Vacation Ideas (with kids)...

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yo guys

Looking for ideas on a winter holiday. I'm sort of thinking all inclusive. Been about 6 years since I have been to one, and with kids, think it might be a lot easier than our typical vacation as of late. Usually we rent a condo somewhere, car, and basically do our own thing, meals etc.

We are stumped on where to go. We have done Hawaii 3 times now, Mexico twice, the Caribbean once...California last April.

Im a little hesitant on Mexico. The violence and drug stuff make me uncomfortable to go with kids. I know a lot of people go every year but still.

Was as looking at 'Beaches' in Turks but good god, it's a fair but of dough (around 9k for 9 nights sort of thing from Vancouver).

Also throwing Australia around still. Could do 3 weeks there for the price of 7-10 days at any decent all inclusive.

where do you guys go with your kids? Might are both little (both under 4).

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend went to Atlantis in the Bahamas with his kids and had a great vacation, huge water park etc..., also Nasseau it the main town and it is very safe there, I have been there before and never once felt unsafe.

Atlantis Paradise Island Resort | Caribbean Bahamas Vacations

Hey thanks. We went two years back and it was alright. We rented a condo in Nassau though. Went to paradise island and it was not my thing. The whole thing was pretty synthetic. But you're right the resort is huge and that water park is pretty crazy.

You ever been down Mackie Street in Nassau ? I did, bad idea. It's what rappers rap about.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first time I went to Mexico I was about 10 and we went to a Kids Club Med. That was a blast.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks. We went two years back and it was alright. We rented a condo in Nassau though. Went to paradise island and it was not my thing. The whole thing was pretty synthetic. But you're right the resort is huge and that water park is pretty crazy.

You ever been down Mackie Street in Nassau ? I did, bad idea. It's what rappers rap about.

no never went there lol, but my wife and I wandered all over the place and had fun, we never went over to paradise island, we stayed at Sandals and used its private island....now Jamaica is friggin scary lol

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We tossed the idea around of a disney cruise. Pretty affordable and lots of fun for both kids and adults. We ended up going to Yellowknife instead!!

You said Winter Holiday!!! ;)

Last edited:

Burns

Reaction score
We are doing beaches in Turks in feb for 10 nights. Super spendy but with 3kids 7-2 there was nothing that compares for entertaining the kids. We likely won't do it again but the wife and I want to be able to have a getaway as well so the services were worth it for us.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are going to Paradise Village in PV,Mx with our kids and my friend and his family in Dec... Looks like a fun place... In Mx tho...

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ura2e6aj.jpg
pretty good deal

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no never went there lol, but my wife and I wandered all over the place and had fun, we never went over to paradise island, we stayed at Sandals and used its private island....now Jamaica is friggin scary lol

Just curious what scared you in Jamaica? We have been to the country a few times and met wonderful people everywhere we went. They seem to love Canadians. I am sure there are places that you would not want to go, but there are places here that you could say the same thing. I believe that they like Canadians because for the most part we are polite, curtious and show other people respect.

parts

Reaction score
We tossed the idea around of a disney cruise. Pretty affordable and lots of fun for both kids and adults. We ended up going to Yellowknife instead!!

We did the Disney cruise thing it was pretty good kept the kids busy, we did Alaska, but are looking at the Caribbean next, Disney is the only way to cruise with kids, they have stuff for all ages 2 to teenagers.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what scared you in Jamaica? We have been to the country a few times and met wonderful people everywhere we went. They seem to love Canadians. I am sure there are places that you would not want to go, but there are places here that you could say the same thing. I believe that they like Canadians because for the most part we are polite, curtious and show other people respect.

went into town and we felt like we were going to be robbed, and the constant begging for money was worse than mexico....the resort staff was great and friendly...the tours were good....I didn't like the pedlers on the beach bugging us, and they don't get it, you tell one no and another one would come bug you

aaron_m

Reaction score
Yo guys

We are stumped on where to go. We have done Hawaii 3 times now, Mexico twice, the Caribbean once...California last April.

QUOTE]

which island in Hawaii? we have been going to the Big island, staying in kona. still small town island for most part and can drive to anything. kids love it

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've some Maui twice and Kauai once. Perhaps do the big island next year.

I've looked and looked at the all inclusive sand just haven't found that I want to spend 7-9k for a week to ten days.

Thinking austrailia might be the more interesting and worth while trip for a few thousand more and for 3 weeks.

First world problem I know.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went into town and we felt like we were going to be robbed, and the constant begging for money was worse than mexico....the resort staff was great and friendly...the tours were good....I didn't like the pedlers on the beach bugging us, and they don't get it, you tell one no and another one would come bug you

Where in the country did you visit? I have heard that some places in Jamaica are worse for the locals harrassing the tourists. The worst toursit areas in the Carribean (not just Jamaica) are places where huge cruise ships can dock. The locals know when these ships arrive and literally swarm these areas looking to sell their wares or services. We make a point of not visiting these areas. We try to visit more out of the way places and feel we are better for it.

Most of the time locals were trying to sell us things or services like guiding, but not begging. We would just politly say "no thank you" if we were not interested and they would say "respect" to us, which ment they respected our answer. We never felt threatened or that we would be robbed at anytime.

We bought some "friendship braclets" that are made from dyed cotton in red, black, green and yellow. When you wear them you show the local people that you have helped support the community and less people will bother you. The importand thing while visiting ANY country is to be polite IMO.

We rented different villas as well as tried staying at an all inclusive resort. We liked the all inclusive resort but aggreed that if you never left the resort that you would hardly know you were in Jamaica as many resorts all over the world are similar. We felt that you were isolated from the country and did not experience the real beauty of the land and people. We had the most fun staying in our own private villas. It was a lot of fun looking for different places to eat and going on day trips to interesting places. After we got the hang of how to do things like the locals do we really enjoyed the local culture!

We were fortunate to go with some friends who have been there many times. They showed us how to shop, get around and mix with the local people. Getting to know some locals really helped make our holiday! Not just knowing their names, but to know things about them and meeting their families. After you get the hang of things lots of the locals we met thought we lived there (pre tanning helped lol).

Our most memorable time was during their celebration of their independance from the Common Wealth. There were people from all over the country gathered for concerts and parties. It was so cool to see so many happy people enjoying themselves in places where there is normally only tourists. We got to see many different Reggae bands during this week. After this week it was extremely quiet everywhere we went. We could have stayed almost anywhere we chose...and at rates less than off season rates even.

We can not wait to go back. I have many different things planned for our next adventure!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are going to Paradise Village in PV,Mx with our kids and my friend and his family in Dec... Looks like a fun place... In Mx tho...

Just be prepared to be bombarded with time share sales EVERY F$## place, in the airport, the minute you step out of baggage, they wave you over for a free shot of Tequlia and then wham time share, in the cab, at the hotel, on the beach, on the board walk - 75% of the shops..... they were relentless and saying no thanks is just an invitation to keep trying.....

Was just there in May 2014.....

We did meet a guy that owned a small shop close to the Now Amber Hotel, great guy fixed us up with a fishing boat and a bus for 45 people...(was there for my daughters wedding) his prices for tours and things were the best, he deals direct with the owners so no huge tour company fee's...

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just be prepared to be bombarded with time share sales EVERY F$## place, in the airport, the minute you step out of baggage, they wave you over for a free shot of Tequlia and then wham time share, in the cab, at the hotel, on the beach, on the board walk - 75% of the shops..... they were relentless and saying no thanks is just an invitation to keep trying.....

Was just there in May 2014.....

We did meet a guy that owned a small shop close to the Now Amber Hotel, great guy fixed us up with a fishing boat and a bus for 45 people...(was there for my daughters wedding) his prices for tours and things were the best, he deals direct with the owners so no huge tour company fee's...

I have been through the timeshare spiels. Now I just say nothing and keep walking.

Top Bottom