Volkswagon BS

scottp

Reaction score
So I went to the VW dealer in Edmonton today to buy an oil filter for the wifes new Jetta. The parts guy asks if I need oil and that I can only use the Castrol Edge synthetic 5W30 API sevice SM,SF that they sell for $15/qt. or my warrantee for engine damage won't be honored.He also said that they put a dye in the oil and can tell if I'm using their oil or not. I bought the oil because its a brand new car and I don't want the hassle. On the way home I stop at Costco for a few things and see that they have Castrol Edge synthetic 5W30 API service SN,SM,SL at $33/case of 6.
Am I safe to assume that since both of these say API service SM on the bottle, that I could use either one and have a leg to stand on if anything bad were to happen?
Thanks

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The partsman is a manure spreader. Motor oil with the same make and specs are one and the same. As for the dye, ask him to prove it. Is the dye warranteed by Volkswagen?

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
the guy did one hell of a good job upselling you. as long as you buy the proper stuff. keep your bills and document mileage you are good. you don't need to buy it from the dealership at heavily inflated prices

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife has a new 13 jetta tdi they tried that **** with me told them to stick it up there ass I get all my oil changes by jiffy lube your warranty isn't as good as the paper it's wrote on don't fool yourself

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
U can use any oil as long as it is the proper grade and engineering designation (API rating) .... Refer to your owner manual for oil recommendations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

canadiancon

Reaction score
I have a 2012 tdi and they can't deny warranty unless they can prove the oil you used caused the problem. You just have to make sure you meet the specs in the manual, I use mobile one 5w40 European blend. Don't let them push you around.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would compare the sku number on the barcode, if they are the same they should be an identical product, but I do know VW is very stringent on oil ratings.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all of that new castrol oil has the dye in it from castrol to aid in leak detection nothing else we use it at our chev dealer and get them to prove you didn't use the correct oil lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I heard vw don't have filler caps. They push the oil up through the drain plug! Heard they do that so you got to go to them for oil changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Thats funny call BS on them ...always just politely ask them to put that down in writing....or say with a strict policy like that it must have to be in writing and ask for a copy....and yet they never ever seem to give you one. Remember there is a huge difference in "having" too or "recommending" too

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which dealer and who was the parts guy? I know pretty much almost everyone that works at the dealers, Ive been part of the local vw/audi car club scene for a few years now. Go to Autobahn Performance on the west end next time, great guys and they don't buy into dealer bullsit either, 780.487.7337

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh those oils can be tricky in the TDI's, I've had one for 9 years now and seen lots of debates on oils in them. Will 2nd shoppingcart on autobahn performance though, they did my timing belt a few years ago with upgraded parts too boot. They know what works not what the dealer thinks will work cause that's what they were told.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go see my buddies Rob & Noah @ Westside, they will sort you out for much cheaper than the dealer. Better service too!

Top Bottom