valmont rcmp doing trailer inspection

bombider bill

Reaction score
left valmount last night after 3 days of good riding ,valmount rcmp wrecked the weekend when they inpounded our trailer because there was no trailer brakes.going back next weekend to get the sleds. 300.00 tow bill to haul it 19 kilometers 900.00 in tickets.tow truck driver said they are giving sledders hard time.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big of a trialer was it? What size trailer does require brakes? We are heading down on Wed.
What other things are they looking for? Tiedowns?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Here's the BC law on brakes. If the trailer weighs over 2800kg, then it actually falls under the commercial vehicle act in BC and yes, the RCMP are asked to check and enforce commercial trailers.

Brakes are required if the trailer exceeds 1400 kg, or more than 50% of the licensed vehicle weight of the towing unit. When brakes are required, they must be on all axles and there must be an operational breakaway on the trailer in case the towing unit and trailer separate while being towed. These brakes, when applied, must be adequate to maintain control of the trailer, must not affect the direction of travel of the trailer and, where the weight of the trailer exceeds 2800 kg, must be capable of being applied by the driver of the motor vehicle towing the trailer from his or her normal seated position.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Sorry to hear of your misfortune..but I am glad they are checking just like having semi's or dump trucks with useless brakes...not good for anyone on our roads. Do the maintenance for yourself and others...

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't blame the RCMP for doing their job.

Also, in B.C, any trailer over 2000lbs requires trailer brakes.

Stuff like this forces others to look into it and fix issues. Rules are there for a reason.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they get a few of the thieves with these checks, it's a good thing they are checking the trailers out.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they get a few of the thieves with these checks, it's a good thing they are checking the trailers out.

Good point and this may help curb theft....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend had the same issue as you. same amount of tickets and towing except you could see town from where he was. yes rules are rules but he was hauling 2 sleds ( dont know what the trailer weighed but im damn sure a f350 is capable of stopping a load that size. he basically said if the trailer has brakes they have to work. loaded or not.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
and he is right about that

u cant really be mad at the cops about those kinda checks

i think good theyre doing it

better safe than sorry that ure brakes are working

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless your hauling an atomic bomb and your brakes are glowing red a simple get that fixed for next time would suffice. from what ive read most 1 ton trucks can safely brake 9000lbs under their own brakes someone correct me if thats wrong

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
I was just wondering as I have the F350 but only a small 2 place 8X10 trailer. It doenst have brakes & I was hoping I didnt need to get a set. But a larger 4 place I could see or double axle trailers. No differnt then my 28' TT.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
you will not need them for a single or 2 place open deck trailer...

I am sure a f350 could stop the a bigger trailer but if it became separated then it surly would become an atomic bomb to the person it hit...yikes! Long shot yes but it has happened...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
you will not need them for a single or 2 place open deck trailer...

I am sure a f350 could stop the a bigger trailer but if it became separated then it surly would become an atomic bomb to the person it hit...yikes! Long shot yes but it has happened...

I LOST A SECOND COUSIN, BECAUSE SOMEONES 8X10 TRAILER DISCONNECTED AND THE TRAILER(&LAWNTRACTOR) WENT ACROSS THE MERIDIAN AND HIT HIS CAR...........:mad::( R.I.P. DAVID

nosmoke

Reaction score
buddy of mine got over 200 in fines because the breakaway was not working on his trailer.the brakes were working but only under truck power.the cop was going to impound the trailer. that was in alberta so its not just in b.c. boys .

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason the Rc's and dot's are getting so tough is that 90% of the trailers they stop dont have working brakes. I know all to well how tough it is to keep those shitty electric brakes working, but its time everybody Gets a little more dilegent on this.I think some of the large fines and impounds are occuring out of frustration of dealing with this issue constantly.
Yes these guys could spend their time better stopping thieves or whatever. But if you attend one fatal accident,like they do all the time, that mite,just mite have been adverted, all of a sudden safety takes a lot more importance than some rich jerk from alberta getting his truck and toys ripped off.
I have personally stood on the side of the road and watched three young people die, When you watch the bodybags being zipped closed, it will change how you feel forever

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In BC the maximum weight of trailer and load is 3080 lbs before you require brakes. In Alberta the maximum weight of trailer and load is 2000 lbs. Saskatchewan is 3000 lbs so as you can see it varies by province and state.

See attached. All provinces and states are listed below the map.

Trailer Brake Requirements For Towed Vehicles

Top Bottom