Vintage Mountain Sledding, Racing, 1977-1980, 257 photos!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
So I tried to upload all these photos to my album here on S&M, kindof overloaded the system somehow. So I have uploaded them to a private link on a web album.

Here is the link:

Some of you have seen a small sampling of these photos on another thread. There is much more action: highmarking, stuckfests, avalanche's, lake racing, jumping, technical riding, beautiful scenery, and some showroom-fresh vintage iron.

I am at 610 pictures scanned, still have tons to go. The ones in the album are from 1980 and older, and are all the usable pictures I have from that time. Please ask for permission if you want to copy or use any of these photos. Enjoy!

Snow336.jpg

Last edited:

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those were awesome! I didn't realize people were using sled decks back in the 70's. Those panoramic pics you put together were great too. Thanks for sharing, brings back a lot of memories for us old timers. I was riding a 340 ET back then but really wanted a Blizzard. Loved that body style from when the RV first came out.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are awesome!Brings back alot of memories from being a kid and learning to ride on that old iron!!I would sooner look at those pics than watch chute climbing or cornice jumps!!It's amazing where they were climbing with those machines, we had a hard time getting around down here when we got a big dump of snow!!!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Those were awesome! I didn't realize people were using sled decks back in the 70's. Those panoramic pics you put together were great too. Thanks for sharing, brings back a lot of memories for us old timers. I was riding a 340 ET back then but really wanted a Blizzard. Loved that body style from when the RV first came out.

LOL, yah they were pretty modern for their time, pushed those sleds as hard as they would go too! The panoramic's were actually put together by my Dad, he spent quite a bit of time matching them up. I had thought of removing them from the album page, individually scanning/restoring/exposure matching/color correcting and then photomerging them, but then I realized that would take away from their look. They are pictures of a whole different time than today, they should look it too. They were running in some pretty awesome country back in the day. My personal favourite still is the Super-Sonic. All that orange is just too cool. FYI, Dad still wears an orange helment, LOL!

justpinit

Reaction score
Thanks for all the old pics!! I think you motivated me enough with your collection to finally fire up the scanner and post some of my old school sled pics!

My Mom took a lot of pics in the 60's, 70's and '80's when we were riding in the Graystokes in Kelowna, and we always did a couple trips a year out to the Cranbrook area where my Uncle had a cabin on the Bull River.

My Dad is 76 yrs old now, hasn't ridden in years. He just can't believe how cool today's modern sleds are! He also thinks it's funny when we whine about rough trails.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the old pics!! I think you motivated me enough with your collection to finally fire up the scanner and post some of my old school sled pics!

My Mom took a lot of pics in the 60's, 70's and '80's when we were riding in the Graystokes in Kelowna, and we always did a couple trips a year out to the Cranbrook area where my Uncle had a cabin on the Bull River.

My Dad is 76 yrs old now, hasn't ridden in years. He just can't believe how cool today's modern sleds are! He also thinks it's funny when we whine about rough trails.

Please do!!!

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By far a couple of the best threads I've ever seen on S&M!!!Must be a record for no brand bashing!!!

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should have your dad put the weights and especially the prices of the sleds back then!If my old man was living yet and he saw what I have been paying for sleds he would kick me square in the azz!!!LOL!!!!:D

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I had a Super Sonic and an Ultrasonic back in the day. I have been a huge Moto Ski guy forever. When I raced in the old NWSA I started with a 77 Sonic 340FA and it was fast. Even had the number 72 as it was my favourite drivers, Robert Levac. Thanks for the great memories!!!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Should have your dad put the weights and especially the prices of the sleds back then!If my old man was living yet and he saw what I have been paying for sleds he would kick me square in the azz!!!LOL!!!!:D

LOL, definitely were in a different league. But boy did they spend money to keep those things running!

My brother-in-law had a Sonic 340FA that I was able to ride a bit in my late teens, for fun. Fast for what it was, crazy light. I remember pulling the trigger on my Dad's 440 mod Super Sonic when I was about 6 years old. I really had a hard time just to hang on! It scared the liver out of me and made me grin ear-to-ear at the same time. Dad was a courageous man for letting his kid rip around on his baby.

Fun memories alright!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Actually I had a Super Sonic and an Ultrasonic back in the day. I have been a huge Moto Ski guy forever. When I raced in the old NWSA I started with a 77 Sonic 340FA and it was fast. Even had the number 72 as it was my favourite drivers, Robert Levac. Thanks for the great memories!!!

I still love the orange myself! Buddy of mine has an original Moto-Ski Banner (a big one!) from the old shop hanging in his garage.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started on a 1974 Moto Ski Chimo. Then to a 77 Nuvik 340. On to a 80 Mirage Special and an 80 Utrasonic. Went racing in 82 with the 77 Sonic. Lots of good times on all those sleds.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing! Brings back memories of my childhood during the 70's..my Dad had a 1979 TNT 340, and I had a 1975 Jag 3000. Those were the days I tell ya......:)

WopOnTour

Reaction score
Hey Joel
Thanks for the flashback!
I forget what lake those oval pics are from but they sure look familiar and I can see our blue/silver van in the infield!
(and of course the sleds are local NWSA sleds) Orest Turgeon, Dennis Clarke, Robert Braught on the Yammi SSRs, Don and Ken Benson on the 79 Ski-Doo Super Stocks, Dale Gunderson and Don Ayers on the Moto-Ski S/Ms, Brian Kublik on the RXL, you can even make out Ernie Lutz in the "Ugly Duck" in one of the photos. (that thing could never get out of the hole... )
Pretty Cool
WOT

Last edited:
Top Bottom