Warn Winch not working...

coldschilling

Reaction score
hey like the title says.. my warn winch isnt working.. i took the quad off my truck a week ago and put it in my garage.. and the winch worked at that time and when i went to use it, i tested it and nothing happened.. all i got was a noise out of the contactor.. by it clicking and nothing happening.. i switched it out with my other quad since that one is working and the same thing really...

my idea is the motor in the winch is gone but is there a way on how to test it?... like hook it directly to a battery and see if the winch will turn?

any input on my problem would help grately...thanks

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Probably nothing too serious :confused: Its really not a big job to pull your winch out and tear it down. I do this at least twice a season. You won't believe the crap that gets in there. All warn parts for a rebuild are Cheap, Cheap.
Does it free spool? Have you checked all wiring closely? It might be the contacts/brushes on the motor. Good Luck

coldschilling

Reaction score
yea it free spools... i'm going to pull it out today and see what happens and maybe try to problem solve it with my other quad.. and see how that goes.. warn just refered me to there service center in calgary so i'm hoping i can get the parts from them to rebuild it if need be..

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Very simple to clean but you need to completely tear it apart paying careful attention as to what parts go where and how. I find that just cleaning it usually does the trick then I grease it good and your good to go. Make sure you take the motor right apart too and check the brushes at the bottom to ensure they're in good shape.
If you do require parts keep all the old ones .... I have a good collection of various parts now and it comes in handy if you crack a housing etc. Oh on that note when you reassemble do not over tighten or you will crack the plastic housing! Good luck! :beer::d:beer:

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doc
Recently my warn wing quit working i plowed my driveway and at the end the winch will spool in but won't spool out. i tried plugging in the winch control under the little hood thingy thinking the problem might be with my handlebar switch and it still didn't work. Do you have any pointers on where to start looking to get it working again?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the contactor. I had mine break a solder joint inside. Just resolded it and it is as good as new. I had bought a new one to use in the mean time

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I eventually just gave up on mine and went out and bought a 3500 superwinch from princessauto. As luck will have it they are 100 dollars off right now at 219. Way quieter and more power a great winch for a snowplow...at least mine is.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I eventually just gave up on mine and went out and bought a 3500 superwinch from princessauto. As luck will have it they are 100 dollars off right now at 219. Way quieter and more power a great winch for a snowplow...at least mine is.
I almost bought one of those for my sled deck on monday. I decided to get the 69 dollar one instead seeing as how it won't be used much.

Top Bottom