What do you think happened here?

duch17

Reaction score
Pto side. Other side is perfect.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you know already and this is a test? In Nascar when an engine blows up and a rod goes thru the oil pan they call it an oil pan failure !

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have the EXACT same failure on the PTO side as we'll except mine also has some detonation along the top of my piston, on the exhaust side. I have a piston almost identical to your first picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks lean to me, not much piston wash at all,

sent while I should be drinking tea's

duch17

Reaction score
Riding at boulder , started it up and drove it out of trailer, shut it off and got geared up to go and had a hard time starting it but got it started with new plugs and warmed it up for 4 or 5 mins, temp gauage was reading 20 c sled has no thermostat. Basically idled it over to show my pass and drove slowly up over the bridge and it died at first corner.

duch17

Reaction score
One person says deto another thinks cold seize, no pinging or knocking. Sensor never picked anything up. Bad fuel? Running chevron 94 with gallon of c12.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm no expert by any means but it sure looks like cold seized to me, and a big handful of throttle.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How cold was it that morning Tristan? Did you pin it when you left the lot? O rings and base gasket look good when you tore it apart? By the pics hard to tell if front or back of piston or both?

duch17

Reaction score
Damage was all around the whole piston which lead me to believe it was cold seize. No damage to the top of piston. There was alot of snow on the sled from the day before which makes me think that the sled never had enough time to warm up. The top end is at big johns now and he thinks bad fuel along with deto.

duch17

Reaction score
Orings and gasket were fine and I was basically ideling up the trail till it died

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a pinch to me, my guess is cold seize. If it was while riding IO would say maybe snow ingestion but on the trail unless you had a bunch of ice or water in the intake somehow looking like a care of the cold seize to me

Top Bottom