Truck Campers vs Trailers

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck Camper $$$$ vs Trailer $$$$

A new 10.5' truck camper with one slide, awnings on the rear, side and over the slide and a 2700kw genset can range from $35,000 to $45,000 depending on some of the other options...

Solar power
Inverter
satalite
TV, DVD, CD player
Dry or Wet Bath
Fridge size
Furnace size
AC size

For that kind of coin you get a real nice 30' fith wheel...

So I asked at two different dealers ...the answer was being a much smaller unit the cost of engeneering to keep the units light weight, well balanced, functional and ergonomic...were simply more then designing and building 5th wheels or pull trailers....

I call bulshit....I think the market is still that much smaller and it's simply a supply and demand issue....they must make a killing selling truck campers...

Anyone have a newer 10.5 ish size camper they want to sell...

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No kidding. I would love to get a brand new one and keep the motorhome. But a brand new one at 10,000 not 40,000. I dont understand the pricing.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a top of the line 5 th wheel 30 feet ( 33.5 overall ) for sale.

20000 takes it

sent from my htc

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Look for a late 90's early 2000's bigfoot, they are solid shell, awesom insulation and nicely laid out.....I've seen them in the 8-12K range.....

You are correct....just sold the trailer we had....we have an older 9' camper and want to get a newer 10.5' with a slide out.....

Bigfoot 15c9.5FS for Long Box truck - Alberta Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.

2006 Bigfoot Camper - Model - 25C94 Coach #206-016 - Alberta RV For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.

BIGFOOT Camper 30C10.11SL - Edmonton Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

Last edited:

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I have a 10 foot 2007 camper for sale in great condition it sleeps 4 fits a short box truck has a fantastic fan and bathroom

Last edited:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hijacking my own thread....

So I've found a lance 11.5' camper and the posted wet weight with all factory options is 4,200 lbs. He's hauling it on a Ford F450

a Artic fox 10.5' wet weight of 4,172 lbs He's using a 2008 Dodge 5500, as he need to haul a heavy trailer with it.

2001 Big Foot 10.8' wet weight 3,100 lbs

2004 Big Foot 10.8' wet weight 1700kg (3,748 lbs) ( This guy says he hauls it on a 2004 Dodge 3/4 )

The payload of our 1 ton Dodge dually is 5,100 lbs .....

The weights dont all add up, I dont mind pushing the truck but I need to haul a trailer as well so I want some payload left for hitch weight..

So overload springs, sway bar and air bags....but if I'm ever weighed I'd be over weight....

Really liked the extra room the slide out add's but the extra weight....cant decide what to do....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Slides do allow for a lot of extra room, however on the flip side they ad weight and by many accounts are the weak link in the chain with regards to leeks...

those weights seem high but I'm used to an 8' and most people refernce the weights in dry, so I suppose they are likely accurate.

I hauled my 8', 1760lbs dry (so with water, food, supplies, propane, etc. etc. etc. I can see 3000lbs+) with my 1994 GMC 2500, 6.5 diesel and a 18' flatdeck with 4 quads and 2 dirtbikes..... truck handled the load no problem but I may not have been legal.

If your going for a 10-5 or 10-8 keep in mind the need for a hitch extension and how that might impact your towing.

Personally I love the idea of a camper as opposed to a trailer, makes for hauling boats, quads, etc... so much easier and unlike the trailer on the back of a 5th wheel you can actually go into BC with the camper set-up....

my 2 cents....

I'm hijacking my own thread....

So I've found a lance 11.5' camper and the posted wet weight with all factory options is 4,200 lbs. He's hauling it on a Ford F450

a Artic fox 10.5' wet weight of 4,172 lbs He's using a 2008 Dodge 5500, as he need to haul a heavy trailer with it.

2001 Big Foot 10.8' wet weight 3,100 lbs

2004 Big Foot 10.8' wet weight 1700kg (3,748 lbs) ( This guy says he hauls it on a 2004 Dodge 3/4 )

The payload of our 1 ton Dodge dually is 5,100 lbs .....

The weights dont all add up, I dont mind pushing the truck but I need to haul a trailer as well so I want some payload left for hitch weight..

So overload springs, sway bar and air bags....but if I'm ever weighed I'd be over weight....

Really liked the extra room the slide out add's but the extra weight....cant decide what to do....

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
With our 9.5ft Bigfoot on our first truck, 1997 Dodge diesel 3/4 ton, hauled it okay with 20ft trailer and 3 quads. But hubby moved us up to 1 ton dodge diesel dually and way better, no swaying, same trailer, we were just overweight with 4 quads. Moved up to GMC diesel dually 1ton, have not weighed anything but better off. Offhand don't know the weight of the camper but definitely lighter without slide. We actually had first wanted the10' something Okanagan with a slide but did not have the truck for it at the time. Like what we have now, works great, but are starting to think about toyhauler because we don't need to haul 3 machines anymore, son all grown up and not really interested in coming anymore, too busy making money.lol

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our biggest concern is having some capacity for thetrailer, if it’s the boat or quads I'm not as concerned but when we hook ontothe horse trailer ie a live load I want the truck to have a solid grasp of thetrailer and not be waving it all over the place…..
Our little 9’ lite is only 2200 lbs wet and the truck doesn’teven know it’s there….but it’s small even with two…
FYI Recently I was shown by a RV dealer ….if you find thespec sheet posted inside a closet or cupboard of your camper/trailer, it shouldhave the info re the heating system and should list the dry weight and the wetweight. The wet weight includes all the factory installed options, plus thewater and propane tanks full.
The identification tag on the outside of most campers/trailerslist a weight but it’s the dry weight without options

Thanks for the lead…..Going to check out the at a 10.5 big foot …..

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I personally would stay away from the basement model, they sit so much higher and if you don't have the dually it will sway all over the place in windy conditions.

Top Bottom