Weighed the Viper 162

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a turbo viper this weekend. I will never buy one unless I have big money to sink into it to help lighten it up. Plan to ride with big groups to help you get unstuck in a reasonable timeline, or be prepared to spend a lot of your day digging. A single guy ski pull does **** all in most situations. We found having the sled to sled rattler helped a lot once our backs gave out. I learned that getting a 4 stroke unstuck is a skill much different then getting a 2 stoke unstuck. Different attack method and execution.

In all fairness its not my kinda of sled anyways. if I cant roll out/ dig out an average stuck in less then 10mins by myself, im wasting to much time. I get stuck a lot pushing myself riding more challenging terrain every time I go so spending the day stuck doesn't work or me.

IMO This sled should not be sold with any shorter of a track then 162 for mountains and needs better floatation skis. Great power and will be loved by those who have experience dealing with the weight.

From reading your post a 4stroke is honestly out of your league and that's ok. They are really not for every one, but it also sound's like your one of them guy's that won't take the time to learn new trick's. Your comment of, "if I cant roll out/ dig out an average stuck in less then 10mins by myself, im wasting to much time. I get stuck a lot pushing myself riding more challenging terrain every time I go so spending the day stuck doesn't work or me."
In general i completely understand your point, but at the same time it is a very common saying with young inexperience rider's.
I'm 50 yrs of age and in the back country there has not yet been a place i have not gone with a 4stroke that i went with my 2stroke, the biggest difference is turn key reliability.
Do i get stuck more often, no cause years of experience and plain smart's will out do any mod you could ever do to a sled. Does this mean i don't push my self hahaha, i never thought of sledding is about pushing your self or your sled's ability, as snowmobile are all useless without the rider. Its all about riding smart.
Riding smart is learnt through experience.....thus why some guy's can do magic with any sled, while other's need to push them selves ..no need to go there LOL.

I do agree though that the Viper need's some coin sunk into it before its a good mountain sled but a lot less then the Nytro needed. So it's a step in the right direction. But i also believe that at the current time of all the sled's available on the market for mountain, the Viper is the BEST platform for a turbo moded sled's going.
If your the typ who don't want to mod, a 2stroke is the best rout to take.

Last edited:

John Cambell

Reaction score
Exactly. I rode a nytro. Just gotta learn when your gonna get stuck and try to avoid it. I ride with 2 strokes. They get stuck just as much. Getting stuck is all part of the game.

nytros are not as good stopping on an uphill and trying to take off. So guess what. ? Don't stop completely on an uphill. Haha.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a turbo viper this weekend. I will never buy one unless I have big money to sink into it to help lighten it up. Plan to ride with big groups to help you get unstuck in a reasonable timeline, or be prepared to spend a lot of your day digging. A single guy ski pull does **** all in most situations. We found having the sled to sled rattler helped a lot once our backs gave out. I learned that getting a 4 stroke unstuck is a skill much different then getting a 2 stoke unstuck. Different attack method and execution.

In all fairness its not my kinda of sled anyways. if I cant roll out/ dig out an average stuck in less then 10mins by myself, im wasting to much time. I get stuck a lot pushing myself riding more challenging terrain every time I go so spending the day stuck doesn't work or me.

IMO This sled should not be sold with any shorter of a track then 162 for mountains and needs better floatation skis. Great power and will be loved by those who have experience dealing with the weight.

i have no prob with people not liking these sleds as they are not for everyone,but i get real tired of the gross over exaggeration some people seem to think they need to give yammi sleds.
iam 46 years old 195lbs & i have no issues what so ever getting my sled unstuck by myself,they roll over just like a 2 stroke & my shovel works the same whether i ride a 2 or 4 stroke.

loudelectronics

Reaction score
Lol. I just weighed my 2013 nytro 162 and it was 587 ready to ride. Hmm. The theory that the viper is lighter is not so correct. 617 viper 587 nytro mtx.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. I just weighed my 2013 nytro 162 and it was 587 ready to ride. Hmm. The theory that the viper is lighter is not so correct. 617 viper 587 nytro mtx.

the viper holds more gas, so the Nytro would weight more with the same volume of fuel....I always pack spare fuel on my Nytro , probably wouldn't have to with the viper

Last edited:

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
587 is light. We weighed a 2012 154 xp electric start with aerochager turbo and it was 583 pounds. Full of fuel and oil

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really need to weigh my Apex, would be interesting to compare all the newer 4strokers with mine, there is nothing left to lighten up on mine except the rider but 14 ponds of boost takes care of that part lol

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is that a bone stock nytro?? My viper was 601 lbs full wet ready to ride bone stock .. Viper holds about 20 lbs more fuel than nytro as well

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2015 Viper MTX came with a sheet with all the sled data - fuel capacity = 33.8 liters I think my old 2014 could hold 40 liters, I think thats about the same as my Nytro was.

Last edited:

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not saying its hard on fuel, I must have a faulty build sheet....

Attachments

• Viper specs.jpg
    Viper specs.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

loudelectronics

Reaction score
Yes that is true the viper holds an extra gallon.5 of fuel over nytro. My nytro does not have a turbo and my viper does. The nytro has an earthX36D battery, skinz boards, skinz front end, elka stage 5 shocks, hindle exhaust. Weighed on same scales I weighed the viper which are accurate to +/- 1 lb each scale so it could be a total of +/-4 lbs total.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our nitro is 629 lbs with a 162 by 2.5" track, we have light with battery and the 300hp mcx, front end weight was the most nipoticable

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From reading your post a 4stroke is honestly out of your league and that's ok. They are really not for every one, but it also sound's like your one of them guy's that won't take the time to learn new trick's. Your comment of, "if I cant roll out/ dig out an average stuck in less then 10mins by myself, im wasting to much time. I get stuck a lot pushing myself riding more challenging terrain every time I go so spending the day stuck doesn't work or me."
In general i completely understand your point, but at the same time it is a very common saying with young inexperience rider's.
I'm 50 yrs of age and in the back country there has not yet been a place i have not gone with a 4stroke that i went with my 2stroke, the biggest difference is turn key reliability.
Do i get stuck more often, no cause years of experience and plain smart's will out do any mod you could ever do to a sled. Does this mean i don't push my self hahaha, i never thought of sledding is about pushing your self or your sled's ability, as snowmobile are all useless without the rider. Its all about riding smart.
Riding smart is learnt through experience.....thus why some guy's can do magic with any sled, while other's need to push them selves ..no need to go there LOL.

I do agree though that the Viper need's some coin sunk into it before its a good mountain sled but a lot less then the Nytro needed. So it's a step in the right direction. But i also believe that at the current time of all the sled's available on the market for mountain, the Viper is the BEST platform for a turbo moded sled's going.
If your the typ who don't want to mod, a 2stroke is the best rout to take.

My personality is to push myself so i know my limitations and then figure out how to push past. Im still fairly young (30) and not on the downhill yet so until that day im going keep pushing to see where this body of mine will take me. As for pushing the sled, why the hell you spend a bunch of money adding power, track, ect if you have not found your limitations with the stock setup. I guess limitations are obvious when you climb, as skill cant make up for lack of power, but in the trees skill can put you in places without having to upgrade your sled. A turbo is in my future, but not until i find myself tapped out.

Reliability means very little to me unless you plan to keep your sled for 10 years and put on 20000km. I upgrade every 3 years at around 4000km. I would not say im the most experienced rider, but im far from inexperienced, and besides chutes which i have very little interest in, mostly due to the costs and downtime of running them, i can handle myself pretty much anywhere else. I take pride in finding the fresh areas in the most difficult terrain that no one goes when the area is "tracked out".

When you say ride smart. Sounds like "take the easy lines", "dont go there or you might get stuck!" I want to get stuck so i can learn from my mistakes no matter how good i get. You will learn more from your failures then your successes. No one is to good to fail.

A four stroke is not out of my league, the 4 stroke is not in mine. It doesn't suit my riding style and no matter how good you are on a 4 stroke, you still are fighting unnecessary extra weight for tree riding. 4 strokes cant be beat for climbing ability, ill give them that, i love the power you can get out of them, but power like that is only needed for climbing chutes. 185 to 200 hp is all you need elsewhere and you can get that kind of power these days fairly relaibily out of a turbo 2 stroke and still retain the fun factor of a light sled.

I understand your attitude, your 50 you need to ride smart. And i agree if you need a 250+hp modded sled, the Viper is the best choice.

cheers

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been getting bored waiting for more snow did a headlight delete on viper an skins seat. Hood mod was good for 10 lbs weight loss an seat 5 lbs.. Easy weight loss

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 433

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man that looks nice! Nice work! How narrow is your front end?

Last edited:

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.. Still the stock 38" gonna see how the new 16 viper front end handles or maybe go with alternative impacts front end.. Should be the last piece of the puzzle lol

Man that looks nice! Nice work! How narrow is your friend end?

Top Bottom