WARD 7 - Elections - County of Strathcona - Oct 2010

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WARD 7 - Elections - County of Strathcona - Monday Oct 18

HI All

ELECTIONS MONDAY OCTOBER 18 - VOTE DON MCPHERSON
Well we have all been waiting for this day to come for some one to Oppose Glen Lawrence for councilor of Ward 7 in the County of Strathcona.

Most everyone knows by now that the Glen Lawrence is very opposed to motorized sports in the County of Strathcona and has assisted in block all attemps to link Cooking Lake to the Ministik Bird Sanctuary 3 miles to the south.

THERE IS A NEW MAN RUNNING FOR WARD 7 - Mr. Don McPherson

Let's all get together and show our support for Don in the Oct 2010 Election

Here is an email from Don announcing his running for Councillor

So please email Don and show him that you support him and what his platform supports.

To the residents and voters of Ward 7 Strathcona County, My name is Don McPherson and I would like to announce that I will be running for councilor in the October 2010 election.
Over the past 2 years ward 7 has been neglected by the present representation and a feeling of frustration and resentment is brewing in the ward. I want voters to know that a viable alternative will be running and hope is on the way.
I have fielded many a phone call from frustrated voters looking for a direction to take
These are just some of the topics which I have encountered and hope to rectify when elected.

Fire Smart
( A program developed by Sustainable resources using Vegegetation management, retaining walls and rock to help in the start of wild fires )
- Advocating that the county adopt and invest in implementing the Fire Smart program, which is a program for Protecting Your Community from Wildfire and preventing another episode as experienced by the County in 2009.
I encourage all residents, media and present council to attend a information session on this topic given by the Partners in Protection November 16, 2009 7 P.M. at the St Johns Lutheran Church basement 52233 Range Road 221 Sherwood Park

Improving Ward 7 Services
- implementing High Speed Internet
5 years of the present councilor being on a committee to research this and still no high speed internet, no status updates WHY???????
Re- Establishing Fairness & Balance

- between land owner interests & environmental concerns with a common sense & flexible county program

Advocating for Improved Snowmobile Safety
- By creating a short 3 km corridor trail to link to existing trails, therefore reducing the unsafe roadside ditch riding we commonly see in our ward

Secondary note to the above – Tri County Snowmobile Club made a proposal for such a corridor in February 2008………still no word on this from the County, no phone calls returned………….Nothing!

Quicker resolve to issues, proposals, and complaints
- No group or individual should have to wait an excessive amount to hear a result or answer to their queries

Hosting Scheduled Meetings
- with Ward 7 residents making sure your concerns are continually heard & addressed

Liaise with the Provincial Representative (Dave Quest)
- Promote that the Transportation Utility Corridor, which was zoned and developed for High Voltage Power Lines over 25 years ago to be the route selected

Appeal Board Concerns
Once a by-law has been passed Council sits as the Appeal Board, this negates the elected ward representative as he/she can not address any concerns for that would put them in a position of “Conflict of interest” Municipal Affairs allow for other options which I would like to investigate.

If you wish to contact me with regards to these or any other matters please feel free to email me at donmcpherson_5@hotmail.com

Don McPherson

Please pass this along to everyone you know in Ward 7..

Thanks

Last edited:

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we need this out on top for all Ward 7 residents

HI All

Well we have all been waiting for this day to come for some one to Oppose Glen Lawrence for councilor of Ward 7 in the County of Strathcona.

Most everyone knows by now that the Glen Lawrence is very opposed to motorized sports in the County of Strathcona and has assisted in block all attemps to link Cooking Lake to the Ministik Bird Sanctuary 3 miles to the south.

THERE IS A NEW MAN RUNNING FOR WARD 7 - Mr. Don McPherson

Let's all get together and show our support for Don in the Oct 2010 Election

Here is an email from Don announcing his running for Councillor

So please email Don and show him that you support him and what his platform supports.

To the residents and voters of Ward 7 Strathcona County, My name is Don McPherson and I would like to announce that I will be running for councilor in the October 2010 election.
Over the past 2 years ward 7 has been neglected by the present representation and a feeling of frustration and resentment is brewing in the ward. I want voters to know that a viable alternative will be running and hope is on the way.
I have fielded many a phone call from frustrated voters looking for a direction to take
These are just some of the topics which I have encountered and hope to rectify when elected.

Fire Smart
( A program developed by Sustainable resources using Vegegetation management, retaining walls and rock to help in the start of wild fires )
- Advocating that the county adopt and invest in implementing the Fire Smart program, which is a program for Protecting Your Community from Wildfire and preventing another episode as experienced by the County in 2009.
I encourage all residents, media and present council to attend a information session on this topic given by the Partners in Protection November 16, 2009 7 P.M. at the St Johns Lutheran Church basement 52233 Range Road 221 Sherwood Park

Improving Ward 7 Services
- implementing High Speed Internet
5 years of the present councilor being on a committee to research this and still no high speed internet, no status updates WHY???????
Re- Establishing Fairness & Balance

- between land owner interests & environmental concerns with a common sense & flexible county program

Advocating for Improved Snowmobile Safety
- By creating a short 3 km corridor trail to link to existing trails, therefore reducing the unsafe roadside ditch riding we commonly see in our ward

Secondary note to the above – Tri County Snowmobile Club made a proposal for such a corridor in February 2008………still no word on this from the County, no phone calls returned………….Nothing!

Quicker resolve to issues, proposals, and complaints
- No group or individual should have to wait an excessive amount to hear a result or answer to their queries

Hosting Scheduled Meetings
- with Ward 7 residents making sure your concerns are continually heard & addressed

Liaise with the Provincial Representative (Dave Quest)
- Promote that the Transportation Utility Corridor, which was zoned and developed for High Voltage Power Lines over 25 years ago to be the route selected

Appeal Board Concerns
Once a by-law has been passed Council sits as the Appeal Board, this negates the elected ward representative as he/she can not address any concerns for that would put them in a position of “Conflict of interest” Municipal Affairs allow for other options which I would like to investigate.

If you wish to contact me with regards to these or any other matters please feel free to email me at donmcpherson_5@hotmail.com

Don McPherson

Please pass this along to everyone you know in Ward 7..

Thanks

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don has a website as well. See attached:

I am going to make a commitment to be out at the candidates forum on the 12th to voice some support to the snowmobile trail initiative ( and waterhauling concerns).

Anyone else want to make it out - I might even buy beers at Country Boyz later!!:d:beer:

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Elections are on MONDAY -- October 18 -- Please vote for DON MCPHERSON

Ward #7 County of Strathcona -- he is about the only councillor that is publicly supporting organized snowmobiling

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your right Brian about outright verbal support but some others said they support trails. Jacquie Fenskie is a big supporter of sledding in Ward 5
DUNN in Ward 6 is as GREEN as they get. His favorite vehicle is a pedal bike:confused:

We need support from the urban councillors to make a big change.

Don McPherson is a good start for the necessary changes.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it looks like don didn't get in. Does anyone know where this Bonnie redell stands on the snowmobile issue?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like She won by a very small amount but she still won. Now we have to deal with her.
Talked to Jaquie Fenske and she said Snowmobile Recreation Trails still on the books to be started this year. Will take a bit but county seems to be heading our way slowly.
For all those sledders in that Ward that didnt vote. Shame on you. You all want a change and had a chance. To all those that voted. Thanks you tried to make a change.

Now will the new Mayor work or not.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently moved to ward 7 so I am not up to speed on who is for or against the corridor. I take it the old mayor wasn't very receptive to the idea?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or glen lawrence. everything that is wrong with ward 7.

i cant beleive he does what he does and gets away with it. or gets voted in somehow. just goes to show ward 7 has some nutjobs ovbiously.

oh well bonnie is a nice lady sometimes. lets hope we she can push this issue in a timely manner.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did any of you ever talk to Bonnie Ridell/ What is her stand on the snowmobile corridor? I think she is pretty green but maybe willing to work. Guess no update from the group that was working on this issue.

No idea about new mayor but a good friend of ours was working on her campain. Will call her

Top Bottom