Vintage sled drag racing

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picking up a 1978 kawasaki invader 440 this week and thinking of taking it to a few vintage races. Anyone else race vintage sleds? Any tips on setup?
Test test test. Are you going round and round or straight line?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picking up a 1978 kawasaki invader 440 this week and thinking of taking it to a few vintage races. Anyone else race vintage sleds? Any tips on setup?
Find out how long the track is then gear and clutch accordingly. You want your sled to be accelerating the whole race but getting near top speed at the finish line. Adjust your suspension for the best hole shot and keep the sled a light as possible no spare belts or tools and minimal fuel. Have fun and good luck!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Detail as much as you can. Invaders were leaf spring if I remember so no way to tie front suspension down. Perfect ski alignment, full front of skid up some so no wheelieing, gear down but test in track distance, clutching clean and no worn parts, belt alignment and tightness is critical, carb jetting spot on for temp and altitude. Light brown tan color on plugs and gapped perfect. Engine has good compression? Are you allowed to run picks or other traction products? If it’s ice I would imagine yes. Probably some safety stuff you will have to do like tied tail flap, working tailight and tether cord. And last but not least walk the pits and look at other sleds. Racers are very inventive. You may pick up some things that can help you!

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Detail as much as you can. Invaders were leaf spring if I remember so no way to tie front suspension down. Perfect ski alignment, full front of skid up some so no wheelieing, gear down but test in track distance, clutching clean and no worn parts, belt alignment and tightness is critical, carb jetting spot on for temp and altitude. Light brown tan color on plugs and gapped perfect. Engine has good compression? Are you allowed to run picks or other traction products? If it’s ice I would imagine yes. Probably some safety stuff you will have to do like tied tail flap, working tailight and tether cord. And last but not least walk the pits and look at other sleds. Racers are very inventive. You may pick up some things that can help you!
I bet you were shaking with excitement the whole time you typed that Ken! 🤣

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet you were shaking with excitement the whole time you typed that Ken! 🤣
Back in my wheelhouse Jerry! IMG_5238.jpeg

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Might go up and race the vintage ones at candle lake this year with my dad. Be my first time. Studs on the track may be an advantage, new belt, tuned up and maybe some spare jets for weather changes to fine tune. Good fuel and squash the throttle lol. Having a pit crew (one extra guy) lol, would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt mind doing some drag races on my 2009. Cant get rid of it, might as well try.to have some fun with it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Might go up and race the vintage ones at candle lake this year with my dad. Be my first time. Studs on the track may be an advantage, new belt, tuned up and maybe some spare jets for weather changes to fine tune. Good fuel and squash the throttle lol. Having a pit crew (one extra guy) lol, would help

Some of the races will not let you race if you are studded. Make sure you double check their rules!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a line on a site that gives values for vintage sleds? Looking at a 1976 Moto Ski Sonic 340 TS. Be nice to know approx value so I don’t get hosed lol

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Learn how to cheat the rules or push the limits of them. And spend money if you want to place
It’s pretty competitive.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a line on a site that gives values for vintage sleds? Looking at a 1976 Moto Ski Sonic 340 TS. Be nice to know approx value so I don’t get hosed lol
Definitely more than they used to be. Not long ago old sleds could hardly be given away. This invader was $1300 but in really good shape other than small hole in hood and seat needs to be recovered.

Top Bottom