Vibration at 6500 rpm

Dulley

Reaction score
I have a 2014 M8000 ltd, has a noticeable vibration at about 6500 rpm on the clutch side. Only has 200 k on it. You can feel it through the tunnel by your left foot. Checked track alignmet and is bangon, no ice build up in the tunnel. Any suggestions, hope it's not a bearing in the secondary!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull your secondary and inspect the backside - specifically the bushing area for cracks. Has it been off? I saw a secondary that was cracked as the tech dropped it when installing. Other things to check are the jackshaft bearings (you'll see slight discoloration around the seal and perhaps a powder-like substance if the bearing is pooched - the grease basically runs out of it due to heat and belt dust will be stuck to it). Is the vibration dependent on 6500 RPM only, or does it increase / decrease with ground speed? If at 6500 and only 6500 RPM, perhaps it is a primary clutch balance issue, wheras a bearing would change based on load...
If it only has 200km on it, it should be a warrantable item - maybe call your dealer?

Dulley

Reaction score
I pulled the secondary, all looks good, however the belt was running in the wrong direction, put the belt on the right way and now seems to be good, no real noticeable vibration!! This was the first time I rode since I got it back from the dealer for its first service???

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good dealer tech... Shouldn't reverse direction of a belt once broken in, and could have been the cause of your vibration... do you have much run time on the belt since it was reversed? (Asking cause if you did, you may experience premature belt failure down the road).

Dulley

Reaction score
Not much run, only 10k, I will keep an eye on it, at 200.00 bucks a belt I think I will let the dealer know what the tech did. Planning on putting some miles on it today. Thanks for the info oneoldfart.

Top Bottom