Turbo yes or no

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
Have two of them. Will not go back to NA. Is there more maintenance? Yes! The more boost you run the more maintenance there is. You do it in the summer months when in storage. Same as any thing. Take care of it in the off season, it will take care of you in the riding season. Five winters of riding. One sled was pulled down to trailer once. Problem was self induced though. As has been stated before initial set up is the key, Proper prep of motor for boost going to be used. Install of regulator, transducer, and temp sensor in right locations is also a factor. Have seen a lot of turbos with hoods open yes. Most have been self installed or self made. Example charge boxes coming off due to bad making and mounting. Fuel controllers not having enough adjustability, owner not understanding how to tune them. Sensors in wrong spot, unable to send proper signals. Chat with people on snow and mud that have gone through the trail and error of getting stuff working properly. Another good one is Brent Linderman at Arctic Edge. He will tell what will work and what won't. Do the research, get the turbo, and you will have a perma grin just like the guys on the forum. Oh ya don't forget the duct tape for the handle bars.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i recall yesterday after leaving a certain custom snowmobile shop. a guy was almost in tears. i wish i would have left it stock he kept saying (sniffles)! he needed a hug...but ive been preaching that all along sooo i didnt.

when you get out as much as i do i get to see alot of the ups and downs of these turbos. on average 1% actually run better than a factory sled. if they run at all. i can count on one hand the amount of turbo sleds i have seen whip up a hill and not miss a beat. the rest pop fart and tumble back down because the rider wasnt expecting it to cut out like that!. down to the bottom to mess with the fuel box for a bit.

it is extremely embarrasing to watch a 30000 turbo sled try to touch a stock sleds mark and he just cant quite do it. maybe if he fawks with the fuel map a littlemore he will get it there!

i lean towards riding stock sleds and pushing them to there absolute maximum. i still havent done it. this is just one way of looking at it. the turbos that i have seen run looked and felt downright fun and scary. however they all shared a common issue. turbo lag. there is no escaping it and dont even attempt to tell me yours has none! because it does. those critical milliseconds of throttle response are what keep technical riders pushing forward.

and you cant use the excuse about chris burandt. he rides at 12000ft. ever ride a stock sled at that elevation? barf. you learn to ride a laggy turbo.

so in short. most turbos suck. a few run amazing. will you get yours to run like that? hope so otherwise it will be countless wasted trips and your good riding buddies will slowly start slipping away because no one wants to deal with that.

just keep in mind your taking an already VERY complex machine, adding another 200 parts to a seperate mechanical system, and then taking it into the backcountry.

most areas that you ride you can find factory parts for factory sleds. well goodluck when you need a boondocker box because it cooked, or an 02 sensor, fuel pump, and the list goes on. this is the biggest issue i see. to many guys going down for the weekend becaue of a simple part that just isnt common in the small sledding towns.

just my opinion and findings. and dont take this wrong. ive piloted a few turbos that were a blast.

my advice for anyone looking at modding there sled. add 3" track. pull rope and go. the fun factor is high and it never ends.

Last edited:

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i recall yesterday after leaving a certain custom snowmobile shop. a guy was almost in tears. i wish i would have left it stock he kept saying (sniffles)! he needed a hug...but ive been preaching that all along sooo i didnt.when you get out as much as i do i get to see alot of the ups and downs of these turbos. on average 1% actually run better than a factory sled. if they run at all. i can count on one hand the amount of turbo sleds i have seen whip up a hill and not miss a beat. the rest pop fart and tumble back down because the rider wasnt expecting it to cut out like that!. down to the bottom to mess with the fuel box for a bit. it is extremely embarrasing to watch a 30000 turbo sled try to touch a stock sleds mark and he just cant quite do it. maybe if he fawks with the fuel map a littlemore he will get it there! i lean towards riding stock sleds and pushing them to there absolute maximum. i still havent done it. this is just one way of looking at it. the turbos that i have seen run looked and felt downright fun and scary. however they all shared a common issue. turbo lag. there is no escaping it and dont even attempt to tell me yours has none! because it does. those critical milliseconds of throttle response are what keep technical riders pushing forward. and you cant use the excuse about chris burandt. he rides at 12000ft. ever ride a stock sled at that elevation? barf. you learn to ride a laggy turbo.so in short. most turbos suck. a few run amazing. will you get yours to run like that? hope so otherwise it will be countless wasted trips and your good riding buddies will slowly start slipping away because no one wants to deal with that.just keep in mind your taking an already VERY complex machine, adding another 200 parts to a seperate mechanical system, and then taking it into the backcountry.most areas that you ride you can find factory parts for factory sleds. well goodluck when you need a boondocker box because it cooked, or an 02 sensor, fuel pump, and the list goes on. this is the biggest issue i see. to many guys going down for the weekend becaue of a simple part that just isnt common in the small sledding towns.just my opinion and findings. and dont take this wrong. ive piloted a few turbos that were a blast.my advice for anyone looking at modding there sled. add 3" track. pull rope and go. the fun factor is high and it never ends.
Some good points some bad but your mistaken when you say 1 % run good they are finicky at times but most of the guys I ride with there's run great once dialed in and like Ron said there not for everyone so do your research and you should have fun I've rode a hand full of turbos built by a certain shop this year that ran great there were some hichups but you'll get that with new builds

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good points some bad but your mistaken when you say 1 % run good they are finicky at times but most of the guys I ride with there's run great once dialed in and like Ron said there not for everyone so do your research and you should have fun I've rode a hand full of turbos built by a certain shop this year that ran great there were some hichups but you'll get that with new builds

keep in mind im not including 4 strokes. pretty much EVERY 4 stroke turbo i have seen went like stink and sounded clean. and was moving!

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep in mind im not including 4 strokes. pretty much EVERY 4 stroke turbo i have seen went like stink and sounded clean. and was moving!
Ya my 4 stroke runs good but I was talking about the 2 turbo pros and a turbo dragon and a few Tm8's I rode recently

Last edited:

beaker

Reaction score
i have a turbo dragon and ride with two other turbo dragons.None of us have had any problems with our sleds running poor.I dont understand what some people are talking about seeing turbo sleds broken down or running crappy.Yes your first couple rides you will have to tune it.But after that u should be able to ride and not worry about anything.I guess if you take the turbo out of your 89 chevy sprint and put it in your sled in your buddies back yard you may have a problem with it.But if you buy a kit from a reputable company it should run good.

400hp

Reaction score
get one...i have both 4 stroke and 2 stroke turbos and they run fast!! they cost $$$ to build them but stock sleds just didnt cut it for the ridding i wanted to do. Main thing is dont cut corners in the build and have somebody that actually rides turbo sleds consistantly build sled for you.......good luck

400hp

Reaction score
i recall yesterday after leaving a certain custom snowmobile shop. a guy was almost in tears. i wish i would have left it stock he kept saying (sniffles)! he needed a hug...but ive been preaching that all along sooo i didnt.

when you get out as much as i do i get to see alot of the ups and downs of these turbos. on average 1% actually run better than a factory sled. if they run at all. i can count on one hand the amount of turbo sleds i have seen whip up a hill and not miss a beat. the rest pop fart and tumble back down because the rider wasnt expecting it to cut out like that!. down to the bottom to mess with the fuel box for a bit.

it is extremely embarrasing to watch a 30000 turbo sled try to touch a stock sleds mark and he just cant quite do it. maybe if he fawks with the fuel map a littlemore he will get it there!

i lean towards riding stock sleds and pushing them to there absolute maximum. i still havent done it. this is just one way of looking at it. the turbos that i have seen run looked and felt downright fun and scary. however they all shared a common issue. turbo lag. there is no escaping it and dont even attempt to tell me yours has none! because it does. those critical milliseconds of throttle response are what keep technical riders pushing forward.

and you cant use the excuse about chris burandt. he rides at 12000ft. ever ride a stock sled at that elevation? barf. you learn to ride a laggy turbo.

so in short. most turbos suck. a few run amazing. will you get yours to run like that? hope so otherwise it will be countless wasted trips and your good riding buddies will slowly start slipping away because no one wants to deal with that.

just keep in mind your taking an already VERY complex machine, adding another 200 parts to a seperate mechanical system, and then taking it into the backcountry.

most areas that you ride you can find factory parts for factory sleds. well goodluck when you need a boondocker box because it cooked, or an 02 sensor, fuel pump, and the list goes on. this is the biggest issue i see. to many guys going down for the weekend becaue of a simple part that just isnt common in the small sledding towns.

just my opinion and findings. and dont take this wrong. ive piloted a few turbos that were a blast.

my advice for anyone looking at modding there sled. add 3" track. pull rope and go. the fun factor is high and it never ends.

thats funny!!!!

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe there are way more real builder kits out there that are frustrating the owner because they dont have a clue on how to tune when there is a hickup and they are finiky efi or not have run the gauntlet with them and learned a lot. The average sled owner should shy away from them. On the hill 99% of sleds with the hood open is a turbo.

in the group i ride with only one rider is always fawking with his sled. and do you know what? its the guy that had to be different then all of us and go with a u s turbo builder. if he would of ran what we told him to do. he wouldnt have the problems. problem is. theres a lot of so called turbo guys out there and i only believe maybe 2 or 3 of them. havent done anything more then changed my oil and a belt every year for the last 3 years!

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maxwell you crack me up. 1% lmffao.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i recall yesterday after leaving a certain custom snowmobile shop. a guy was almost in tears. i wish i would have left it stock he kept saying (sniffles)! he needed a hug...but ive been preaching that all along sooo i didnt....blah blah blah

Maxwell you live in your own small world I think. LHF doesn't think that turbo's can touch him and now you too? LMAO. The whole "turbos don't run in the trees" thing is a late 1990's attitude, just like your attitude that 4 strokes can't boondock. I think you have some good knowledge and I think you mean well but I think that you and some others are stuck in a mindset that just doesn't hold true anymore. Look at how many people on this thread have indicated they will never go back to a NA sled because of their turbo. I watch one of my riding buddies prove you wrong about boondocking with a boosted 4 stroke everytime we go out. I've seen lots of guys do just what you claim can't be done, do it like you in the trees, and then walk it to the top of the biggest hill on the last 12" of track and on a sled with more than just a 3" track installed....Not everyone wants to ride a Ski Doo with a 3" track in the trees, lots of guys like their turbo's and they make them run hard in all types of riding, and more than just 1%. Not trying to be a dick, sorry if I am.

It's 2012 folks, don't look now....but there's a 2 stroke turbo in the trees (and its running no less)..............Tree Riding Turbo M8 Colorado - YouTube :D

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice post modman the new turbo technology is pretty good compared to a decade ago and with a properly setup 2 stroke the size of your balls is about all that's gonna hold you back. Even the new 4 strokes are better lighter more efficient I personally ride a custom built mountain magic 1200 Doo with pile of goodies and it never ceases to amaze me what it'll do and were it'll go last time in sicamous it defied gravity in front of a dozen people it was kinda neat. With the right builder and today's technology the possibilities are endless. If your thinking of a 2 smoker turbo give Ken a call at mountain magic he'll tell ya what works.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell you live in your own small world I think. LHF doesn't think that turbo's can touch him and now you too? LMAO. The whole "turbos don't run in the trees" thing is a late 1990's attitude, just like your attitude that 4 strokes can't boondock. I think you have some good knowledge and I think you mean well but I think that you and some others are stuck in a mindset that just doesn't hold true anymore. Look at how many people on this thread have indicated they will never go back to a NA sled because of their turbo. I watch one of my riding buddies prove you wrong about boondocking with a boosted 4 stroke everytime we go out. I've seen lots of guys do just what you claim can't be done, do it like you in the trees, and then walk it to the top of the biggest hill on the last 12" of track and on a sled with more than just a 3" track installed....Not everyone wants to ride a Ski Doo with a 3" track in the trees, lots of guys like their turbo's and they make them run hard in all types of riding, and more than just 1%. Not trying to be a dick, sorry if I am.

It's 2012 folks, don't look now....but there's a 2 stroke turbo in the trees (and its running no less)..............Tree Riding Turbo M8 Colorado - YouTube :D

That is such a good point Modman. The turbo in the trees thing. For me I'm not super bad azz, but my husband does give me his boosted sled when we are riding really tough stuff in the trees. The extra power gives me extra confidence and self assuredness to pick where I want to go on my own terms. I got my arse kicked trying to poach everyone elses track when stuff got tight and steep, started to mess with my mind which made me fear the dredded "tree"...... After riding a boosted sled in the trees, I learned better how to negotiate my lines which actually help me on my Stock 2012 155 Pro

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell you live in your own small world I think. LHF doesn't think that turbo's can touch him and now you too? LMAO. The whole "turbos don't run in the trees" thing is a late 1990's attitude, just like your attitude that 4 strokes can't boondock. I think you have some good knowledge and I think you mean well but I think that you and some others are stuck in a mindset that just doesn't hold true anymore. Look at how many people on this thread have indicated they will never go back to a NA sled because of their turbo. I watch one of my riding buddies prove you wrong about boondocking with a boosted 4 stroke everytime we go out. I've seen lots of guys do just what you claim can't be done, do it like you in the trees, and then walk it to the top of the biggest hill on the last 12" of track and on a sled with more than just a 3" track installed....Not everyone wants to ride a Ski Doo with a 3" track in the trees, lots of guys like their turbo's and they make them run hard in all types of riding, and more than just 1%. Not trying to be a dick, sorry if I am.It's 2012 folks, don't look now....but there's a 2 stroke turbo in the trees (and its running no less)..............Tree Riding Turbo M8 Colorado - YouTube :D
There you go again putting words in my mouth. What I said was my sled sent some turbo Yamahas home early at the snow drags in 2005. Im sure it could still send some turbos home early in 2012. Im also positive it will spank SOME turbos in the steep and deep in 2012.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There you go again putting words in my mouth. What I said was my sled sent some turbo Yamahas home early at the snow drags in 2005. Im sure it could still send some turbos home early in 2012. Im also positive it will spank SOME turbos in the steep and deep in 2012.
I'm not starting anything but what do you ride?I notice on all the comments your sled will supposedly kick anything out there.Granted it is damn funny tho!!Sitting on the sidelines watching you guys duke it out on here is hilarious!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbos, when set up properly, have the upside of crazy power, and allowing you to go where you can't (and probably shouldn't) be lol. Downside is cost of fuel, accelerated engine wear. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most people do not use them to thier full potential. I've ridden a couple turbo sleds, and while they do increase the grin factor, I don't have the money to spend on the cost of purchasing and maintaining one (except maybe the four strokes). To be perfectly honest, I ride an M1000 because I've gotten lazy in my old age, and I don't have to work nearly as hard to negotiate a tough climb as I did on 800's, 700's, and 600's.
Boost is addictive (ask anyone here that rides one) - you can never have too much power, and pretty soon you're spending + $250 in gas to sled for the weekend, and another $1500 to maintain it for the season. I only manage to ride 40-50 days a season, and I know I would ride less if I had a turbo.

Top Bottom