Vehicle Hours vs Miles

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all...Happy Easter!

We've been looking for another vehicle for a few months now. We found one that checks all the boxes but the runtime and idle hours are abover average high.

Vehicle has about 40k
Shows 1302 hours of runtime
582 hours of idle time
Gas engine
Edmonton vehicle

First thought is that this was a site vehicle somewhere as the mileage and run time averages about 30 km/hr. It appears to be in great shape and doesn't appear to be neglected. It still has warranty on it but I would question whether there are hour limitations on the warranty.
Would you touch this or be leery of it? I'm on the fence. At first I thought that's high and about the average equivalent of 75k. Can find little info on the net to substantiate anything though.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say thats a little higher for sure, mine seem to average 60km/hr but I do live rural and park in a heated garage. All things that make a difference.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should be good to go, I have let my gas powered pick-up idle a lot in the winter 98 4.6 ford still going

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say thats a little higher for sure, mine seem to average 60km/hr but I do live rural and park in a heated garage. All things that make a difference.

I'm the same..my 14 Ram 2500 CTD has 188k and has 2970 hrs runtime and 536 hrs idle. I live acerage and do about 70km per day roundtrip to work on highway. I average about 63kmh on that

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
As long its not a white F350, or vehicles that were used for photo radar. Lots of idleing. I wonder if this would cause isses as they sit there all day idiling every day, 7 days a week with hazards on and a monkey in he back seat with a video cameara.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long its not a white F350, or vehicles that were used for photo radar. Lots of idleing. I wonder if this would cause isses as they sit there all day idiling every day, 7 days a week with hazards on and a monkey in he back seat with a video cameara.

Must be an Alberta thing - our enforcement isn't that sneaky in this province.

Looking at a large SUV so imagine this would have been used for crew transport

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Must be an Alberta thing - our enforcement isn't that sneaky in this province.

Looking at a large SUV so imagine this would have been used for crew transport

There not as sneaky now in Alberta, they have decals all over with a tall flag, most of them are decaled yellow. If you cant see these your blind or busy looking at your cell phone.

photoradar4.jpg

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
different components expand at different rates in the engine, a engine idling lots never gets to operating temp especially in the winter, so if cold outside and idling long periods will cause wear unless rpm is bumped up some to help in getting upto operating temp

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer motors and the low viscosity oils are hard on them idling at extended periods of time . IMO
The one your looking at isn’t high in my option for hours but is more then it should be for total average kms.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it’s harder on the transmission to idle lots. They don’t pump fluid when in park only if in neutral. I would ask if it’s idled in park or neutral

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There not as sneaky now in Alberta, they have decals all over with a tall flag, most of them are decaled yellow. If you cant see these your blind or busy looking at your cell phone.

Unless they are sitting on a bridge catching traffic below, then the rare time you can miss them.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry with those hours at all, it would be different if it was thousands but that is still new.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the potash mine I worked at we had some gas Chevys maybe like 2013s. The one had over 13000 engine hours and 27000km. The other one had 8000 hours and under 20000km. They would idle until they run outa gas on the weekends. Lots of times the ice piles under the exhaust pipe would touch the pipe.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to see are you deleted?

Deleted since 91000km. Had a power steering hose leak and the rad leak but that was under the 60000 warranty. Shift sensor went about 100000 ago. 40 bux and changed it myself. Other then that it’s never broke down of been in the shop besides maintenance

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the potash mine I worked at we had some gas Chevys maybe like 2013s. The one had over 13000 engine hours and 27000km. The other one had 8000 hours and under 20000km. They would idle until they run outa gas on the weekends. Lots of times the ice piles under the exhaust pipe would touch the pipe.

While Potash is bad for corrosion, you should see how things go to die in the Uranium mines up North. Once they are onsite they are very difficult to get a clean radiation scan to go back offsite. When I was knsite we had a 97 F250 with a 5.4 that to the rug wouldn't break 40kmh. Mechanics said it had a clean bill of health so keep driving it. No one knew how many miles were on it but kept track of it by tires. At the time I was up there we were on set 17.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idle hours are no big deal.its worse to pull huge loads around

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it’s harder on the transmission to idle lots. They don’t pump fluid when in park only if in neutral. I would ask if it’s idled in park or neutral
That's a dodge thing

Most ford's and g. Ms do pump fluid in park

Any trans you check fluid level in park is flowing in park

Top Bottom