West Yellowstone Exhaust Rules?

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few friends and I were thinking about going to West Yellowstone. I have heard they do not allow sleds with modified exhaust there, stock exhaust only. Anything on web I can find only says "exhaust must be in good working condition" but does not define what that entails. I do know my brother in law was there about 6 years ago and they wouldn't let him ride his sled with modified exhaust so he had to rent one.

Any one know the real deal?

Thanks.

crowdoo

Reaction score
rule is for inside the park only.not sure what u ride but if taken tour of park u prob have to rent. all other areas are open to any sled

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In West Yellowstone right now. Outside of the park you can be as loud as you want, but like others have said, if you want to go into the park you will more than likely have to rent. Although when our group goes and tours the park, we just rent a bus, so we can all have a relaxing day.

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
In West Yellowstone right now. Outside of the park you can be as loud as you want, but like others have said, if you want to go into the park you will more than likely have to rent. Although when our group goes and tours the park, we just rent a bus, so we can all have a relaxing day.

If you are taking tours into the park please let me know. That's what I do for a living. Drop me a PM if you need info.

summitkid600

Reaction score
2 years ago i got stopped by the ranger and he didnt say anything about my loud exaust he just wanted to make sure we had proper stickers on our sleds

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing with Westyellow Stone is to make sure that you are not being an ass when you are in town. Don’t speed, stunt or any thing else that will attract the park rangers attention. They will issue you a ticket, only good thing is they accept cash on the spot. It’s not a bribe, that just the way they do things there. Also the speed limit on the trails is 70 MPH, and they do patrol them.

Have fun, nice country side. :d:beer:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing with Westyellow Stone is to make sure that you are not being an ass when you are in town. Don’t speed, stunt or any thing else that will attract the park rangers attention. They will issue you a ticket, only good thing is they accept cash on the spot. It’s not a bribe, that just the way they do things there. Also the speed limit on the trails is 70 MPH, and they do patrol them.

Have fun, nice country side. :d:beer:

Speed limit on the trails is actually 45 MPH.

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah do not speed at all they have guys behind trees holding radir guns so be careful on that! I wish it was 70

crowdoo

Reaction score
2 years ago i got stopped by the ranger and he didnt say anything about my loud exaust he just wanted to make sure we had proper stickers on our sleds

wasnt there with you but im pretty sure you wernt in the PARK with loud sled . just sayn

Reaction score
Just got back from WY this morning. Backcountry you can ride with modified exhaust. I ride with a sled that has a Silber Turbo, and it's painfully loud, and we've heard nothing about loud exhaust. We actually talked with 2 MT game wardens and a forest service guy on patrol in the Teepee Creek area on Sat. They checked out stickers and were good to go. One guy had a leaking vacuum line on his sled for the exhaust valves. He was very appreciative, and told us about some fun areas and we went our separate ways.

As far as the park it is a guided tour with a 4 stroker that you must rent from a commercial rental place.

Trail speed limit is 45 mph, don't know where you were able to ride 70 mph. Speed limit is posted right on the trails.

One thing to make sure of is that you do not ride in town without trail passes. A group of guys I ride with were caught riding through town without passes on their way to get them and were fined $135 each. Also you can not ride sled on either highway through town.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few friends and I were thinking about going to West Yellowstone. I have heard they do not allow sleds with modified exhaust there, stock exhaust only. Anything on web I can find only says "exhaust must be in good working condition" but does not define what that entails. I do know my brother in law was there about 6 years ago and they wouldn't let him ride his sled with modified exhaust so he had to rent one.

Any one know the real deal?

Thanks.

Your all good man! let her rip. awesome snow. awesome people. awesome food and lodging what more could you want! love it down there

summitkid600

Reaction score
wasnt there with you but im pretty sure you wernt in the PARK with loud sled . just sayn

if you read what i wrote i didnt say i was in the park. your not aloud in the park on your own snowmobile. i was just saying that they didnt care about the exhaust in the areas your actually allowed to snowmobile.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

actually the same group of guys got caught in the park (they were lost and in there on accident) and everyone had a modded out sled and the park wardens didn't care about any of that they were way more concerned about how many baby trees everyone had run over. all the adults ended up with $550 fines.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woops,,,,,,,,, got MPh & Km/Hr mixed up. your right, 45MPh or 70Km/Hr. :d

dont speed untill your off the trails......

Ah gotchya. I had my sled switched over to MPH just for Jellystone! :d

Top Bottom