Weak chain taking out chain cases

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just our sleds. In our group there is 4 2013 Proclimbs and 2 have had broken chain links on on the outside and mine has busted 2 chains now. The last one took the chain case out. Anybody else findin the chains to be a week spot? Cat isn't going to cover this chain and case because the Cain was already replaced. This seems wrong to me and if I need to pay for new parts I'm thinking I will just go to the c3 belt drive.

Any thoughts on what could make this happen or is there a different Cain a person can use?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just our sleds. In our group there is 4 2013 Proclimbs and 2 have had broken chain links on on the outside and mine has busted 2 chains now. The last one took the chain case out. Anybody else findin the chains to be a week spot? Cat isn't going to cover this chain and case because the Cain was already replaced. This seems wrong to me and if I need to pay for new parts I'm thinking I will just go to the c3 belt drive.

Any thoughts on what could make this happen or is there a different Cain a person can use?

is there room for a 15 wide

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should be warranty. did your dealer say no warranty or cat care? I would phone them direct if you haven't already.

thekrust

Reaction score
I've got a 15 wide on mine, no problems. I didn't break the original chain but at 1200 mi when I re-geared I wanted a new one and why not go stronger. If the chain tensioner is not properly installed the movement of the top gear can cause excessive stress on the chain. It goes in on the lowest setting and will ratchet up to the proper tension on its own. It always seems a little loose to me but it hasn't been a problem. I snapped a jackshaft and the chain was still good.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took out the chain in my 2014 today. Busted a link on the inside of the chain which took out the adjuster. When it happened it sounded like the track was too loose and skipping. Could still drive as long as not hard on throttle. Then got progressively worse. Luckily the chain didn't bust completely. Now let's see what warranty has to say

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small top gears are hard on chains.
I would switch to what has been mentioned as Yamaha did the same.
Borg Warner.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is weak chains. Biggest problem is a flexing jack shaft. Stronger chain will help but floppy motor mounts and flexing jackshaft makes everything move. Chains aren't designed to twist.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Borg Warner chain from cat #2602-760. But where can a guy get the OSP manual tensioner? Is this something only you can get direct?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took out the chain in my 2014 today. Busted a link on the inside of the chain which took out the adjuster. When it happened it sounded like the track was too loose and skipping. Could still drive as long as not hard on throttle. Then got progressively worse. Luckily the chain didn't bust completely. Now let's see what warranty has to say

my 13 162 is making the ratcheting noise to under heavy load. I checked my track tension, seems ok. same thing, its getting a bit worse over time. the snow today was stupid heavy tho ... maybe I should look at the chain to. I've never worked on that case tho, any special instructions vs. doing it on a rev?

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a fairly simple job. Remove can and footwell insert. You don't have to remove oil line, just put reservoir where can was. You see right away if anything is wrong. My tensioner shoe was destroyed, bits and pieces everywhere. I found out the 2013 and 2014 tensioner are different part numbers, they must have changed something on it. Oh, don't remove bolts around oil reservoir , just around chaincase.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a fairly simple job. Remove can and footwell insert. You don't have to remove oil line, just put reservoir where can was. You see right away if anything is wrong. My tensioner shoe was destroyed, bits and pieces everywhere. I found out the 2013 and 2014 tensioner are different part numbers, they must have changed something on it. Oh, don't remove bolts around oil reservoir , just around chaincase.

i did that and was not a fun time!! I also had the oil tank right full when it popped off.

JustBoostIt

Reaction score
Website
www.whiteknucklemotorsports.ca
Borg Warner chain from cat #2602-760. But where can a guy get the OSP manual tensioner? Is this something only you can get direct?

I stock all driveline parts that OSP makes, stocked the manual tensioners last year because Cat couldn't supply theirs. This year we've sold about 50 Cat tensioners. They are about half the price of the OSP one. Pm me if you are looking for one.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2012 I had the ratcheting. Turned out to be a chain issue. Tensioner had gone almost all the way to the end. Now in deep snow I will get a footwell vibration at certain RPM ranges. Pretty sure somethings moving causing the issue. Even with brand new gears and chain still have the vibration. It seems more and more people on other forums are starting to mention this vibration as they get mile on their sled.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How is that possible? They replaced the chain on warranty with the same one and now won't warranty the same chain again? They should keep replacing it with junk or fix it right, that's BS, I would be calling Cat directly. Dodge has warranty replaced the rear end in my truck, they kept putting in the same parts that were breaking before, I'm now on rear end #3 but everything is done under warranty as it should be.

Yammy saw this chain and...surprise surprise....spec'd a different one and billet gears for the Sr Viper. Now...imagine that....

I would get the Yammy chain and gears or go 15 wide. The SR Vipers are holding up with the 13 wide.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is that possible? They replaced the chain on warranty with the same one and now won't warranty the same chain again? They should keep replacing it with junk or fix it right, that's BS, I would be calling Cat directly. Dodge has warranty replaced the rear end in my truck, they kept putting in the same parts that were breaking before, I'm now on rear end #3 but everything is done under warranty as it should be.

Yammy saw this chain and...surprise surprise....spec'd a different one and billet gears for the Sr Viper. Now...imagine that....

I would get the Yammy chain and gears or go 15 wide. The SR Vipers are holding up with the 13 wide.

I'll back up Yami chain and gears, I've got 8000+kms on my original stock chain with 4000km at 5-8psi boost (supercharged Apex). Chain still has zero stretch and looks new, as do the gears. I'm not sure who's making them for Yami but they are durable.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my sled back, thanks again Troy and Connor. Apparently when I changed from the 50t gear to the 49t gear the tensioner could not take the angle. So not sure what let go first, chain or the adjuster shoe. Sleds all fixed up so hoping this is the last of the issues

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my sled back, thanks again Troy and Connor. Apparently when I changed from the 50t gear to the 49t gear the tensioner could not take the angle. So not sure what let go first, chain or the adjuster shoe. Sleds all fixed up so hoping this is the last of the issues

what do you have for a top gear? I 'm running a 20 top and 49 bottom. took my cover off and all seemed ok, the chain was fairly slack, but the tensioner seems to operate like it should.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you have for a top gear? I 'm running a 20 top and 49 bottom. took my cover off and all seemed ok, the chain was fairly slack, but the tensioner seems to operate like it should.

Which primary and secondary spring you running, and what weights ?

Top Bottom