West Bench Trail

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering where the trail starts from Gorman staging area and where you come out at Quartz? I have been taking the family to Golden for a few years its nice to see another family trail!! Good way to get the groomer back and forth between the two areas. Also was wondering how much a family trail pass for 4 sleds is and how much to join the club? Thanks for any info!!

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trail will start as far as sledding goes at the Gorman Lake parking lot. It will take it's own direction where the "Holt / Lang / Gorman" intersection is only a few kms up the trail. From here it is 38km to Quartz Creek Kiosk in the parking lot. So it will be possible for you to start in the Quartz Creek parking lot as well. The beauty for all of you Oldman boys is that you can park in the Quartz parking lot and cruise the trail to get to oldman only a few km away, instead of crossing the highway like in past years. HMC will love us for that!! This trail will open up some fun boondocking areas along the trail on some of those high avalanche days. Should prove to be a great asset for the Golden snowmobile area!!
We currently do not have family passes. Only adult 150 and youth 50 (under 16).
We are pumped for some added safe family rides here in golden too! Very exciting!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the west bench trail is going to be groomed i guessing? As well are the going to run the groomer up oldman as far as you can?:d

anyone have a map for the trail?? or a rought sketch on google earth photo?

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is just my guess.
The image below was "borrowed" from the Snowpeak Rentals site.
west bench.jpg
west-bench-ge.jpg

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the trail you've highlighted as Quartz is Old Man. That west bench trail must continue west farther from there is my guess???

Oops. You're right. That will be quite the trail.

BCPOW

Reaction score
Any updates? Ie: is this trail open? Will it be groomed?? Thanks

The trail is blazed and connects right at the Quartz cabin. I'm really looking forward to the day I can choose which direction to ride when staging from quartz parking lot.

This is unoffical, but latest I heard on the g-street was the trail needs more snow for the snowcat to build some snowfills as not all the bridges were installed. Its been warm in the valley and rain has been falling. The trail is lower elevation so its been getting rain soaked and turning to slush. Need some colder temps down low and a few good storms to help the situation.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply..so the trail starts at the cabin at Quartz or the parking lot?? :confused:

"From here it is 38km to Quartz Creek Kiosk in the parking lot." It goes from the 7 km turn at Gorman to the Quartz parking lot. From the parking lot at Quartz you can ride to the cabin if you want on the current trail.

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there is enough snow to ride the trail and if they have groomed it yet going to bring the family out this Friday Saturday. Was hoping to give it a try one of the days! Any info would be appreciated thanks.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok ya'll here is an official update for the Westbench trail. "Official" because I'm the president of the Golden Snowmobile Trail Society. The trail has been pushed through from Wiseman Corner to Quartz Creek Parking lot however snow levels are low and without more summer grooming to lower the rough ground cover will not be commercially usable this season like we originally expected. We apologize for any inconvenience to you, but we are very excited for for future usage. So currently it is groomed from the Gorman Snowmobile Trail through to Wiseman Corner (just past Wiseman lakes). This trail is around 20km long and has been groomed a few times this season as of this week. It is a beautiful trail to cruise on and I encourage you to try it. There will be new signage going up this week at the trail entrance off the Gorman Trail (ie. start of "Westbench Trail") with Bridge crossing sings, and other trail notification signage. Thanks for the interest I hope this answers some of your questions. If you would like to ride the Westbench park in the Gorman Parking lot and start up the Gorman Trail. The Quartz Creek end of the trail will have to wait until next season.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if it would be faster or not. It's around 35km from Gorman parking lot to Quartz parking lot. So round trip that is an extra 70km or so. That's some fuel. The intention of the trial is to offer an alternate product for very pour stability days or for families and night rides. We'd like to have a warming hut on this trail in the future so it really isn't meant for a true alternative to driving. It is more a connector trail with options. And on a blue day this trail is absolutely stunning! The views of the Dogtooth Range are amazing!

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the Wiseman side of the Westbench trail this afternoon with a buddy to put up some signs... what a treat! Beautiful groomed trail with a timber framed sign at the start of it to show you where it starts now a few KM up the Gorman Lake Access Trail. Hang a right and smoooooth sailing. We put up a few STOP TRAIL ENDS signs near the exit to HWY 1 so make sure to SLOW down when you see them. IF you see them you have JUST passed the continuation of the trail that continues on to Quartz Creek Parking lot. This trail is currently CLOSED as there seems to be trees falling on it regularly. We rode a few kms of it putting up some bridge signs and bridge markers. I can't wait until it is fully complete... what an awesome asset for our area!!

IMG_2685.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom