Wake/Ski Boat experiences

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to ski seriously, like 22' off or more, don't buy a Vdrive u can put a lot of weight into a good ski boat and surf the **** outta it but u can't get a good wake for skiing with those large boats
I have a 99 nautique with factory ballasts and it is a true everything boat 1200 hours and haven't spent $400 on repairs in 16 years still runs like a top prob could find a low hour 98-2002 for under 20gs

It's certainly an option, but the V-drive layout is what we are after with the little people. There are a lot of options out there for a direct drive at a pretty reasonable price.

Here's a question for everyone out there - looking at any of these boats that are 10+ years old - anything in particular to look for? Vinyl is an obvious one, but anything else? Most are pretty simple and there isn't a lot to them. The electronics on the very new stuff scare me for the length of time we plan to keep our boat.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 205504I have a 13 moomba mobius and it has been a awesome boat all around and the surf wave is great i paid 55 for is 3 summers ago and the boat hasnt missed a beat just over 160 hours on it now makes just a nice of wave if not nicer then the big name boats

Green is cool. I've never had a pull behind a LSV, but have on both versions of the Outback. Nice boats, good value, but the Outback didn't seem to excel at anything - poopy skiing wake, mediocre boarding wake, and owner kept chasing electrical gremlins. Granted that could happen on any boats/car/truck, but it sort of turned me off of the Moombas

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant compare a outback to the mobius there not much electronics on the moomba i have its all rocker switches and verybusuer friendly, ive heard a few horror stories of the fancy 5000 dollar touchscreen not turning on after a cold winter storage on the malibus but every boat has there issues but so far mine has been flawless

QUOTE=Rotax_Kid;2416319]Green is cool. I've never had a pull behind a LSV, but have on both versions of the Outback. Nice boats, good value, but the Outback didn't seem to excel at anything - poopy skiing wake, mediocre boarding wake, and owner kept chasing electrical gremlins. Granted that could happen on any boats/car/truck, but it sort of turned me off of the Moombas[/QUOTE]

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
My old boat was a outback dd I would say my vlx has a better ski wake it's a lot smoother and it defiantly out surfs and wake board plus the comfort is second to none
If you ever in the stony plain area and want a pull I'd be more than happy

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most important thing with whatever boat you buy is take a day go out and figure out what your boat likes for weight in which spot and just play with the wave the new boats it fool proof but the older ones take a little more work but it well worth your time

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
^^ It's true the new cross over boats have come a long way. I sold my 05 X2 and bought a Prostar 197, love the ski wake, but room and all aroundness was lost. I ended up buying a pontoon aswell and just use the ski boat for sports only. The one thing I hate about the direct drive is how low it sits in the water. With all the huge wake surf boats out there now we have to be very careful. We have had rollers come over the side of the boat a couple times now. I buddie I ski with just bought a brand new Nautique GS20, wow what a nice boat. That boat is a true cross over

kinda miss the X2 actually

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ It's true the new cross over boats have come a long way. I sold my 05 X2 and bought a Prostar 197, love the ski wake, but room and all aroundness was lost. I ended up buying a pontoon aswell and just use the ski boat for sports only. The one thing I hate about the direct drive is how low it sits in the water. With all the huge wake surf boats out there now we have to be very careful. We have had rollers come over the side of the boat a couple times now. I buddie I ski with just bought a brand new Nautique GS20, wow what a nice boat. That boat is a true cross over

Little of where I'm at...little guys are still little. Want something with a relatively high freeboard to keep them in.

New Malibu's/Nautiques, and Mastercrafts are nice, but my budget would only allow me to buy the trailer!

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com

Yes if was buying new it would have been the gs 22 it was $145 holy sh$$$

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wizard in Kelowna will have some smoking deals... I think he said 30 ordered boats cancelled due to flood

They sell centurion too.... nice boat

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not a bad price go price out a G23 or G25 Nautique they start at $200,000 but there a awesome boat

This is the year to buy one! I'm sure u could get a pimped g25 for under $200...There was 5 g25 sitting on the lot. Both lots are pretty full. They had over a mill in canceled orders

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could barey justify 55 for my boat i dont no how some people pay for the 150 plus thousand dollar boats, and have two new vehicles parked in the driveway.

QUOTE=OVERKILL 19;2416415]This is the year to buy one! I'm sure u could get a pimped g25 for under $200...There was 5 g25 sitting on the lot. Both lots are pretty full. They had over a mill in canceled orders[/QUOTE]

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could barey justify 55 for my boat i dont no how some people pay for the 150 plus thousand dollar boats, and have two new vehicles parked in the driveway.

QUOTE=OVERKILL 19;2416415]This is the year to buy one! I'm sure u could get a pimped g25 for under $200...There was 5 g25 sitting on the lot. Both lots are pretty full. They had over a mill in canceled orders
[/QUOTE]

I cant believe some of the taxes guys pay for lake front kelowna, there's one 10 houses down he's $50-60 a year.....

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got out yesterday behind a Sanger. Flagged down a really nice guy on the lake boarding behind one. Def throwback to old school low freeboard designs. Boat handles awesome, seemed like a nice multisport wake. Low freeboard worries me if we get big into surfing. Luckily we are on a small lake where we never get large swells, but with the little guys I'd prefer a taller freeboard. Bargin though...guy paid 46 for a v215 new 3 years ago.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the svfara? Was only on for one day and it sold.

Top Bottom