walnut shells

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone in the drilling biz experience using walnut shells for lost circulation? Looking at importing it and wondering if it is widely used in Canada compared to other parts of the world?

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they use them for walnutblasting to like sandblasting maybe wrong

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone in the drilling biz experience using walnut shells for lost circulation? Looking at importing it and wondering if it is widely used in Canada compared to other parts of the world?

What is in the thought process for walnet shells Dennis?

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
You want something that will expand in the annulus. There are many products that you pour down, right out of the bag, push it down with your drill-stem, add fresh water, wait, and regain circulation. Depending on the situation, cement slurry works the best (expando-mix) rebuild your zone from the bottom up. You might want to give a little more information on your situation, type of well & application. Sometimes a gel pill will fill the void up enough to temporarorly regain circ; it all depends on well pressure, hydrostatic variables, and cost. Good luck!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know that when this product is used successfully a well is drilled, right? When a well is drilled, a hydrocarbon comes out and is often transported via a pipeline....sometimes the pipeline might go through BC. Jus' sayin'...... ;)

We use walnut shells for LCM and for T&D reduction. Walnut is quite hard and embeds in the well bore and provides little bumpers for the drill pipe to slide easier. For lost circulation they are a decent product to be mixed with other products in a LCM pill. Cement squeezes are last resort for total losses. Gel pills are for total losses at shallow depths (surface hole) generally. I've seen some pretty nasty lost circulation cured with a well blended LCM pill.....

As for importing it....well we have our own supplier and we buy a rail car at a time, but you might contact Canamara or Bri-Chem (although Bri-chem may have been bought out...can't remember) and see if it something they would buy. (FYI we sell a 50#sx for around $45.00 and the margins are VERY good. If you can't sell it to someone for well under 10 bucks a sx, it won't be worth their while)

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken, we are slowing bridging some agri business with mining and "researching" to expand into oil. We sell straw to some mines out here in BC (from AB) and thru some research I discovered walnut shells are used in the drilling process during lost circulation. Just like DaveB and BB described, walnut shells are used but I also found that cotton seed shells, coconut, pecans are also used.

What is in the thought process for walnet shells Dennis?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken, we are slowing bridging some agri business with mining and "researching" to expand into oil. We sell straw to some mines out here in BC (from AB) and thru some research I discovered walnut shells are used in the drilling process during lost circulation. Just like DaveB and BB described, walnut shells are used but I also found that cotton seed shells, coconut, pecans are also used.

Get me a quote on cotton seed hulls please....

Top Bottom