What are you running for tire sizes?

Bandit_750

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first quad. 2012 Kawi brute force 750. I am thinking going to be upgrading my tires to hopefully 28" Gorilla's.

My current tire size are:

Front 25x8x12
Rear 25x10x12

I have very few personal friends who are knowledgeable about atv's and utv.

One of my friends recommended that i go with the same size tires all around. So that if i want i can rotate my tires etc etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations to this theory? should i run wider tires on the back like it comes from the dealer?

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion one this ... That's for sure!!! Here's what I think. Run wides in the back and skinnys in the back. The wide tires are good to have. But not on the front. I would also buy highlifter outlaws instead of silverbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also put different clutch springs in the quad. There cheap and easy to change.

Bandit_750

Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion one this ... That's for sure!!! Here's what I think. Run wides in the back and skinnys in the back. The wide tires are good to have. But not on the front. I would also buy highlifter outlaws instead of silverbacks.

wides in back, skinnys in front? or are ya plucking with me lol.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's what meant. Haha ... Watching a movie and typing apparently doesn't work..... By the way I'm running outlaws on my 08 brute 750, 27-12-12 rears and 27-10-12 fronts

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it were me. 28 zillas. Best all around tire.

I have 30's on mine but even with clutch work u still can't gear it down.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run 27" or 28" Zillas, you should be ok with stock clutching...just remember to use low gear in the really bad stuff. You will most certainly have to re-clutch with Outlaws or Silverbacks, as they are a heavy tire.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zillas are great all around tire. But if u want a mud tire, outlaws or silverback are it.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havnt done it yet but looking at 28" zillas (they run short about 1" on height.) Lots of people run them and like them. I will also be doing some clutch work with parts from Quad Shop Customs (QSC). The Laws or Backs are super nice tires in mud but not a good choice if your not married 100% to the mudhole because like most others have pointed out they ride rougher then hell on hard pack.

Stick around on the site and you will learn a ton about quads, snowmobiles, and other members. Welcome, and enjoy your stay.

Also Fawk=Fu*k and Chit=Sh!t just to give you a heads up to keep the mods happy. :thumbsup2:

What ever tire you chose I hope you enjoy and keep us posted!

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run 27" or 28" Zillas, you should be ok with stock clutching...just remember to use low gear in the really bad stuff. You will most certainly have to re-clutch with Outlaws or Silverbacks, as they are a heavy tire.
i just did 26" sti mud and the power dropped huge. stk clutching sucks now. just ordered new clutch springs.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are a good all around tire as well
Outlaw mst in a 28"

Nozzleweed

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first quad. 2012 Kawi brute force 750. I am thinking going to be upgrading my tires to hopefully 28" Gorilla's.

My current tire size are:

Front 25x8x12
Rear 25x10x12

I have very few personal friends who are knowledgeable about atv's and utv.

One of my friends recommended that i go with the same size tires all around. So that if i want i can rotate my tires etc etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations to this theory? should i run wider tires on the back like it comes from the dealer?

Few things to take into consideration. Your bike is EPS right. So you can run wide all around. Just a thought. There are some benefits to being wide. Basically you end up getting better floatation in soft stuff. From what I understand Skeg is something you will see in AB. Skinny wide combo (skinny in front wide in back) usually will help with steering response and wider set in rear to help floatation. So your bike will be easier to steer. Skinny only combo usually run if you run a lot of mudholes. As far as tires go take your time and do your research. Backs and Laws are good quality. If you go anything bigger than 27s you will need clutching. Two schools of thought usually for Brutes. Dalton kit ($400) great because you can change it if you buy bigger tires or change different sets which most will end up doing. Or you machine your clutches permanent mill work to your clutches(VJohnForce mod). Do your homework on this as well as you only want to spend the money once. I run a mud setup with 30s and a trail setup with 27s.

cementfist27

Reaction score
I have learned that Outlaws and Backs are terrific mud slinging tires, but add considerable weight to your machine, in turn putting more stress on your axles, diffs, EPS, and belts. (amongst other things I imagine) They also tend to rob top end speed from your machine (If that's important to you...) Keep in mind that Gorilla or Rhino axles may be a good investment (Turner, Cobra, etc as well...) Clutching in my opinion is a must. Gotta get the power to the ground without burning up the belt!

Nasty tires look great and can perform unreal, but setting up the bike for your riding style and budget maybe two different things. To be honest I run 30" Zillas and did not get stuck too often last year, but it wasn't due to the tire, it was because I have a 2" lift. Ground clearance is one of the biggest factors of success when navigating holes. (To me at least)

Just a thought.

Mad Outy Max

Reaction score
I have gone from 27" zillas to 28" and now to 30" it is all very indicative of your riding style vs the terrain u ride in I notice the 30" zillas give more ground clearance and a bit better in the mud but they do not handle as nice on high speed trail riding (28" zillas were better) but if mud is your thing I don't think u can beat outlaws or silverbacks Just remember weight. A 30" zilla weighs about 24-29 pounds and I think a 30 law or back is 45 plus pounds per corner and generally considered an axle buster not to mention you're looking at $250 per tire A 30" zilla about $150. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 ground clearance. 28" to a 30" tire nets you 1" of ground clearance.

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of riding are you wanting to do? if you are all out mud then something like outlaws. if your riding a mix of trails and mud then zilla's are a great choice. i have owned both and am currently running zilla's as getting thru mud holes is more about driving style than tires most of the time - early in my riding days i rode with guys with 25' tires and solid rear axles get thru holes that i got stuck in with my big machine. To me weight is a very important consideration as heavy tires can really change the balance of your machine and if you ride aggressively you will break parts. I am quite happy with 27's but 28's would be good too. 30's add some ground clearance but really only an incremental amount. As noted in other comments really anything much over 27 or 28's you must do a clutch kit, this will come at the expense of some top end speed (and possibly voided warrenty)

just my 2 cents

Top Bottom