Tunes While you Ride

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I just love to rock out while i ride, it always gets me so amped up. Just wondering for those that do, what is your setup to make the most of the situtation.

Right now i have a nano ipod with a wireless waterproof remote mounted on my bars. Works awesome with big buttons so i can use with gloves. I use buds but they have hooks that keep them from being pulled out me ears. I am looking to mount headphones (similar to the ones you find in snowboarding helmets) in the inside of my helmet so i dont get that unconfortable pain that buds will give after a while. My favorite tunes are really nasty dnb and dubstep, but love the old school heavy metal.

Dont get me wrong i love the braaap, but its always the same tune. For those that say i want to hear if my sled sounds right.... trust me, you still can.

got my remote from here

Cheers

GuitarMan69

Reaction score
Buddy of mine just got a helmet with blue tooth, He turns his IPhone on and lets her rip, I dont like music when I ride but that just me.

sledrs

Reaction score
Buddy of mine just got a helmet with blue tooth, He turns his IPhone on and lets her rip, I dont like music when I ride but that just me.

wouldnt hear an ipod over your sled anyway!

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like ridin dirt bikes with the tunes cranked! I use an ipod shuffle and clip it to my jersey and run the head phones up inside my jersey so they stay outta the way. Only tried it sleddin a few times tho but its awesome

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can hear an ipod over the sled. I tried it a few times ipod nano with skull candy ear buds seemed to work well but i also wear a klim balaclava keeping the ear buds in tight. I dont ride with the ipod anymore because of beacon interuptions and the fact that i cant hear how well my sled is running and for me that is crucial. but I do turn them on when eating lunch get a biy more jacked up haha

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next, I added an iPod to the mix of devices: now the interference was much worse, and occurred in all beacon models. My conclusion: never tour in potential avalanche terrain with an iPod! The potential to have the iPod still on (yet not noticed) during a search could cause serious problems with any avalanche beacon.
I tested a “smart” phone, specifically an iPhone, which runs on the GSM band (i.e., AT&T). I changed my testing protocol this time to mimic my prior range tests for initial signal acquisition, i.e., start from far outside the acquisition range and then keep walking straight toward the target until a signal was acquired.
I held the iPhone (while making a call, although this probably doesn’t make any difference, since the actual cell transmission band is unlikely to be the source of the interference) close to the searching beacon. I tested three beacons, all of which fared far worse than with the previously tested electronics devices.
Specifically, the Pieps DSP immediately ghosted with its symbols for more than three victims, a distance readout of about four meters, and nonsensical directional indicators. I stopped the test right there, since clearly the actual victim would be impossible to find with that kind of interference.
The Ortovox S1 immediately yet briefly ghosted, but then the screen cleared . . . and stayed clear until I was less than four meters from the actual victim: this was even more scary, since the searcher would be entirely unaware of the interference problem.
The Barryvox Pulse ghosted, but seemed to fare a bit better than the others, although the interference was still a serious problem. Given the obvious problems caused by a “smart” phone, I didn’t bother testing any additional beacons. My conclusion: keep any “smart” phone entirely off while touring in potential avalanche terrain!
Lastly, I tested whether an iPod or iPhone could interfere with a victim’s transmission. Instead of merely placing the target beacon (which here was a Pieps Freeride) on the snow, an assistant held the beacon pointing toward me, but also held either an iPod or iPhone close to the transmitting beacon. My range results while searching with an S1, DSP, and Pulse were the same as when the beacon was on the snow with no electronic devices on either end. My conclusion: if you care only about yourself (i.e., your ease of being found), then feel free to play those tunes and chat away!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have tried but even with noise cancelling headphones I still have to turn the music up way to loud to hear it over my sled. A fully cranked iPod is not good for the ears. My ski helmet however has built in headphones with blue tooth and it is sweet!

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to bring the headphones but only for those long boring trail rides .. when im riding in the mountain I don't need my music growing the size of my balls and make me do things I normally wouldn't ... because that's exactly what happens when I rock them skiing :)

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so is it the phone transmissions themselves or the ipod> if a phone is placed in Airplane mode will it still interfere with the transceiver? I know my phone would be dead in half an hour if it was non stop searching for a signal that not there in the back country.

Top Bottom