Vehicle selling/trading questions

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The timing chain on it is going to need to be replaced on it soonish. It just rattles on cold starts for a second or so. Fully repaired the truck is probably worth 22k or so. The repairs through the dealer (depending on what all you replace once the motor is open) ranges from about $2400 to 4500 with them doing it all. Parts are $470 to $2500 if someone was doing it as their own project. I was asking 18k or offers and people seem to think that's crazy?
Basically have resorted to trying to find something to trade it in on before winter. I may see what's around here for auctions and look into that too.

Sounds like you may have a 5.4...

sethier

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whenever you Trade-in always deal on the vehicle first that you were looking at. Set that price and then drop the ....Oh by the way I’m trading in. Then you’ll really know what you’re getting in value As they can’t hide the trade in the deal

From my experience with a few dealers they straight up ask you if you’re trading in before you look at any numbers

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my experience with a few dealers they straight up ask you if you’re trading in before you look at any numbers

Just say you’re selling privately, or keeping it, then at the end once the price has been set ask what they’d give you for it.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The timing chain on it is going to need to be replaced on it soonish. It just rattles on cold starts for a second or so. Fully repaired the truck is probably worth 22k or so. The repairs through the dealer (depending on what all you replace once the motor is open) ranges from about $2400 to 4500 with them doing it all. Parts are $470 to $2500 if someone was doing it as their own project. I was asking 18k or offers and people seem to think that's crazy?
Basically have resorted to trying to find something to trade it in on before winter. I may see what's around here for auctions and look into that too.

Trading it in or auction is the way to go. Neither will have much if any change on the price whereas privately i'd think you'd need to be about $6k under market to sell it. But also need to consider where you're going to buy your next vehicle. If it's at a dealer trading it in might be the best as you will save 5% GST on the trade in amount towards other vehicle.

I was blown away how much things have changed at auctions. 99% of people never hear the vehicles cold start, which is insane. They just quickly look at them before they go up. It's pretty much private people who don't know better, dealers who will through back through the odd lemon, and shady dealers who don't care about much other then how it looks.

Last edited:

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If not already throw some 5w-30 oil in it,.. are you using a filter with anti drainback valve?

Should have 5w30 in it as that's is what's speced in the manual. For the filter I'm not sure, it goes to the Mobil 1 Express lube that is attached to the Ford dealership here. I'd have to take a look at the filter on the truck to see what it is. Was assuming it was a motorcraft but could be something without the valve?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should have 5w30 in it as that's is what's speced in the manual. For the filter I'm not sure, it goes to the Mobil 1 Express lube that is attached to the Ford dealership here. I'd have to take a look at the filter on the truck to see what it is. Was assuming it was a motorcraft but could be something without the valve?

Regardless those engines arent the greatest, dumbest timing chain idea and integral waterpump if you ask me

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An update. Ended up getting it fixed at the ford dealer just north of me. Was really helpful and sent pics of worn out parts as they were going on replaced what they found wrong. Ended up being $3800 including a new intercooler as mine was punctured.
Came with a 2 year warranty on parts and labour. Still on the fence about selling or trading but seems like no half tons around here are selling unless they're marked way below value.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An update. Ended up getting it fixed at the ford dealer just north of me. Was really helpful and sent pics of worn out parts as they were going on replaced what they found wrong. Ended up being $3800 including a new intercooler as mine was punctured.
Came with a 2 year warranty on parts and labour. Still on the fence about selling or trading but seems like no half tons around here are selling unless they're marked way below value.

So was it bottom end ?

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have traded down twice and was ok with the deal both times. Good thing about a dealer you can always walk away. Let them make you an offer and take it from there

Top Bottom