Vintage Oval Racing In Regina - Feb 19 2012

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Emailed back and forth a bit with the promoter Brice Olsen in Regina regarding this event.
He's managed to round up some sponsorship $$ now so it looks like this event is gaining some momentum
Anyone that knows of any vintage racers/sleds please direct them to this thread

We'll hopefully have an 81 Scorpion 250X IFS Sno Pro there as well as the twin-track for the Open class
It's 2 weeks before the Beausejour 50th weekend so a good opportunity to shake-down the sleds

Any racers out there ?
Anyone? Anyone?... Bueler?.... lol
WopOnTour

Attachments

• IMAG0401_SM.jpg
    IMAG0401_SM.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

WopOnTour

Reaction score
So far I know we have a couple of people trying to get ready to attend ths oval race event.
Blake Read from Calgary (of snojet.com fame) is getting a 75 SST FA and possibly a 74 Thunderjet ready...
As well as Greg S. ( on these forums) out in Rocky Mountian House who is is constructing an F-500 sled (much like the one with the teeth in the photos below which is based on an 97-92 Indy 500)
NB Racing should also be there.
Anyone else??
WopOnTour

Attachments

• 392640_10150411596242617_664082616_8687612_1307911463_n.jpg
    392640_10150411596242617_664082616_8687612_1307911463_n.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for sleds as I'd love to but cant find what I want?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would put my 340 liquifire in that but too far away .... i will have too look for something closer

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Re: Vintage Drag and Oval Racing at Earl Grey (near Regina) - Feb 18-19 2012

It appears the Earl Grey Snow Leopards will aslo be hosting an ice drag event at Earl Grey (~1/2 hour north of Regina) on Sat Feb 18 and the ovals will be on the 19th

Here's a link to an SK forum thread with photos from last years event www.sasksnowmobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3864

These people look very organized with lots of sleds both vintage and newer but I'm certain they could use some additional support from AB racers

So those of you with sport sleds that want to try some ice drags, throw on some needles and give it a go!
(there's numerous classes so all sleds no matter what displacement or power adders will have the opportunity for "fair" competition)

If the interest is there we might even look at creating some sort of "home at home" event for next season!

WopOnTour

Last edited:

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Build a F-500 sled! Just need to get yourself a '89-'92 Indy 500. Do some customizing and have fun with it. Plus you can make it look like anything you want, even the sleds you can't seem to find!
What restrictions on mods are allowed in the F 500. Will the track be ice or snow? I used to race small town ovals back in late 70s and I just so happen to have a great running 92 Indy 500 efi sks that would love to do some track time. I would love to get back into oval racing locally around Regina.

What other classes are there. I have access to a 93 indy storm that if worthwhile I would love to mod for racing.

Last edited:

think_07

Reaction score
Here are the rules and some more information about the F-500 sleds.

racingonly

The tracks are ice. If you do get a sled together make sure to come check out the 50th annual CPTC in Beausejour this year. Its not that far of a drive for an amazing event.

You would need to run a non-efi 500 indy, but I believe you can change your sled over from EFI to carbureted though and run the same bottom end. I'm not sure about the Indy storm, how many cc's is it. There is a sportsman 600 class out there that can run '85 to '98 600cc and under sleds if I remember correctly (some sanctions might be '85-'00 now).

Any more questions let me know.

Greg

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks to me from the racingonly link that I will need to rework my present sled alot. EFI, Track, Skid...My sled is a 136" (sks version) so I would be better off locating a used I 500 of the proper configuration. Won't happen this year. The storm is a triple 750 so no go and is a 136 also. Sounds like a possibility for me to consider if this takes off in this province as I am not interested in traveling out of province.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would love to see the Polaris RXLs of 77/78 vintage again. These are still my all time favorite designs. Watched the Polaris factory team destroy all competition in those years at Waldheim sno pro (just north of Saskatoon). The RXLs would lap the others by race end. Still have pics of the sleds that I took from the pits.

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Looks to me from the racingonly link that I will need to rework my present sled alot. EFI, Track, Skid...My sled is a 136" (sks version) so I would be better off locating a used I 500 of the proper configuration. Won't happen this year. The storm is a triple 750 so no go and is a 136 also. Sounds like a possibility for me to consider if this takes off in this province as I am not interested in traveling out of province.
You're correct.You must use ONLY 89-92 carb model Indy 500s. Even the cylinders or exhaust from the EFI sled is illegal for F500. Best would be to find a real basket-case with an engine as not much of the original sled other than chassis/tunnel, skid and engine is retained. The stock track is OK if it is in good shape but most install the legal 121" Camoplast replacement # 9812R

Below (WAY AT THE BOTTOM) is a PDF of a magazine article that shows some of the process of stripping down the donor sled. Most of the parts such as tie-rods, skis, etc can be purchased from Wahl Bros, Hooper, and other outfits. They do their very best to keep costs down.

The sled with the shark teeth in the photo above is an F-500 built by one of our NB Racing drivers who lives in Minnesota. (it actually looks a bit different now as he has a new hood)
But we are building at least 1 more for next season as it is a very popular class and a great feeder system into the "bigs".
In fact we just picked up a couple of rough 91 Indy chassis from up in Northern AB. (but only one had an engine)

So if you can find the donor sled on the cheap, it really doesnt take that much $$ (mostly time and effort) to make a really sweet handling oval tracker from these frames as basically they are just more robust trail versions of the original RXL oval tracker chassis.

Would love to see the Polaris RXLs of 77/78 vintage again. These are still my all time favorite designs. Watched the Polaris factory team destroy all competition in those years at Waldheim sno pro (just north of Saskatoon). The RXLs would lap the others by race end. Still have pics of the sleds that I took from the pits.
BUILD ONE!
In fact here are some pics of one that went from an 83 Indy junker to practically a fullout RXL (but legal in only certain VINTAGE classes that permit "repops" of the original pre-85 IFS sleds)
I know the BEFORE looks bad but once you use industrial paint stipper to remove all that bad paint and it immediately looks like a million bucks! then beat everything out that's dented/damaged, weld up any cracks or breaks and start buidling it back up again... NOW IF YOU COULD ONLY FIND A 340 TRIPLE!!! lol

WOT
PS> I was racing at those WSRF World Series events at Waldhiem in 80 and 81 - very likely some the largest oval racing events EVER in Canada!
I doubt I'll never forget watching #96 man-handle that one-of-a-kind factory Ski-Doo twin-tracker around that beautiful ice track in Waldhiem!

HERE'S THE BEFORE AND AFTER OF THE INDY TO RXL BUILD (The Indy to F500 PDF is after the pics)

Attachments

• RXLBEFORE.jpg
    RXLBEFORE.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 135
  • RXLAFTER1.jpg
    RXLAFTER1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 138
  • RXLAFTER2.jpg
    RXLAFTER2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 135
  • RXLAFTER3.jpg
    RXLAFTER3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Polaris Indy to F500 racer.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

think_07

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
BUILD ONE!
In fact here are some pics of one that went from an 83 Indy junker to practically a fullout RXL (but legal in only certain VINTAGE classes that permit "repops" of the original pre-85 IFS sleds)
I know the BEFORE looks bad but once you use industrial paint stipper to remove all that bad paint and it immediately looks like a million bucks! then beat everything out that's dented/damaged, weld up any cracks or breaks and start buidling it back up again... NOW IF YOU COULD ONLY FIND A 340 TRIPLE!!! lol
[/QUOTE]

That sled won't be legal to race in IFS or IFS X according to the ISR rulebook. I would love to build one if it was. To build a legal clone you need a replica bulkhead.

Greg

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Well they are running them SOMEWHERE as there's quite a few of them.
I just assumed the first gen Indy bulkhead was identical to the RXL but I'll admit I've never really researched it.
Assuming they are in fact different if you want a re-pop RXL bulkhead maybe email our team-mate Nick (he works for Al Enno/SnoPro Unlimited)
and we probably have another Indy tunnel laying around
WOT

Last edited:

think_07

Reaction score
Good to know I never knew he works for Al Enno/SnoPro Unlimited! What a lucky guy. I would really like to build a snopro clone but the money factor may force me to wait a couple years. For the time being my next project will be to turn my Sno*Jet SST into an oval sled for next years season.
If anyone has a 440 freeair or even a 340 free air please let me know it is needing a powerplant!
(yamaha 433 f/a or 338 f/a found in GPX's, SST's and Thunderjets) Thanks!!

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Good to know I never knew he works for Al Enno/SnoPro Unlimited! What a lucky guy. I would really like to build a snopro clone but the money factor may force me to wait a couple years. For the time being my next project will be to turn my Sno*Jet SST into an oval sled for next years season.
If anyone has a 440 freeair or even a 340 free air please let me know it is needing a powerplant!
(yamaha 433 f/a or 338 f/a found in GPX's, SST's and Thunderjets) Thanks!!
I know.
You dont want to know how much $$ has been invested so far in the NB Racing Scorpion SnoPro (Enno 81 Cat replica ala Nick) and it hasnt even seen a track yet!
Below is a couple of "update" photos as to how it looks recently. Very close now, freshly built 250 and and Racepak data collection system installed this week, since it's in the mad rush for Eagle River! (flat black will have to do for now lol) Go Nick!!

We still have a 75 SST 340 F/A in the stable. (we were a Sno-Jet dealer from 74-80) I was going to try and get it out of the mothballs for Earl Grey and BJ but got crazy busy with work and just ran out of time. Shooting for 50th Eagle River 2012 now! lol
I used to love racing those SSTs as they were genuine "slepeers" and could routinely stay right with the GPXs, TJets, Zs and TX free-airs which generally battled it in out those classes in the local NWSA back in the day. (and even took down a few 1st place cheques) The damn Rupp and Sno-Twister F/A were another story though, fortunately there were only a few around here and many went mod-stock. Our 340 SST F/A really only needs a major cleanup and perhaps a re-ring (it's been sitting tarped up for 25 years now), but I still have some new Wisecos that I could put in. Also more than a little bit worried about the 36 year old track! lol
But if your SST F/C is stamped as a 75 chassis you MIGHT be able to sneak it into Super Stock with a F/A I suppose.I would go 440 if I were you. I do know a guy in SK (who'll be at Earl Grey) that has some 440 F/A engines and even GYT cylinders for reasonable $$. The piston is no problem as you can modify it to GYT dimensions easily enough. If you want I'll PM you his contact info.
If you ever get to stage 2 with the SST project I can help you with some neccssary rear skid mods to drop it down. Maybe this summer if I decide to do a new no-slip track drive (to run the Camoplast) we could team up. Blake Read is thinking of doing this too with his SST as right now he has an oddball involute drive and paddle track in it.

Hope we finally get to meet at either Earl Grey or BJ 50th. First rounds on me!
WopOnTour

Attachments

• NBRacing81Scorpion_3.jpg
    NBRacing81Scorpion_3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 118
  • NBracing81Scorpion_2.jpg
    NBracing81Scorpion_2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

think_07

Reaction score
I know.
You dont want to know how much $$ has been invested so far in the NB Racing Scorpion SnoPro (Enno 81 Cat replica ala Nick) and it hasnt even seen a track yet!
Below is a couple of "update" photos as to how it looks recently. Very close now, freshly built 250 and and Racepak data collection system installed this week, since it's in the mad rush for Eagle River! (flat black will have to do lol) Go Nick!!

We still have a 75 SST 340 F/A in the stable. (we were a Sno-Jet dealer from 74-80) I was going to try and get it out of the mothballs for Earl Grey and BJ but got crazy busy with work and just ran out of time. Shooting for 50th Eagle River 2012 now! lol
I used to love racing those SSTs as they were genuine "slepeers" and could routinely stay right with the GPXs, TJets, Zs and TX free-airs which generally battled it in out those classes in the local NWSA back in the day. (and even took down a few 1st place cheques) The damn Rupp and Sno-Twister F/A were another story though, fortunately there were only a few around here and many went mod-stock. Our 340 SST F/A really only needs a major cleanup and perhaps a re-ring (it's been sitting tarped up for 25 years now), but I still have some new Wisecos that I could put in. Also more than a little bit worried about the 36 year old track! lol
But if your SST F/C is stamped as a 75 chassis you MIGHT be able to sneak it into Super Stock with a F/A I suppose.I would go 440 if I were you. I do know a guy in SK (who'll be at Earl Grey) that has some 440 F/A engines and even GYT cylinders for reasonable $$. The piston is no problem as you can modify it to GYT dimensions easily enough. If you want I'll PM you his contact info.
If you ever get to stage 2 with the SST project I can help you with some neccssary rear skid mods to drop it down. Maybe this summer if I decide to do a new no-slip track drive (to run the Camoplast) we could team up. Blake Read is thinking of doing this too with his SST as right now he has an oddball involute drive and paddle track in it.

Hope we finally get to meet at either Earl Grey or BJ 50th. First rounds on me!
WopOnTour

Sounds great, the second round will be on me then for sure!
Nicks sled is looking great, I can't imagine what he's got into it $$$, maybe some day but not right now for me.
That would be really cool if you get your 340 f/a SST out of the barn someday and get it ready to go, would be cool to team up for sure, and Blake too once he gets his SST together.

I would appreciate your contact info for the fella with the 440 f/a's in saskatchewan. As soon as my F-500 sled is finished I plan on starting on my SST, which I will probably finish over the summer. I like to take my time and do everything right. I will definetly get as much tech knowledge and info from you on these sleds and motors from you as I can.

Looking forward to that PM

Greg

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Nicks sled is looking great, I can't imagine what he's got into it $$$, maybe some day but not right now for me.
Hahaha actually that's 100% AB oil patch $$$ raht there.
(Nick's just doing the work for a pittance in order to get his butt in the seat!)
He's also going to run our twin-tracker in the Hillmerson 3-race series as we just found a late-model Champ 440 for it (dont want to risk melting down the big $$$$ Dale Loritz 340 it came with)
PM sent
WOT

Last edited:

think_07

Reaction score
Hahaha actually that's 100% AB oil patch $$$ raht there.
(Nick's just doing the work for a pittance in order to get his butt in the seat!)
He's also going to run our twin-tracker in the Hillmerson 3-race series as we just found a late-model Champ 440 for it (dont want to risk melting down the big $$$$ Dale Loritz 340 it came with)
PM sent
WOT

AHHHH now it makes sense! lol
I need to find myself a sponser like you! lol!

Thanks for the PM

Greg

Top Bottom