what age you start taking the little ones out west

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when did u guys feel confident taking your little ones out west to start riding in the mountains i ride in vale a fair bit and was thinking of planning a family trip so they can see whats its all about just wondering any ones stories or precautions thanks everyone

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

My son started at 4 I would remind you the trip is more for them then us. make sure the weather is sunny and stay at a hotel with a pool. make sure they have good gear to bring heat packs for there Hands and feet and just be careful they don't get hooked to quickly my son guilts me every time how he should be going to

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 336

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will take my son for the first time too the mountains for the first time next year, he will be 15. Would not have taken either one of my kids up there any earlier, too much can go sideways in a hurry ! My opinion only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayinwww

Reaction score
My son is almost 2 and I can't wait to get him a little quad to ride around on at the cabin.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started at around 4 or 5. Just up to cabin, they hang around. Bring a toboggan and they play around close by as long as it's quiet. Like panzer dog said, keep them warm and happy cause nothing worse than an unhappy kid. Although I'm spoiled and we don't have to go far. Would be a different story I think if I was coming a long way to sled

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's my boy 11 last year on mom's sled, did super awsome and his second ride in the mountains, him driving

This is him at 10 and his first solo ride up... Did awsome also

Biggest thing is experience with throttle ect, which he has a dirt bike and quads for years

Every kid is different also it seems

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 and 11 they had both rode the flat lands since they were 4. The oldest is 18 and the mountains are not his thing the 14 year old is a great mountain rider we take him everywhere.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
My boy is 13 it is his second year now in the mountains he rides better than some in our group get them Avy trained make them aware and get the seat time in with the right terrain choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm taking my boy this thurs/fri for his first solo with me. He came with us for a spring ride 2 or 3 years ago and has played a little bit on the lake but by no means a capable rider. We are going to hang out in the meadows and the flats he can experience his first stucks and we can play with the beacons, show him how to probe & dig some holes. I will not tolerate any straying and he must stay not only within sight but by my side, likely spend most of our time in the area by the old cabin at Clamina.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son's been riding the mountains with me since he was 2. On his own sled since he was 5. Now he's 28 and breaking the snowbike I just bought and haven't ridden yet. :D
My daughter about the same, although it took a little longer before she was big enough to ride solo. We live in the mountains though, so that helped.

slysrepair

Reaction score
Started my son down in the Big Horns when he was 10, very easy to pick the terrain for his ability. Last year when he was 13 it was time for his first BC sledding experience, clemina, allan creek, he had a blast. I would say just match the terrain to the ability of the rider and the sled they are riding, also if it can work out bring a friend with their kid. Great feeling when you can watch your kid develop and improve his abilities year after year.

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first trip up I was 11, Im 20 now and have been going ever since. So far 9 years of good times. Tho I grew up on a farm in and around all sorts of machinery, atvs etc. All depends on the kid. Good guidance and a watchful eye from others is a must. Start em young and before you know it they'll surprise you!

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i have been taking the gf now for 3 years and my little brother since he was 12 so this year will be taking the 12 yo sis up on her m6 she has always wanted to go but had some recent people bail on the trip so thought it be perfect opertunity for a fam trip to vale prob start her off at clemina see how she does and go from there want to get her into allen there are a few climbs but there mostly all on the super highway

Top Bottom