, and my ground was a 12 gauge as well that is drilled into my frame. I'm ready for the 27th (pickup day)

Top Bottom