Utv size and trails

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching from atv to utv and am looking for input from owners that have done the same. I'm concerned about trail width issues, if you've noticed that you're restricted to certain trails. I ride mostly in the burnt timber/sundre areas but will be expanding north and west.
Has anyone in Ab/BC been faced with the "weight restriction" issue from the fish cops??
Last, I'm thinking of a can am commander. How do they perform on reasonable hills and muddy/ rocky trails. I'm not into serious mudding, just average trail riding with friends at reasonable speeds, no jumping or high speed corner-sliding tear-assing around. I'm out for enjoyable riding that doesn't bust up me or the machine.

Any input is welcome guys, give me your thoughts and experiences. TIA!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a commander last spring, it seems to fit everywhere my quad went. the only places where there is a size issue are the detours where fallen timber has blocked the trail and you have to go around, have to be that much more careful with the cow as to not scrape against trees. I ride with every other make and model of UTV, the only ones that have trouble with tight trails are the wildcat and rzr 4 seater beacause of the wheelbase. a few places they have to reverse once or twice in the tight stuff.

as for performance, I have no complaints. it has the nicest and most comfortable interior of them all, handles great especially with power steering, has all kinds of power second only to the rzr xp in performance and suspension. it is more of a cross between a rhino and rzr, retains some utility function but can hold it's own against the rzr.

if I had to pick something I didn't like about it, would be that I can't seem to stop spending money on modifications....damn there's a lot of stuff you can do to them....:beer:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had quads and now 2 rzr's. 1st one was 800 48 inch width and the second the 900 xp. Will the large number of UTV's on the trails it has not been a problem to fit. Like teeroy said the odd spot makes it tough with fallen tree's.

We also found in spring a lot of us carry a powersaw and clean up the trails as we go.

Enjoy whatever you buy...

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have had our razor for over 2 years goes every place a quad will go some bridges can get tight as the older ones were made for sleds only

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife has run full size Rangers for the last 10 years...she's never had to turn around because she can't fit. She was having a bit of a problem once getting through the trees, and in my infinite wisdom, I told her to "run it like a rental". That cost me dearly, but she made it through. Over the last handful years, the SxS market has totally exploded....the quads are becoming the minority, so the trails are adapting. We sold her Ranger and my Renegade, and bought a pair of RZR's...tons of fun.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up here no problems with width on trails,. and if I do happen to be too wide,.. I just make the trailer wider for everyone else :)

Nozzleweed

Reaction score
Thats the first thing you hear with getting a UTV. I have yet to be outdone by a quad with my Rex. Its a none issue as far as I'm concerned. Commander is fine machine. I would say buy new or near new start off models were a little shaky. Tons of power. Brother rides a 2012 and really likes it.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are any weight or trail restrictions on side by side except for right around Calgary or at least I have not seen any from Caroline to hinton areas that I have rode

Top Bottom