Turbo hose blows off

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Im having an issue with a turbo hose blowing off between the turbo and Posi Air shutoff on a brand new CAT 279c skidsteer, it mostly blows off on the Posi side...I made sure that it was nice and clean on the inside and I used constant torque clamps and double clamped it on both ends still blows off....I wasn't working the unit just driving it in high speed...just wondering if anyone has come across this before or has any ideas?

thanks for any input

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive ran into this before on the 3/4 ton diesel trucks working on them.... It may sound a little silly, but spray the inside of the tube and the outside of the pipe with some hairspray... stick the hose on and torque down as per spec.... Once the alcohol evaporates out of the hairspray all that's left is the sticky tacky crap that makes the ol ladys hair stick in one place..... Ive done this a lot and it seems to work... Even makes it a little tough to get off after...

Also, maybe take a look at the turbo to see if the Blow-off valve is working properly.... there is a valve that will relieve excess boost from the turbo to eliminating an over-boost scenario.... If the Blow-off valve or waste-gate is not functioning, you more than likely allowing too much boost to enter the system... If that's the case be happy its the Turbo- hose blowing off and not something that's going to cause more damage to the engine....

Hope this helps
Cheers

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How was the valve installed? Was the tubing cut for it to fit? If so, was the rolled edge cut off the plumbing cutoff? I have seen that before causing the rubber hose to come off. Another way to go is strap kits to hold it all together.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey guys Im having an issue with a turbo hose blowing off between the turbo and Posi Air shutoff on a brand new CAT 279c skidsteer, it mostly blows off on the Posi side...I made sure that it was nice and clean on the inside and I used constant torque clamps and double clamped it on both ends still blows off....I wasn't working the unit just driving it in high speed...just wondering if anyone has come across this before or has any ideas?

thanks for any input

Being you say it is a brand new machine... What does your dealer say about this ?

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive ran into this before on the 3/4 ton diesel trucks working on them.... It may sound a little silly, but spray the inside of the tube and the outside of the pipe with some hairspray... stick the hose on and torque down as per spec.... Once the alcohol evaporates out of the hairspray all that's left is the sticky tacky crap that makes the ol ladys hair stick in one place..... Ive done this a lot and it seems to work... Even makes it a little tough to get off after...

Also, maybe take a look at the turbo to see if the Blow-off valve is working properly.... there is a valve that will relieve excess boost from the turbo to eliminating an over-boost scenario.... If the Blow-off valve or waste-gate is not functioning, you more than likely allowing too much boost to enter the system... If that's the case be happy its the Turbo- hose blowing off and not something that's going to cause more damage to the engine....

Hope this helps
Cheers
Thanks for the tip! I will give that a try and will take a closer look at the waste gate!
Do you think that the flexin and torquing of the engine would make it come off? I wonder if I cut the rubber hose in half and installed a flex tube if it would help?

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How was the valve installed? Was the tubing cut for it to fit? If so, was the rolled edge cut off the plumbing cutoff? I have seen that before causing the rubber hose to come off. Another way to go is strap kits to hold it all together.
So the the valve is bolted right up to the intake and where the factory elbow would of been and the rubber hose would be in between them two and yes the factory rubber tubbing was cut to fit it.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's one of our rental machines out in the field and Im the field tech for Cat Rental and out of all the machines we have in the fleet with the same set ups the is the first time we came across this issue.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run a bead with a mig around the end of the pipe, simulates the rolled edge they normally have. There's a place in Calgary that sells better hose also that won't tend to balloon when it's hot and under pressure. Can't think of the name right now though.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And sorry to clarify there are rolled edges on both the pipe off the turbo and the Posi Valve, I will try to get a pic of the set up tomorrow

mikewayne

Reaction score
Website
www.usasuperbikes.com
These seems to be a very common and recurring problem, and different people seem to have different solutions to it and thus it finally comes down to trial and error method, so i hope everyone finds some solution or the other working for them.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Hope this helps
Cheers

x2 was going to put this just by reading the title, but he beat me to it, probably the best thing you can do. Lubricates it while you put it on, and then sticks when it dries, but is not permanent either. This is also very helpful when you are putting grips on handlebars!

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hair spray, and mikalor clamps. Typically boots will come apart before that setup.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the hose is blowing off, either it's too big, like 2.5" over a 2" intake, or the wastegate isn't dumping boost and you are over boosting

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys! I will confirm the operation of the waste gate tomorrow and the hose isn't too small...I have to roll it around the rim to get it on. :beer:

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the hair spray and mikalor clamp seemed to have done the trick but I was getting some weird looks from the operator when I pulled out the can of hair spray lol

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the hair spray and mikalor clamp seemed to have done the trick but I was getting some weird looks from the operator when I pulled out the can of hair spray lol

Yeah Mikalor's are monsters, they have held well over 100psi of boost for me.

Top Bottom