Very expensive stuck shifter = CLUTCH

CAN-DOO

Grampa Member
Reaction score
Hello all, well I've been to the dealer and showed them my "stuck shifter" problem and pointed out my "grooved" drive belt. Turns out I get to pay for a new clutch. Not the inside drive assembly or the outside drive assembly but the whole thing because of grooves that I wore in the faces of each. Now I am alternately going through phases of pissed because it happened all together and irate that its not under warranty and a whole lot of guilty because it didnt happen overnight or through any one particular mud hole. Fact is fact though and Im getting a new clutch because my old one is seized damn near solid due to water exposure. (maybe I shoulnt have shown the mechanic the vidio footage of the last mud bog submersion?)The question remains what am I going to do about it next time. Stop my water and mud runs? not likely and Im sure feeling foolish would be the last of my worries if I had to drag my kodiak along to tackle the big holes. That is why I bought the newest, the biggest and the best....CAN-AM....BAH! "But only in the water"! as a fellow water rat has repeated to me. "They are just new and they will get the bugs out" he reminds me as I go on my little tangents. So for now I have decided the best move is to snorkel it. It's gotta be done, I didnt choose a quad that I had to skirt mud holes with I bought one that I could go throught them and made sure it came with the winch to pull me out if I get good and damn stuck trying. I am more than pleased with my 800 Outlander everywhere else but water and I intend to modify it to suit my needs. I will attempt to provide you with the hands off, have never done it before snorkel walk through. You know...for dummies. Yeah thats me, didnt drain my water and went into lots of it. Its a costly mistake try no to repeat it.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ouch!!

I'd have more than a :eek: red face I would have a :mad: face to go with that. I guess until you get that snorkled you'll have to drag along the Kodiak on the rear rack to go in the water and play:D

Ron

Attachments

• 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 54

doo800

Reaction score
I'm a bit lost here are talking about snorkeling the cover over the clutch??? I have a 650xt can am(2006) I'm wandering if I should do the same.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard that the clutch cover on the 800's are to close to the exhaust, and have a tendency of warping there. if you feel along the top of the clutch cover , you will find that is not tight in some places. i know a few guys that have ran a bead of silicone along the top of the cover , and they say their quads work alot better in the water

rmk800

O2Bsane

Reaction score
Ahhh the ol leaking CVT cover. First off is the water getting from the rear of the cover where it bolts to the motor. Some o-rings they installed they being BRP, are not thick enuff. How to check. Pull the CVT cover off (and yes you have to pull the floor board off to get at the cover). NOw grab the trust garden hose and run water on the backside of the cover where the two shafts go through the cover. If water runs inside there is your leak. The fix is easy. Pull both clutchs off and the back cover and silicone the o-rings and bolt holes. If you need a step by step process pm me and i will give it to ya. Now warpage will also happen. the heat from the CVT and the muffler can warp the cover. If your cover is warped take it to your dealer there is a new and improved cover and it is covered by warrenty so dont pay for it. The CVT intake/exhaust is too low for my liking so I snorkeled mine, I can also help anyone out with that by pming me. Hope this helps. Oh yeah if your 800 is not running right I can also tell ya how to pull the codes and readem also.

Wow big post for my first LOL

SwampRat

Reaction score
$2500 Mud Run

Here is a youtube of Candoo's $2500 mud run, thats in repairs

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5WiaID_6ZA [/YOUTUBE]

O2Bsane

Reaction score
MMMMMM dont really know what to say after seeing that. I can see why your clutch was hooped and why they wouldn't cover it. The best part was when he was hitting the rev. limiter in reverse dont see that to often LMFAO!!!!!!

CAN-DOO

Grampa Member
Reaction score
Real lesson of the day

Hi all I have some more photos of the day that haven't made it here yet. As you can imagine when a dumbass decides to go for a dip in a mud hole he gathers a crowd. Well I am the dumbass and in the crowd were 2 little guys on the small mini quads. Once I got done showing the hole that I wasnt afraid and that I had my wallet open I went back to the truck to attempt to clean off. While I was stripping down one of the two little quad riders came back to his dads truck to tell him that his riding partner was "stuck". The guys I rode with went to help given that the Dad was walking. As it turns out the little guy figured where a dumbass on a Can am could go so could he. Here he had tackled the hole I had just gone through, picking his line from the side. Turns out the hole was so deep that once he got in it he just floated and when he bailed off he went up to his armpits. The quad is floating in the pic and I am guessin that he remembers the lesson that day better than I do. My big question is what was the version Mom got when they got home because Dad sure sounded worried about that.

Attachments

• Avery Mud.jpg
    Avery Mud.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Mud_quad 184 (81).jpg
    Mud_quad 184 (81).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 261

CAN-DOO

Grampa Member
Reaction score
Whats Mom Gonna Say?

A mud rider in the making

Attachments

• Mud_quad 184 (82).jpg
    Mud_quad 184 (82).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 256

poppajon

Reaction score
Awsome!!! The younger generation will always need a proficient role model, keep up the good work!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I don't see how a couple trips through that mud hole could screw up the clutch I have had mine through lots mud holes thats where worse than that one. Usually the 1st tell tale sign the clutch has moisture in it is that the belt will start slipping right away I never heard the belt slipping so I don't think any moisture got in from that trip through the mud hole. Any large hills climbing over large objects and mud holes try to use low gear save the belt a clutches and it keeps the rpm in the big numbers so you don't power out

BTW nice vid wish I could get some good vid I always seem to get better pics than vids
Here is a pic me me backing out of a mud hole after the water came up and over the rack gettin me nards wet with a lift kit and 26" mudlites.....oh and pulled the drain plug no water in the clutch

P1010528.jpg

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be tempted to phone the can-am service department and complain.. As when i worked for a skidoo dealership there were several times that they told us when we talked to brp that it wasn't covered by warranty, then when the customer phoned and complained to them we would end up getting a phone call telling us that it is covered by warranty.. So i'd look at giving that a try.. as that sucks how you have to pay when they are having a problem with belt covers warping and then that in itself could allow water in.. But for it to wear grooves into the clutch like man that'd have had to be slipping for a while and hard to..

Top Bottom