Visco Lok

split406

Reaction score
For 2013, are all Visco Loks the "QE" version, or just cetain models? Is the Visco Lok comparable to the AWD on Polaris?

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes correct.. all PS models come with qe... its the fastest to date lock and does compare to the polaris now.. the older models prior to 2010 had slower engaging of the fouth wheel.. the 07's where the worst and then they made them quicker for 08 and 09 till the QE came out in 2010 with the power sterring... although some say the qe does not work good in non PS models but i beg to differ.. i had an 2007 renegade and i put the QE in my machine under warranty cause my front diff was broken.. it worked awesome and i had no problems with it. i did run a precison steering stabizer on my non power steering machine. i put over 3000k on it before my bike got stolen...

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 2012 Canam 500 with power steering as well as a few other friends with older model 800's. The 2012 is better (a little faster to kick in) but it is still a 3 wheel drive. Before all the canam guys gang up on me, I will say canam makes a sweet machine and 90% of the time the 4x4 system is not an issue but imo it does not compare to the polaris 4x4. When it is an issue you can be sure the guy pulling you out will bring it to your attention LOL I know I do.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the locker that I had on my '07 Outty was the shits. Three wheeling for what seemed like forever before it kicked in #4.
Looking at two new machines for this spring. Good to know the QE is only on the PS equipped units. I would like to get PS for my chick and I'm looking at an XXC Gade so I guess I will be getting it too!
I could live without it but if I have to have it cuz it comes on the XXC then so be it.

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you ride power steering, believe me you will NEVER go back and shake you head why have' nt i switched sooner..

The racing community was even more against it.. they said will never do PS.. we all like the hard feel and feedback of the ground into the bars..
we will keep using a steering stabilizer, they all said...

WELL.....

now everybody is on PS in the pro ranks.. best thing that happened as far as they are all concerned.. and not a need for a 600 buck stabilizer either on the can-ams.. its built into the PS on Can-am.

where the popo 4x4 would do better than the qe visco is in a stopped postion where you would be starting out.. there with the popo you have instant 4 wheel drive.. with can-am you would still have about 1/2 to 1 full turn before the 4 th wheel will grab...same in rock section on a slow technical ride...

but here's the thing. at a dead stop still you would need to hammer the throttle a bit..that way you get that 4 th wheel moving quicker.. and 1/2 turn of the tire is not a really big deal.. so technically
the popo 4x4 is no. 1

now how many racers to you see starting at a starting line and hammer it thru whatever they are doing.. well then the visco rules cause it comes on under throttle just as quick as the popo and its all auto
from there.. at speed which most should be doing a hole anyways and not stopping in the middle of it.. and on a hill you need momentum forward with throttle control and not stop on the hill when you incounter a rock ledge lets say.. forward momentum and skill gets you up the rocky parts so do you really need that better 4 x4 system?

i say no.. i say with all of can-ams features they are lightyears ahead of other manufacturers .. superior suspension.. geometry, hanlding, power.. its the whole performance package...
now popo is stepping up the anti with filtering more money into racing cause thats where all your technology comes from.. its not from the factory engineers.. lol

1 st year for 850 scrambler.. very nice.. wait a year or too.. they will be caught up to can-am in no time.. sxs is split as far as racing goes but in the comsumer side the popo's stant out as a better performance machine.. which i agree with.. now the anti set again with the maverick.. its a major silent war! lmao

and we are the losers wanting these new fangangled machines cause soon here.. you will be able to buy your new dodge or chevy or ford truck for as much as a sxs or quad mite by some day..
sxs's are pretty close now...lol with a buch of add ons..

it never ends..

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 2012 Canam 500 with power steering as well as a few other friends with older model 800's. The 2012 is better (a little faster to kick in) but it is still a 3 wheel drive. Before all the canam guys gang up on me, I will say canam makes a sweet machine and 90% of the time the 4x4 system is not an issue but imo it does not compare to the polaris 4x4. When it is an issue you can be sure the guy pulling you out will bring it to your attention LOL I know I do.

I'm not sure if the 500's get the QE diff. My 2012 1000 does have it, and I can tell you that the 4th wheel locks in with less than a half turn (maybe even a quarter turn)....it's very fast.

chop

Reaction score
Yes , my 2013 500 xt has the qe diff.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you guys are figuring out how many turns it takes before your visco-lok engages, I'm usually head down throttle to the bar screaming like a little girl when I hit a good mud hole....

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how we know? when you go into a technical rock area lets say or if your in a hole and one tire is off the ground and the other is not.. while your sitting there you press the trottle slowly and when the first tire moves you see who long it takes for the other one to kick in.. the faster you press the throttle, the quicker the visco pump fills up with oil and the 4 wheel kicks in... under acceleration from say 10 -15 k and punch it and its instant.. so from a stop still its about 1/2 turn of the tire and quicker from there

where as the older models, you had to wait like 3 to 4 turns before the 4 th would catch drive.. the 07's where even worse with about 5 to 6 turns of the front tire before the other one kicked in

Last edited:
Top Bottom