What do I need to Register???

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, guys, here is the scoop.

I have wanted a fox body style mustang for years. Can't seem to find one in nice shape in my price range. I possibly found a good car, but it has been "branded" (stolen and recovered). I am assuming the car can't be registered because of this. The car is a 91.

I can get an 81 mustang that is in need of serious help for next to nothing.

My question is, what would be required between the 2 cars so that I can register on. I want basically everything from the 91. To be honest, the only thing of value on the 81 is the VIN#.

Anybody have any experience with this. I have seen front end swaps, and engine swaps, etc. and the body on the 81 is OK, no rust or dents. Just not sure what percentage is to much of a swap, what has to be from the 81, can I just switch the VIN# (doubt that one)???

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Couleeman, your 91 can be registered, as long as it is "branded" as repairable and not SALVAGE ONLY.
Once you have found this out, do the repairs nessasary to make it drivable again, you may want to find a local shop that that does salvage inspections for guidelines. Make sure that you have good tire & brakes on it, make sure the frt end is tight, that the horn works, all lights work, all seat belts work properly, windshield isn't cracked, ect. All these things need to be addressed before you can register it.When you have all this done, you then go to where you would get your licence plate and get a "Request For Inspection" form. Take that form to a licenced inspection facility, (you can get a list of local shops when you get your form), and get it inspected.
You will need to get to inspections done, one for the mechanical and one for the body integrity, two separate inspections so you will get charged twice. If the car fails any of these inspections you have 14 days to fix the problems and have it reinspected at no additional cost. If you wait longer than 14 days to repair you will get charged for both inspections again. Once you have passed these inpections take the proper paper work to get your insurance and licence plate and start enjoying your new ride.

All of this may sound intimidating but if your somewhat mechanically inclined it can be a very cheap way of getting into a new ride.

My personal truck is a repaired write-off and I'm working on on right now for my sister in law.

Good Luck with it.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Couleeman, your 91 can be registered, as long as it is "branded" as repairable and not SALVAGE ONLY.
Once you have found this out, do the repairs nessasary to make it drivable again, you may want to find a local shop that that does salvage inspections for guidelines. Make sure that you have good tire & brakes on it, make sure the frt end is tight, that the horn works, all lights work, all seat belts work properly, windshield isn't cracked, ect. All these things need to be addressed before you can register it.When you have all this done, you then go to where you would get your licence plate and get a "Request For Inspection" form. Take that form to a licenced inspection facility, (you can get a list of local shops when you get your form), and get it inspected.
You will need to get to inspections done, one for the mechanical and one for the body integrity, two separate inspections so you will get charged twice. If the car fails any of these inspections you have 14 days to fix the problems and have it reinspected at no additional cost. If you wait longer than 14 days to repair you will get charged for both inspections again. Once you have passed these inpections take the proper paper work to get your insurance and licence plate and start enjoying your new ride.

All of this may sound intimidating but if your somewhat mechanically inclined it can be a very cheap way of getting into a new ride.

My personal truck is a repaired write-off and I'm working on on right now for my sister in law.

Good Luck with it.

Thanks, I would guess it isn't a salvage title as the car is suppose to be in good shape.

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you buying it from an insuance company or the owner that bought it back fom the insurance company?
It was probably wrote off because the cost of the damage was more than 3/4 the value of the car.
If your going to buy it, low ball them on the price because they probably got it for cheap. In the car world, that car isn't worth a whole lot, but to the right person it's a great car.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same Thing Just Happened To Me, But It Was A Quad, Not A Car!!!! Oh, Well, Keep Looking.......... Good Luck Car Hunting!

I used to love car shopping. Now I am beginning to hate it. It is interesting what people view as "excellent condition". Especially on imports. Rust holes and dents in every panel is considered "good" condition...running as well is considered "mint"...

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a guy a few doors down from me has one for sale that is in great shape. he is a cop with i think a couple kids, my wife works with his, and he just dosen't have the time. i can try and get his number for you, and i'll keep an eye out for you is there any other cars you are considering or what type of money. I work at a car dealership and would rather see a nice car that we would wholesale go to a good young fellow then a used car wholesaler!!

Top Bottom