Wells area riding

tcase82

Reaction score
Has any one else encountered the group of dogs in the prosper pine trail area, at the open pit area that is marked caribou protected. I was sledding there this weekend and stopped at the corner that is like a switch back at the open pit and heard barking. I walked over to the open pit and seen a group of probably 15-20 dogs sitting by what looked to be an old travel trailer but there was no smoke or anything coming out showing that there was any residence there besides the dogs.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone was talking about these dogs in another post. It was awhile ago. I will look for it and try and post the link. I have never seen the dogs but have heard mention of them from other sledders as well.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw the dogs too- only about 7 of them. One had been bedded down beside the trail for a few hours at least. Most slinked off into the bushes when I stopped. I tried to get close, but the remaining ones took off. If you looked into the bushes beside the trail you could see where they had a pretty extensive trail system going quite a ways worn into the underbrush. They looked well fed and healthy, but I was concerned at the time that they were abandoned. I am also curious about the story here...

Reaction score
I saw the dogs too- only about 7 of them. One had been bedded down beside the trail for a few hours at least. Most slinked off into the bushes when I stopped. I tried to get close, but the remaining ones took off. If you looked into the bushes beside the trail you could see where they had a pretty extensive trail system going quite a ways worn into the underbrush. They looked well fed and healthy, but I was concerned at the time that they were abandoned. I am also curious about the story here...

So the dogs belong to an old guy that lives in that trailor you saw. They are well taken care of and fed. Thanks for your concern. The dogs are not abbandoned.

Wells Snowmobile Club

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the dogs belong to an old guy that lives in that trailor you saw. They are well taken care of and fed. Thanks for your concern. The dogs are not abbandoned.

Wells Snowmobile Club

I thought they looked pretty well taken care of. That's great to know: thank you ;)

tcase82

Reaction score

Wells Snowmobile Club
Kind of unfair to make that area where the trailer is caribou protected where there is a lot of good areas to climb and jump in that pit. But, an elder is allowed to live right in the middle of a caribou protected area....

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the million other unprotected acres don't make up for this little piece of paradise?

Kind of unfair to make that area where the trailer is caribou protected where there is a lot of good areas to climb and jump in that pit. But, an elder is allowed to live right in the middle of a caribou protected area....

tcase82

Reaction score
I guess the million other unprotected acres don't make up for this little piece of paradise?
No I'm saying how is it possible that someone is allowed to live in the protected area with dogs and have it all packed down where "predators" can easily get any caribou that resides in that area because. He has packed trails going in and out of there. Also the odd thing of it not being protected last season but is now protected.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This morning...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383370476.970102.jpg

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks sledmama! how often do they update that?

The site says it is refreshed every minute, but when I checked it was four hours behind so.... I dunno!!! Updates from friends who Sledded there this weekend estimate 3-4 feet of fluffy stuff with no base and lots of open water holes to fall into :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah was up there myself. there was 3ft. for sure. Our group faired ok but others not so much lots of carnage do to no base yet, but got the itch out:d.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends were up today. About 1.5-2ft of base with 18-20 inches of fresh pow on top. Shaded areas with no sun had zero base and bottomless... Snowing when they left tonight :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384667282.450717.jpg

Top Bottom