unbelievable

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is the story.......
my sister in law's cousin found 2 orphaned baby bears yesterday, tried to do the right thing by taking them to the wildlife/rehabilitation zoo in Kamloops.Was told they would try to do best by them..then, her cousin heard of the bear rescue society in Smithers that said they would take them and pay all costs....so she called the zoo to tell them, and they informed them they had already put them down! Apparently it was a decision made by the city....Shame on them!!! Cant believe this $$it!

This happens on a today of International Bear Day. I guess Global News is on its way to interview them.

Here is a picture:

419463_10150697067710992_750975991_11109677_2101462891_n.jpg

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are these the ones that was found outside of PG?

If so, my niece's husband works with the guy that found them and apparently the mother bear went back and couldn't find her cubs

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear, but one question where the heck did you find 2 orphaned bears at this time of year, they dont look any older then a week in that picture.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are these the ones that was found outside of PG?

If so, my niece's husband works with the guy that found them and apparently the mother bear went back and couldn't find her cubs

to be honest I was under the understanding it was from the Kamloops area but I could be wrong. I also wondered what happened to mother bear. If they took them without knowing the whereabouts of momma then a big no no. So, in this case there would be two wrongs at the expense of these two cubs. Sad!

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad indeed,more info on the particulars of the events that took place would be good.
You would have to have real big ballz to pick up bear cubs without being in a very wide open
space.The cubs mother isnt someone to take lightly.
More info would be interesting

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bears are born in den jan-feb usually. They might of wandered out of the den if it wasnt covered in snow
Yeah i know, but doesnt BC have a chitload of snow around in that area? Very rare to see cubs wondering around this time of year, especially with Mama not around, id be staring out of some bino's for quite some time before i would have attempted to engage the lil fellers.

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the kamloops wildlife center would do that!! That angers
me so much to hear about it.

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone took momma bear's gall bladder!Kinda odd to 'find' two baby cubs barely a month old out wandering!How do they get away from the sow and out of the den 'unassisted'!!!!

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are some small cubs and about the biggest size i'd like to play with........had a bear encounter once in Jasper between momma and cub....scary shat.

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like the cubs eyes are still shut ! (. Interesting Information – black bears are not born blind – when the baby black bears are born, their eyelids are still closed right until they reach 40 days – this is the reason why cubs are known to be blind when they are born, which is entirely false. The black bear prefers fresh meat to rotten meat but it will eat old meat if fresh meat isn’t available. If a black bear finds an animal that has been dead for a good period of time, it will eat only the fresh parts. Bears are known for their climbing abilities despite their appearance and size. ) Found this info on the net. Those cubs dont look no 40 days old !!!! I think the cousin made a BIG MISTAKE by moveing them away from their location !! More info would help ,where there any sow tracks around !!!

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year in early March one of the guys in our group spotted a small cub wandering around on the snow, this is not uncommon for the cubs to wake up and come out before momma does, they will go back to her if left alone. Chances are she was in the vicinity, just not ready to come outside yet.Too bad about the cubs though, the best of intentions I'm sure. The only way to be sure any animal is an orphan is if you see the dead mother, at that age they won't stray too far from her.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is the story as reported by Global News. I dont know the cousins' of my sister in law so going off her info / interview with the news.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I wouldn't go close to them, and I wouldn't feel sorry for ANYONE who went near cubs and the mamma took care of them. Very sad to see them get put down. In my opinion whoever moved them is in the very wrong, unless they observed the cubs over a decent amount of time to ensure the mother wasn't coming back. I mean if you go up the them and move them 5 minutes later you have no idea if the mother is coming back or not. I know nothing about bears but i'd think it should be atleast a day before you'd think of getting involved.

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I also wouldn't have moved the bears. I would have left them for the mom to come back. But also the government is in the wrong. The biologist who gave the go ahead to put them down is in the wrong. Who cares if the bears imprint on humans they will just have to stay in a shelter for the remainder of their lives at least they would still be alive.

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is sad for sure what happened but they have so many black bears running around they probaly figured they didn't need more...you can buy two hunting tags for black bears around here i believe...may be the reasoning for this...???

Top Bottom