Turbo Viper 153x3" vs 2.6"

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Due to the torque 4 strokes tend to be trenchy taking off from a stop. I think if you're a mountain rider you will want at least a 162. I ride with a guy on an m800 with the 153 3" and it's a wheelie machine. I like the 3" tracks but some guys don't.

Feeze

Reaction score
It's easy to stop and go in the deep stuff.... I am more of a tree rider and it works well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on 153x3 vs 2.6" on a Viper???

Here are some thoughts on a turboed Yamy with the 3".
At CR-racing, unless the customer really wants a 3", it is recommended to use a 2.5-2.6 track.
Why, unlike a 2stroke with limited HP and limited track speed a turboed Yamy will easily delaminate a 3" track. You will go for a ride and it is common after the ride to find one or more lugs missing.
The 3" has too much lug weight and at high track speeds (100km/hr+) that can be generated by a turboed yamy the centrifugal force alone can cause the lugs to rip off.
So unless your a rider that doesn't really use the potential of the HP of your Yamy, 2.6 is the better option.
Though after saying that, a turboed yamaha on a 3" lug has incredible potential in the steep and deep. Personally, i don't think i would use a 3" lug on a 153 turbo yamy, one a turboed Yamaha with a 153 is really under tracked, unless she is a low boost setup....my opinion

Top Bottom