what atv should i buy?

marty

Reaction score
hey guys and gals
i've decided that i'm going to buy my first atv. what i want it for is pulling my 14' aluminum boat to those remote spots, pulling my ice fishing gear in the winter and using it for hunting. and when i have time, heading of to the nordegg area for some r&r. could i get some opinions or advice as to what brand and size would be best suited for this.
thanks

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well from the looking at your list I would get a quad around the 500 size. 400 to 500 size should do. I am a CanAm rider but anyother manufacturer will doo. JMHO stay away from the NONAME builders still. By from a reconized manufacturer. Honda are still pretty bulletproff and last forever but are a little behind the times but it works. Look for some sales. Last week at the sportsman show Polaris had a killer deal on 500 and 400 4X4. almost wanted my daughter to buy on. You don`t need a 800 nothing keep it affordable and fun BUT make sure its 4X4 for sure. Have fun

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would highly suggest Independant suspension on whatever you buy and I also agree with sledderglen,500 cc will getrdone!
catmando!

marty

Reaction score
i heard that the yamaha's are really good but aren't that good for the cold weather. is this true/ are some better for the cold months than others?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fuel injection is another MUST HAVE. When I go hunting it is cold and with fuel injection it starts fast and runs perfect. Carbed quads are harder to get going and tend to be a bit finicky but FI is right on all the time

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
700 single cylinder probaly would be realy nice for a first quad, 700 grizz or king quad. have more pullin power anyways, I hear lots of guys really like there 700 grizzleys, the power steering on them suppose to be pretty sweet especily when in full diff lock...

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well from the looking at your list I would get a quad around the 500 size. 400 to 500 size should do. I am a CanAm rider but anyother manufacturer will doo. JMHO stay away from the NONAME builders still. By from a reconized manufacturer. Honda are still pretty bulletproff and last forever but are a little behind the times but it works. Look for some sales. Last week at the sportsman show Polaris had a killer deal on 500 and 400 4X4. almost wanted my daughter to buy on. You don`t need a 800 nothing keep it affordable and fun BUT make sure its 4X4 for sure. Have fun

Glen I disagree,;) I think the 400 would be ok at first but then you would just be kicking yourself later for not getting something a bit bigger. It would be like buying a 340 sled, ya it gets the job done but you are always thinking in the back of your mind "I should have gone a bit bigger" after all you can always make the bigger go slower and work less but without major $$$ it is pretty tough to get the smaller one to work harder and go faster but then again that is only my opinion so take it for what it is worth.
I do agree that the independant susp and fuel injection is the way to go though for sure.
I have been quad shopping and comparing options for the last few months and just picked up a new 08 Brute Force 750I. Can't comment on how it is yet because I am still adding accessories and have not made the first trip out with it yet.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glen I disagree,;) I think the 400 would be ok at first but then you would just be kicking yourself later for not getting something a bit bigger. It would be like buying a 340 sled, ya it gets the job done but you are always thinking in the back of your mind "I should have gone a bit bigger" after all you can always make the bigger go slower and work less but without major $$$ it is pretty tough to get the smaller one to work harder and go faster but then again that is only my opinion so take it for what it is worth.
I do agree that the independant susp and fuel injection is the way to go though for sure.
I have been quad shopping and comparing options for the last few months and just picked up a new 08 Brute Force 750I. Can't comment on how it is yet because I am still adding accessories and have not made the first trip out with it yet.

Nice choice,I'm picking up the same Quad!
catmando!

JOESKIDOO

Reaction score
I would go with a Honda 500 Cdn Trail Ed. as I did, awesome all around machine, The best thing about it, it has NO belts! Great fuel economy, very lite, smaller physical size great for going over logs and around trees. I could go on & on about the good stuff but I don't have the time. All I say is demo ride them all in your application, I did and the Honda won hands down.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:DI have two midsize Polaris Sportsmans 300CC & 455CC (400HO). No brand loyalty to get in the way. Just two trouble free, hard pullin, great riding quads that will go anywhere with my buddies who ride most of the others. No computers or ECM;s to let you down on the trail. Simple. Both have tracks and pull hard to over 6,000 ft.

Buy from a dealer you trust. Test ride as many models as you can. Don't trust others opinions as I've never met anyone who has made a mistake and bought a bad or the wrong quad. Buy the quad that will best suit your intended use and above all, be realistic in what you think it should do.
Then go have fun.:D

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:DI have two midsize Polaris Sportsmans 300CC & 455CC (400HO). No brand loyalty to get in the way. Just two trouble free, hard pullin, great riding quads that will go anywhere with my buddies who ride most of the others. No computers or ECM;s to let you down on the trail. Simple. Both have tracks and pull hard to over 6,000 ft.

Buy from a dealer you trust. Test ride as many models as you can. Don't trust others opinions as I've never met anyone who has made a mistake and bought a bad or the wrong quad. Buy the quad that will best suit your intended use and above all, be realistic in what you think it should do.
Then go have fun.:D

Right there about sums it up...

Everyones riding style and habits differ. My dad thinks my Kawi is to big and has more power than is needed. I think my kids Polaris is to small and under powered, but it is great for him. Figure out what you are comfortable with and go from there.

Top Bottom