trouble removing primary

mxracer328

Reaction score
i have an 2009 xp and last night went to take the primary off. this will be the first time ive taken it off since the sled was new, it has 600 miles on it so far. i bought a clutch puller and cranked on it as much as i could, even gave it a couple love taps and still nothing. and suggestions on how to get this sucker off?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
i have an 2009 xp and last night went to take the primary off. this will be the first time ive taken it off since the sled was new, it has 600 miles on it so far. i bought a clutch puller and cranked on it as much as i could, even gave it a couple love taps and still nothing. and suggestions on how to get this sucker off?

Seriously the water method works the best. Turn the sled on its side remove clutch bolt fill with water, replace bolt wrapped with teflon tape and tighten. Because there is no direct contact you can even use an impact gun. Clutch will pop off with a loud pop.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on what the doc says. works the best. i have had mine pop off so hard it hit the end of the bolt.

mxracer328

Reaction score
ill give that a go toninght or tomorrow night, thanks for the tip

Dagger

Reaction score
tighten up you're puller (with a little grease on the threads) same as before and pour some boiling water between the sheaves where the taper goes in the clutch and it'll pop right off. .. once off dont forget you have to leave the clutch puller tool in and give it a couple whaps while holding the other half of the clutch to seperate the clutch halves as well, as there is a taper also holding the two halves together :)

mxracer328

Reaction score
tighten up you're puller (with a little grease on the threads) same as before and pour some boiling water between the sheaves where the taper goes in the clutch and it'll pop right off. .. once off dont forget you have to leave the clutch puller tool in and give it a couple whaps while holding the other half of the clutch to seperate the clutch halves as well, as there is a taper also holding the two halves together :)

so pour the water down the "valley" (where the belt rides?)

Dagger

Reaction score
so pour the water down the "valley" (where the belt rides?)
Yep that is correct .. that is where the taper of the crank goes into the clutch .. the aluminum will expand rapidly with the boiling water and the clutch will pop right off... again make sure you got good tension on the puller first .. prolly already know but mark all your orientations of clutch halves etc prior to seperating & torque to 85 to 93 ftlbs on reassembly.

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
Seriously the water method works the best. Turn the sled on its side remove clutch bolt fill with water, replace bolt wrapped with teflon tape and tighten. Because there is no direct contact you can even use an impact gun. Clutch will pop off with a loud pop.

Yup. I could not find my clutch puller. So put the sled on it's side, put teflon on the bolt (make sure it goes over the end for a seal), used the impact and popped that clutch off easy.

Avoid using antifreeze if at all possible, it really makes a mess.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water in the hole is the only way to go. I don't even try with the puller anymore. I like the washer fluid idea on the cold days too!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water in the hole is the only way to go. I don't even try with the puller anymore. I like the washer fluid idea on the cold days too!
there is another thread up now about breaking a puller off inside the clutch. clearly there are many that have not been enlightened.

mxracer, use the water trick....it is so quick and easy you won't believe it. if I didn't use the puller solely for splitting the halves, I woulda thrown it in the bush a long time ago.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dido to all the above except the impact part, IMO impacts should not be used anywhere near your crank!

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh I used the water method last week cause I misplaced my pulled and I was amazed at how effortless it was. W I'll only use pulled now to separate sheaves

mxracer328

Reaction score
well i got it off last night, in about 2 seconds with the water down the hole method, i couldnt believe it, barley had to crank the bolt, and it popped right off. got a new way to do it for sure.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

MX, a couple weeks we went through the exact same thing on my sons 09. Earlier post. I twisted the puller so hard that it snapped in half inside the primary and wasn't able to reach it at all. I Freaked :eek:. Now what!! The best and easiest (IMO) was to use a bezel torch. Warm up the shaft inbetween the sheaves. Nice and easy back and forth for about 2-3 minutes. Make sure not create a heat effected zone. (Heat too long in one spot) Use a deadblow a couple easy taps or use your puller and it will slide off like butter. I will never use a puller again after the experiance I had. Good Luck..

mxracer328

Reaction score
MX, a couple weeks we went through the exact same thing on my sons 09. Earlier post. I twisted the puller so hard that it snapped in half inside the primary and wasn't able to reach it at all. I Freaked :eek:. Now what!! The best and easiest (IMO) was to use a bezel torch. Warm up the shaft inbetween the sheaves. Nice and easy back and forth for about 2-3 minutes. Make sure not create a heat effected zone. (Heat too long in one spot) Use a deadblow a couple easy taps or use your puller and it will slide off like butter. I will never use a puller again after the experiance I had. Good Luck..

well i got it off last night by pouring water down the hole ad wrapping the bolt in teflon tape and screwing it in. i did bent my puller tho, so from now on im only suing the puller to seperate the sheaves.

Top Bottom