What first ATV to buy?

levy1

Reaction score
What first ATV to buy?
I am 62 and hated to do it but sold my last KTM 2 stroke 250 bike a few months ago. I want to start ridding ATVs. I am a very aggressive rider but never excelled at great skills. I rode in major trails and loved the 2 stroke ktms for their lightness and ability to work on them. I generally do every modifications known to man on my bikes. Now I want to try a quad. I have around 3K to spend. Dont know 2 or 4 stoke. I do not want to be under powered or over powered. 2 wheel drove or 4. I will be ridding forest trails. Please give me some ideas. Thanks
62, 190 lbs. 6ft
Fred

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I were in your situation, I would try out the YFZ 450X It's similar to the "R" but is built for the trails with a narrower frame and a-arms. Unfortunately 3 grand won't cut it. Just a thought.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sounds like the 500HO Polaris's would fit. They may not be fast enough for you but lots of power for a 500! The wife and I double on ours on forestry roads and bush roads up to 8000' and have never been under powered.

Don't know about the $3G limit tho'.....:d:d:d:d

Stillrockingabanshee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weel! What are the lotta other choices? I want to go fast enought not to hurt myself>

by a lot of other choices, i mean, quads like the trx250r, banshee, lt250r, lt500r (quadzilla), 250r honda trike, 250 yamaha 2 stroke trike, then it comes to 4 strokes, which you have a wide variety. Like the yfz450, ltr450, honda 450 quad ( i forget the name of it). And the list goes on. But keep one thing in mind. 2 stroke quads you count em on your fingers. 4 strokes, you gotta write em down to remember them.

ABKTM

Reaction score
If you're into sport quads, and a 4 stroke, and you liked the KTM bikes, why not stick to a ktm quad? I ride an 09 xc450. I've seen some 08's down in the states going for close to your budget. Its a rocket, and its a ktm! I'd look for an xc450 or xc525, whatever you can find in your budget, if you're riding trails and roads stick to the XC over the SX as the SX was a motocross version.

I have seen a couple in the 3500 range for an 08, used, you can still find them in crates in some places for around 5500.

This xc450 is my first quad, I also came from dirt bikes.

Jordan

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a few sport quads, my favourite by far was the Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS. It has more than enough power, reverse, and independant rear suspension. It is a tad heavier because of the irs, but at the end of the day, your body won't hurt as bad as riding a solid axle quad. It also has tons of ground clearance, which really helps out when your trying to get through a rutted trail. Just my 2 cents, but it would be foolish to by a trail bike without reverse.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What first ATV to buy?
I am 62 and hated to do it but sold my last KTM 2 stroke 250 bike a few months ago. I want to start ridding ATVs. I am a very aggressive rider but never excelled at great skills. I rode in major trails and loved the 2 stroke ktms for their lightness and ability to work on them. I generally do every modifications known to man on my bikes. Now I want to try a quad. I have around 3K to spend. Dont know 2 or 4 stoke. I do not want to be under powered or over powered. 2 wheel drove or 4. I will be ridding forest trails. Please give me some ideas. Thanks
62, 190 lbs. 6ft
Fred
Mind you your in the USA and prices are generally allot cheaper than in Canada.......new or used...... you will find something in your price range i'm sure........just* a thought, maby try sport city cyclery in Montana.....they could probably hook you* up or at least let you test ride different brands as so you know what you want.......and there isn't any sales tax in Montana. Hope you find what suits you best. cheers!

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe try a Polaris Scrambler,a fun ride in 2wheel but also have the option of 4x4 for when needed.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a few sport quads, my favourite by far was the Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS. It has more than enough power, reverse, and independant rear suspension. It is a tad heavier because of the irs, but at the end of the day, your body won't hurt as bad as riding a solid axle quad. It also has tons of ground clearance, which really helps out when your trying to get through a rutted trail. Just my 2 cents, but it would be foolish to by a trail bike without reverse.

AGREED!!!! ... and you will definitly want reverse!

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you need to get a better idea of what you want.

2wd or 4wd?
solid axle or irs?
4 stroke or 2 stroke?

for sport quads I'd look at an outlaw 525 or kfx 450 or ktm 525 or raptor 700 all those machines have reverse and solid axle 4 stroke, the outlaw is available in solid axle or irs

If you want a utility quad anyone will get you through the nasties just depends on your preference, most are irs with tons of 4 stroke power

If you want something inbetween sport and utility (sporty with 2 or 4wd)
wolverine 450 (although kinda small and underpowered)
renegade 500 or 800 (seem to do everything well, don't need any mods)
scrambler 500 alot of fun to ride (could use power and supension upgrades)
scrambler 400 like the 500, with more hp available (its a 2 stroke)

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There all nearly the same ( except for POL0 )so its what suits YOU the best.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have been riding dirt bikes your whole life, you will be dissappointed with the throttle response and "get up and go" of a 4x4 quad, unless you get a big bore v-twin. In my opinion, you will be much happier with a sport quad. The power to weight ratio is much better. Unfortunately, the solid axle sport quads are very rough riding on ruts and roots and those types of trail conditions. Any time I have tried riding a sport quad on rough trail, I find myself standing in a hunched position trying to soak up the impact of the rough ride. I think you should take something with independant suspension in a sport model for a rip... TRX 700xx, or the Polaris Outlaw...and I think it has the KTM engine in it as well... not a hundred percent sure of that. Good luck man! :d:beer::d

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started riding dirt bikes at 10 yrs old and raced motocross in my teens. My first quad was a 660 grizzly, went through everything but felt like a slugish heavy tank (compared to 2 stroke dirt bikes) My 400 scrambler will walk away from a grizzly, is lighter, has more power (60hp aprox) more suspension travel (10.5 rear 8.7 front) and rides like a sport quad.

Polaris outlaw IRS 525 does have the KTM motor, looks like a fun machine. Irs is a much smoother ride, no doubt about it.

Top Bottom