what a gong show

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is we will ended up paying a s**tload of money for a contract that never gets fufilled just like the chopper scenerio of years ago.
Make the contract then bail on it & still have to pay for something you dont even get. More wasted money
Exactly. The Canuck gov't needs to ACT LIKE the customer. Have bids submitted (at the suppliers cost), short-list them, have some demos, then purchase.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
exactly! That is what needs to be done but trust a politician to make it complicated. I bet this whole process is costing us a small fortune while they screw around trying to get it right. Throw a business man into the government and run it like it was a business with a limited budget.

Exactly. The Canuck gov't needs to ACT LIKE the customer. Have bids submitted (at the suppliers cost), short-list them, have some demos, then purchase.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would. Would look SWEET in my garage.

Edit: although, I may be painting the floor blue soon....

Ordered the baby blue poo poo ?????????

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will bring over some old Popo wheel bearings,they make nice coasters and i have lots of them.....

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will bring over some old Popo wheel bearings,they make nice coasters and i have lots of them.....

Rzr 101 will come over also.....

we can twist Dave's rubber arm with booze.....

BeeZee62

Reaction score
I think part of the whole issue is the accounting methods being used to arrive at a cost of the new fighter. Whether we have a new fighter or not, the ground crew/air crew salaries are already there - why should they be incorporated into the cost of a new purchase? What is the cost of maintaining the current fleet of CF18s, coupled with the salary costs? Deduct this amount right from the start and show the difference to arrive at a true new purchase cost! Whether we stick with CF18s (although newer versions) or go with something completely different is beyond my knowledge of actual need, however I believe there would be some savings realized with sticking with a familiar airframe .... and while we're at it why not look at attack helicopters which can provide more intimate close support to the ground troops!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no denying that successive Liberal governments f$%^ed over the military big time.
We don't need an aircraft to shoot down other planes, we need a platform that can support ground troops, deliver ordnance to a ground target and defend itself against ground fire. Fighter planes are flashy and cool but none of our enemies have them. (At least not any that can't be dealt with before they pose a threat to our craft). Drones can do the long range 'bomber' stuff, you need manned aircraft wether fixed wing or helicopter for close air support. Problem with the F-35 is that they haven't even developed some of the equipment that is need to meet the specs demanded by our military so there is no real way to know how much that stuff will end up costing.

BeeZee62

Reaction score
We do need fighters - how else are we to exercise our sovereignty in the north? The long ago promised deep sea port in the north is also going by the wayside. With the increased melt that's happening the the northwest passage and Canada's claim to the land (islands) up north we have no real way of defending any of it - except with arctic fighter patrols. More and more you're going to see countries like China realizing that the NW Passage will save them billions in export costs to europe.

Top Bottom