What Brand Belt Do You Use

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen much on the subject of belts & what brands others use. Or the impression users have for different brand belts.

So, I want to ask everyone, "What Brand Belt Do You Use ?"

I ride a 2003 660 Yamaha Grizzly. My Yamaha snowmobiling buddies, tell me to run only Yamaha factory belts. But here's my issue.

Some time back, I think last summer, I had about 1500 miles on the machine & decided to clean & inspect the clutch. I also installed a Dalton clutch kit at this time.
So I break out the service manual & read the spec's on belt wear & limits.
My belt was within 0.08 of needing replacement by what I read in the service manual. So I & two of my riding buddies, ordered a NEW Yahama Factory belt.
When the three belts arrived, we measured the width of each belt, expecting them to be the width the service manual stated a new belt should be.

DAMN .... not one of the three belts measured what the service manual stated they should ... AND .... all three belts measured a slightly different width.
Needless to say, I for one, was not happy.

On another forum, I read where a Kawi rider raved about his Dayco belt & it got me to think'in .....

1) What brand belt are others using ??
2) Are you pleased with that brand of belt ??
3) Did you measure the width against what the service manual states a new belt width should be ?? How close was the measurement, if not to spec width ?
4) What brands belts have you tried ? What are your impressions of each of those brands ??

I want to thank all who reply to this thread & pass along their impressions of "What is a good Belt" .....

Thanks ...

Later ....

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Goodyear Gatorback. They are a carbon fiber based belt with good reviews. I am very impressed so far as it does not appear to glaze on the edge at all after 1000 km.(even after some serious mud and muskeg runs) There are some good writeups on the web though check them out. Parts Stop in Spruce Grove is the distributor I bought mine from.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Im using a Ultimax Belt on my Renegade. Ive only had it for a month so I cannot comment. I do smell rubber when Im doing some pulling through good bogs, that may be more noticable since I snorkled my quad though. I will comment more in a few weeks. Before the edson rally I will install a BRP belt and see if that slips too.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ultimax ... is that a factory Can-AM belt ??

Yeah, let us know what ya think. Never hurts to know what others think of a brand belt they are using.

Thanks ...
Later ...

No, I shredded my belt in the spring in deep snow. Im not sold on this one yet as I have a fear it will blow, Smell belt when hitting deep holes, and there is no water in the housing. I will get the factory BRP belt and change it and keep the ultimax for a spare. On sleds Ive always used the Ultimax XS.

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have the Gatorback & like it huh ?? I just got off the web forum "Nyroc's ATV info website" & some Kawi guys tried it & didn't have anything good to say. Interesting.

Check out the link to the thread ...
Nyroc's ATV info website

The guys on this forum talk about "Adjusting the Belt" ... I guess on a Kawi you can "Adjust" the belt tension ?? Cause I don't thiinkI can on the Grizzly ... unless I've missed something ... which is possible I guess .... :D

I read that Highlifter makes a belt, or has one .... anybody seen, been around, or used one of these belts ??

Thanks for the reply "ftguy" ...

Later ....

Yes I am quite happy witht he performance of it. Although it is Goodyear I don't sell them and have to buy them just like everyone else so no promo here. The adjustment thing kind of confuses me also as on mine the adjustment was all in the install process, so if installed correctly should have no issues. But as you said not familiar with the Kawi. I had a friend that installed one on a Kawi last week and was going out this weekend so will likely get a report from him.

As I said I noticed a big difference in performance on mine whien side by side riding with my wife, same quad stock belt.

my .02

Top Bottom