what 2 stroke oil?

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i no the Blue marble oil is $40 a gallon.
Dose any one have some other kind of oil i could use that is a little bit cheaper then BlueM??

Justin:rolleyes:

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Yeah there is lots of cheaper oils out there....but hey your 40 miles from the truck and then what.....sounds the same as trying to find cheaper rubbers for the prom night ..lol get off your wallet and buy the best stuff you can. its only yourself you hurt in the end.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought some Amsoil Interceptor and it was over$45/gallon, could probably find it cheaper but not without driving 2 hours.

There is probably lots of cheaper oils out there, but there are also cheaper mechanics that would be more than happy to work on your sled after buying the cheaper oil.

Think of it this way

You have spent thousands of dollars on sleds, trailers, truck to pull them,gear, sometimes hundreds of dollars on fuel to get to the "good" snow, hotel rooms, whats 5 dollars a liter for oil in the big picture.

Whenever we go riding away from home we stop at a restaurant for supper, spending 20-40 dollars for supper, and only 5-10 dollars for oil that whole day.

Sounds better when you put it in perspective.

PS if you smoke......you should not complain about wanting to find $1 per litre cheaper oil when smokes are wahat...$11 a pack. Costs more to smoke for a day than run good oil in yoiur sled, and you don't sled everyday.

I had to put this in perspective for myself a while ago to not be cheap on oil, so its not just outrage at others, it was for me.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run whatever you can find at Walmart. I still don't believe in all the over priced oils out there... correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't IndyDan the engine bottom-end master only warranties his work to those who don't use synthetics?

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i no the Blue marble oil is $40 a gallon.
Dose any one have some other kind of oil i could use that is a little bit cheaper then BlueM??

I'm going to switch to the amsoil dominator, been hearing good things about it, its a synthetic to unlike blue marble which is still a mineral oil

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a post that I put together for the "Gummed Up power valves" thread in the Performance section. Not all oils are created equal, there is a reason you pay more for a "better" oil or for a specific brand (Ski Doo XPS for example) because they just might be formulated for what the manufacturer has spec'd for the motor they use, and you might need some of the qualities of the lower grades, as I do, the cheaper price is just a benefit after that. Hope this helps.

"LOL! Yeah, I don't know why they named them the same, probably just cheaper to make stickers with a few more letters!! LOL.

I have to apologize, you aren't really getting the whole story from me. I premix so I can change my oil % with each tank of fuel, if I'm seeing too much residue on the plugs/piston domes, I can just cut it back slightly on the next jerry can to compensate.

Never had any issues with the blue Advance, like I said, the Ultra is a great oil. Fortunately for me, my uncle is a avid sledder and is a Shell distributor. I emailed him once about what oil he runs in his 600 and his 800's, here is what he had to say:

"I run the Ultra Synthetic in both sleds. BRP recommends a blend in the 800. (syn & conventional) The conventional component generates a small amount of sulphated ash which cools the piston dome. I'm too lazy to use two oils and Shell guarantees that Snow Ultra will work just fine."

It was suggested that I run more of a conventional % in my mod sled (due to jetting leaner than recommended) to produce more of the ash component and possibly avoid melting holes in my piston domes (not that I have done that ). This is why I like the Advance (not the Ultra), the Ultra basically doesn't have enough "impurities" in it for my application, I need the ash component. So instead of mixing two oils, I just run the Advance. Its cheaper too and since its blue and I premix, I know when it has been added or not very simply by the colour. The Ultra is not as good for pre-mixing since it is the same colour as the gasoline.

As stated though, the Ultra is a great oil and I have nothing against it. I have not fouled valves on the Advance, but I'm not saying that it can't happen, especially if the oiler is set too rich. Tht's just my experience with it, I hope that helps."

crwdplsr

Reaction score
We run Amsoil dom and intr but another awesome oil is Lucas....saw a set of 800 polaris pistons with over 8000miles and they looked new and the crank was still perfect....just luck maby...the main reason sleds blow up is that people don t treat them right.I have owned hundreds of sleds and dirtbikes and I have take 1 piston out in my life and it was my fault.Just my opinion.:beer:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a group together and buy a barrel of Amsoil DOM, way cheaper than buy the jug. Thats what we do.my 2 cents

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's something else to think about. You can run the best oil in the world, but if your not using premiun gas you will also have gummed up valves. Example: I use Amsoil interceptor and premuin gas in my rev, my neighbor uses Amsoil interceptor and dyed gas in a rmk 800. We took out our valves begining of the season last year, his was badly gummed up and my had hardly any on them. You have to look at all factors to come up with a conclusion on what to use. Just my .02 if it's worth anything.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a side note, I switched to Shell Ultra this year, anyone want a brand new never opened jug of Poo VES gold and a more than half jug for $15?

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's something else to think about. You can run the best oil in the world, but if your not using premiun gas you will also have gummed up valves. Example: I use Amsoil interceptor and premuin gas in my rev, my neighbor uses Amsoil interceptor and dyed gas in a rmk 800. We took out our valves begining of the season last year, his was badly gummed up and my had hardly any on them. You have to look at all factors to come up with a conclusion on what to use. Just my .02 if it's worth anything.

I run 95 octane in my sled

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am with the 700summitguy he is my brother, I was the guy shaking the sled or he would beat me up. Now my sled kicks his butt. I have used both oils and now use amsoil in my RT1000. We dont use 30w any more (now we have money for good oil)

Top Bottom