Turbo'd nytro loading boost somewhere...Any ideas??

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like the thread says I have a 2008 nytro with the MCX 240 kit on it and was riding and all was good until the afternoon on the last day on the trip. Started only getting 9 pounds of boost out of it. It's set for 13 pounds and was at 13 all weekend. Im just looking for ideas, I've check hoses but not the exhaust gasgets yet. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your waste gate? make sure its not hanging up. also look at the exhaust tube from the motor. ive seen them crack.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like I should have stayed until the last day. It would have been a more level playing field for me.Did Nytro mtx get his sled to run better?

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure the riding conditions, you probably already know the intake can ice off on the inside and restrict intake, and is not noticable till it pulled off and had a visual inside or get shop time to melt. The waste gate controller can fail as well and not control boost for elevation but you should have gained boost down the trail. Or as mentioned the headers are famous for cracking and having the brackets pull loose. If your running a boost it controller and it is out in the elements they freeze as well if you havent had it in doors since

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your waste gate? make sure its not hanging up. also look at the exhaust tube from the motor. ive seen them crack.
How can I check the wastegate? Just visually? I did notice it wasn't going off as it was the first 3 days.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like I should have stayed until the last day. It would have been a more level playing field for me.Did Nytro mtx get his sled to run better?
Hahaha yeah it would of been more even. Umm yeah we found 2 fuel leaks on his sled so fixed those and then tuned the settings and it ran way better.

turbocat

Reaction score
I'm having kinda the same problem. Seems to make boost at lower elevations but as soon as I get higher up it seems to loose it all. Down to 2lbs runs like crap.as I go down the trail it gets better again. Any info would b great

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having kinda the same problem. Seems to make boost at lower elevations but as soon as I get higher up it seems to loose it all. Down to 2lbs runs like crap.as I go down the trail it gets better again. Any info would b great

Sounds like your wastegate is stuck open.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
not sure the riding conditions, you probably already know the intake can ice off on the inside and restrict intake, and is not noticable till it pulled off and had a visual inside or get shop time to melt. The waste gate controller can fail as well and not control boost for elevation but you should have gained boost down the trail. Or as mentioned the headers are famous for cracking and having the brackets pull loose. If your running a boost it controller and it is out in the elements they freeze as well if you havent had it in doors since
How do you figure the fuel controller freezes up? Never heard of such a thing.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha yeah it would of been more even. Umm yeah we found 2 fuel leaks on his sled so fixed those and then tuned the settings and it ran way better.
Thats good to hear that he found the leaks. Hope you find the problem with your sled soon.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Before anyone gets thrown under the bus, you should ask the owner of the sled who was the last one to work on those fuel lines. It wasn't the shop that did the install. These sleds are a high maintenance piece of equipment and the owners should take the time to get familiar with the sleds and take the time to check evrything over between rides. It can save a lot of headaches.

nytro mtx

Reaction score
As far as the control boxes freezing, thats crazy, ive had 15 days on my sled so far this year and the box works just as good in -15 covered in snow as it does in the heated garage.
The fuel leaks im blaming myself. As with any sled, turboed or not, new or old they need to be maintained well or it will bite you in the ass at some point.
I did look over the sled after each weekend of riding but not while running. If so I would have noticed the leaks.
I guess its one of thoes, would have , should have , could have things.
Found it and fixed it lets move on.

As for the Boost it guys they are awesome, ive called countless times with questions and they helpd me in detail every time.
Even offered to look over my sled top to bottom to help with a possible exaust leak. Thats great service.

Thanks Neil for everything

Dwayne

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before anyone gets thrown under the bus, you should ask the owner of the sled who was the last one to work on those fuel lines. It wasn't the shop that did the install. These sleds are a high maintenance piece of equipment and the owners should take the time to get familiar with the sleds and take the time to check evrything over between rides. It can save a lot of headaches.
I was riding an older 800 REV and of coarse having a bit of a time catching up to them.When they stopped to tune I would catch up " Level Playing Field ". Sorry but never had any intention of throwing anyone under the bus.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any answer to Turbocats ? How do you check the wastegate? Can it be cleaned, adjusted or just replaced?
I just picked up a used turbo Nytro. 1st trip out found exhaust leak. Fixed that & just came back from my 2nd trip. Builds boost low elev but nothing up high.
Even down low it has boost but sure doesnt pull like I think a 200hp sled should. Not once did me or the guys I ride with even here the blow off valve let go either so really not sure what to be tearing into.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Best way to check for leaks is to pressure the system from the Turbo back......small amount of air. You'll be amazed at what leaks ;)
I've had this problem twice.......throttle bodies stay on at low elevation on the trail cause there is not much load on the system. Get to elevation and load the motor the throtle bodies will lift off the head so slightly and cause boost to drop. Get low down the trail and it works less so it seem to fix itself.......

So pressure test and you will find lots of answers.
Safe sleddin
RS

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you make an adaptor to go on the turbo? or how do you pressurize the sys?
Thanks for the help guys.

Top Bottom