West Yellowstone Dec 27 to Jan accommodation for sled trip

rstewart

Reaction score
we are looking at hitting up west Yellowstone over new years,Dec 27 to Jan 2 - where is there to stay that has a private hot tub in town or very close? there will be 4 couples, few stragglers maybe too
no prob renting house or condo...
, any input would be appreciated

also some good places to ride - powder trees, off beaten trail

thanks

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the snow usually at this time? We are contemplating going during that time also

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are looking at hitting up west Yellowstone over new years,Dec 27 to Jan 2 - where is there to stay that has a private hot tub in town or very close? there will be 4 couples, few stragglers maybe too
no prob renting house or condo...
, any input would be appreciated

also some good places to ride - powder trees, off beaten trail

thanks
Be very careful getting off the beaten path on the loops. The park is not well marked in a lot of area's (for income generation) and the Rangers are very active enforcing wayward snowmobilers. $550 if they like you and you don't lip them off and you don't want to know what the penalty is for being out of bounds and having an attitude.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be very careful getting off the beaten path on the loops. The park is not well marked in a lot of area's (for income generation) and the Rangers are very active enforcing wayward snowmobilers. $550 if they like you and you don't lip them off and you don't want to know what the penalty is for being out of bounds and having an attitude.
I've heard the ridiculous number of a buck a foot. Any truth in that?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard the ridiculous number of a buck a foot. Any truth in that?
Possible? We were almost a mile in and they were gonna fine us $5000 and take the sleds. You should have seen the sign we drove by that he pointed out to us. 10 feet up a tree and 6 inches long by 2 inches high. Black letters on white background. The ranger admitted that they need to work on there signage some as we were down there in mid Feb and they already had charged 273 sledders by then. No KIDDING!!.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our hotel manager told us a guy fell asleep driving through the park the previous summer and hit the ditch with his car. Park charged him $3500 for flora and fauna damage. Lmao!!

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possible? We were almost a mile in and they were gonna fine us $5000 and take the sleds. You should have seen the sign we drove by that he pointed out to us. 10 feet up a tree and 6 inches long by 2 inches high. Black letters on white background. The ranger admitted that they need to work on there signage some as we were down there in mid Feb and they already had charged 273 sledders by then. No KIDDING!!.
5000 for about a mile. Pretty close. But it's a little hard to know where not to go if it's not posted.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our hotel manager told us a guy fell asleep driving through the park the previous summer and hit the ditch with his car. Park charged him $3500 for flora and fauna damage. Lmao!!
Ouch!!! That hurts in more ways than one.....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5000 for about a mile. Pretty close. But it's a little hard to know where not to go if it's not posted.
The rangers could tell we had no idea we were in the park so they just charged us the $550. Had to plead guilty to a district Attorney an pay when we got home. No record even though its a Federal charge. I was not impressed with the buddy who was guiding us who rides there all the time. Not the way I roll in the mountains. By the book for me. Lol.

toyz

Reaction score
I have been down there at that time. I got stopped by the ranger and made sure i my Montana trail pass. $50 for the year, pretty cheap. Stay away from the park and there is lots of areas to explore with no problems. I found most people there are for the trails so there is lots of powder to be found off trails.

camarogreg

Reaction score
I've looked around the net a bit and came up with the Montana Snowmobile Association website: Montana Snowmobile Association - Riding Areas. There are several noted and seem to be in all areas of the state. I am sure contacting the local club with a call or an email would yield some good advice. Keep in mind the local folks keep the trails open and promote the sport locally. Good luck.

Poo16

Reaction score
Anybody know how the snow is in cooke city? Maybe pictures or videos of this season haha that would be great and well appreciated!

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will be down there at the same time. We go down every year for the last 4 years at this time and only once can we say that it was a bad year for snow. The way the snow looks this year down in West it is looking like a good start to there year.
Maybe we will bump into you.
cheers

Top Bottom