Went for a ride yesterday ...

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place to post this .... so let me know if it should be on a different forum.

Went for a ride yesterday & what a blast. Just me, the sun, the snow, some turkey’s, a couple coyotes, & a skunk !! :eek: :sadbanana:

Almost thought it was going to be a long day, but ya gotta love those Grizzlies !!! ... :trustme:

I started out across this meadow ... when the bottom fell out from underneath me ..... :hand:

Later …
:wtg:

Attachments

• Almost Stuck.JPG
    Almost Stuck.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Icy Hole.JPG
    Icy Hole.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Over the Rocks 2.JPG
    Over the Rocks 2.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Over the Big Rock.JPG
    Over the Big Rock.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Runoff.JPG
    Runoff.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 189

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That a really nice set -up you have , how is it to turn with those track?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Are You Ridin' With Anyone Else?? See You Packin' Lots Of Gas.... What If The Quad Broke Down, Or Worse Yet Sank?? Hey Gunny, Are You Anywhere Near Salt Lake City Or Wendover?? My Wife And I And My Bro In Law And His Wife Are Driving To Wendover For A Week On The May Long Weekend... Driving Down In Our Mustang Convertible And The B'in Law Is Takin His Corvette. Maybe I Could Rent A Quad For A Day And Go For A Rip With Ya??;)

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your in the right place for that post great pictures, That is one mean Machine you have there Gunny!!!... Did you see a Grizz? and is there a picture of it?:D

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are nice pic's. Thanks for posting. That is a real nice machine you have there. It must have incredible traction to pull out of that soup hole after falling through.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah .... what am I do'in home today ?? I should be out beat'in some of that wet snow to death I tell ya .... dang weeds anyway !!!!

Machine - to anwser your question, it can be a "bear" to turn at times (no pun intended there). I drive everywhere I can in two wheel drive cause it turns then like tires. Put it in four wheel & it can be a real workout at times.
I take it easy in those rocks & it turns fine. In deep snow, if a guy goes slow, it turns, "OK" ... but usually .... I'm hav'in so much fun with the trracks .... I forget about any inconvience ...... Savvy ???

Summitric - You're gonna kick my butt, but yes, I'm alone .... except for those turkeys ... & seeing as how they are birds, I doubt they would be much help. I pack a lot of gas cause it does use more with the tracks. I didn't use any that day. And again, that depends on how much of the time I'm in four wheel drive, try'in to get out of a hole (which hasn't happened much), & the distance I ride. I've put as many as 50 miles (by the GPS) in one day & that day, I only put on 25 miles. So I didn't use any of the gas I was pack'in.
If the bike broke down, I'm carry'in a small set of snowshoes, so I could walk out if I had to. I also carry a cell phone, & if I can get on a ridge, I can usually call home. But so far, the Grizz & the tracks have been good to me.
I live North of Salt Lake about 35 miles close to Ogden. H*LL YEAH, if you come down this way. I already have that week off work, so PM me before ya come this way & I'll pass along some phone #'s. Maybe we can hook up ... H*ll, if for nothing else but to get some "Fee" .... Coffee that is !

NosRX1 - Why yes, yes I did see a Grizz .... and it was a mean SOB too .... so I didn't get any flicks of it go'in thru the trees ........ I'll try harder next time ..... Yeah, you a funny SOB huh !

Snowdin - It does have awesome traction with the tracks. I was rid'in a few months ago when I came across a sled that was over an embankemnt. About 25 to 30 feet down, It was steep enough a guy had a tough time climbin up. Anyway, he had hit a T-post & ripped his track in half. I hooked on my winch rope, & instead of using the winch, I told him I wanted to see if I could pull it up. He stated he didn't think I could, but go ahead & try. I put in four low with the diff lock, & pulled the sled all the way to the top of the embankemnt onto the flat. Never spun even one of the tracks. Needless to say he & I were pretty damn impressed.
I've also done a couple things (machined sheave & some electrical mods) to give it more bottom end & the bike has some pretty good low end snap now. I have a pipe on the way, can't wait to see if it helps at all.

Glad everyone has enjoyed the flicks. I can't wait to go rid'in again ... maybe next weekend ... cause the melt is on & I want to see how muddy I'm gonna get with these tracks .... WOO HOO !!! ...

Later ....
:common001:

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mongul ... You hurt my inner child ... I shall never be the same ... my psychic will be damaged for months .......... Oh crap ... that big word gave me a headache ... :faint:

All I can say Mongul is, I've been called worse .... & Neener, Neener, Neener !!! :alol2: :bandance: :alol2: :rolling:

Later ....
:Cool9:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are You Ridin' With Anyone Else?? See You Packin' Lots Of Gas.... What If The Quad Broke Down, Or Worse Yet Sank??

Summitric, you noticed what all the guys with tracks usually face, and that is its hard to find someone to ride with. Sled & Tracked Quads generally don't mix well in that they both do different things really well. Sleds are usually faster and rely on speed, like a boat, to stay up on top of the snow, whereas the tracked quads travel slower and don't sink much in the powder.

In addition to that there are a lot fewer tracked quads so that necessitates some solitary trips. Really not a great idea, but it beats sitting at home and pouting. That being said, when "Trackers" go solo there is a heightened awareness of potential pitfalls and problems that could occur.

I'd luv to have company to "Track" with, but I don't. I carry emergency supplys and with a little luck should be able to survive a couple of days till help would arrive.

A "Spot" gps is the next thing on the list.:D

Last edited:

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point Mongul. None of my rid'in buddies have spent the cash yet to ride with me ... the chumps ! ... :yikes:

In addition to what I mentioned about the things I carry, I too carry "Extras" to spend a couple of cold nites in the hills if I had to. Clothes, lots of socks, an emergency shelter, & fire starting items are some. :D

One of the "SPOT" GPS items wouldn't be a bad idea. I've been look'in at those but haven't spent the money yet .... Jeez, now who's cheap ?? ... :headscratch3:

Later ....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point Mongul. None of my rid'in buddies have spent the cash yet to ride with me ... the chumps ! ... :yikes:

In addition to what I mentioned about the things I carry, I too carry "Extras" to spend a couple of cold nites in the hills if I had to. Clothes, lots of socks, an emergency shelter, & fire starting items are some. :D

Lots of socks....:D:D The other way(besides your name) to tell you're an ex-soldier:D:D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You Guys Ever Thought Of Satellite Phones?? I Know They Can Be A Little Frustrating With Reception Some Times, But In You Cases, Think Maybe It Would Be Worth It.... You Know... Bad Jump, Or Fall And Break A Leg And Can't "walk" Out??? Just Lookin' Out For You Alone Ridin' Track Guys;)............................. Gunny: I Will Pm You Before We Head Down.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah ..... I prefer to be called ...... a Former Soldier ... and Former Marine ..... Ummmm ...... so the socks gave me away huh ?? ...... Are you former military ?? Cause you're kinda observant for a civvie ?? .... :D :D :D

Carry on ... I'll be in the area all day !

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summitric,
Just saw your reply ... I was wait'in for someone to mention that. :tazz: I really haven't checked into satellite phones.
These "SPOT" GPS things, have you seen those ?? You can get a inexpensive one for about $150 U.S. but the good ones cost about $600+ U.S.

I know I should get something, but I've been do'in so much, for so long, alone, without any "Life Saving" devices (which is a very poor excuse, I know. But like Forrest Gump says, "No one says I'm a smart man!") :spot: ... that those items just haven't hit my piroirty list ... And I have to listen to the little lady every time I head out. :eek: :rollingpin:

Good deal (about sending a PM before you come down) .... Look'in forward to meeting some of the folks from the "Great White North" ....

Later .....

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of the area that I ride in is so steep, I could come home on a "crazy carpet toy". A Sat. phone wud be great but duplicates the function of "Spot" at quadruple the price. Best solution would be push my buddies to get tracks.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm do'in too Mongul ... two of my buddies claim, this coming winter ... we'll see.

Top Bottom